Unable to forward ports

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fooshi, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

My shitty setup (SHDSL > through bridged P-793H v2 to P-2612HNU-F3) somehow won't forward.

Things I've tried:
    - Disabling firewall on both router and PC.
    - SUCCESSFULLY followed these steps multiple times.* (Insanity comes to mind here.)
    - Updating firmware on the P-2612. Port 8001 was open for approx. a minute after I tested the port on the new firmware. After that, same shit happened. No idea why. ("Port xxxx is closed")
    - Reset router.
    - Violated my screen's feelings a lot.

[​IMG]

QTPWBA: Questions that will probably be asked

My ISP said port 8000 is reserved to some shit.
    I have a bridge setup because my household needs wireless. (Cheapest way to do it. Purchasing an SHDSL router with wireless functions would be too expensive for my peasant economy.)
    As for the bridged modem (if it at all has any impact on why this doesn't work), I do not want to reset it. It came with a sticker on it telling me not to reset it because it was in bridged mode. I don't want to fuck up.
    My ISP will try switching my connection from SHDSL to ADSL on the 26th. YAY!

* Same procedure, different router.

What do?

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

fooshi... most newer routers are Upnp(Universal Plug N Play). This allows software to tell the router what ports to open and what ports to close without needing admin access. Perhaps you have something on your computer telling it to close ports. Have you tried a different range? Try using Steams Port Range... https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

You can disable upnp (it is actually recommended you do so by experts) by going to Network settings > Home Networking > UPNP Then disable it from there. It is possible for you to visit a specially crafted web page that tells your router to open all ports due to upnp.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. Fooshi

I've tried disabling UPnP, but with no luck.
    ukgamer did two port scans and found 7676 to be open both times. However, streaming with Icecast did not work through that port for some reason, despite the fact that it is open.

Scratch that. ukgamer haxord my router and shit works nao.

Nevermind. Same shit again. Closed itself for some retarded reason.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Damn I feel sorry for you. I have had router woes before, (sometimes 90% packet loss in source games!) eventually I ended up getting a different modemrouter!

5. Fooshi

It works every now and then. If I disable the rule and enable it, it usually works until the router restarts or I restart my PC. Too much work for something that should be working perfectly fine, though.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I have router issues too... some times the damn thing freezes... like every wireless router I have ever had regardless of maker starts to freeze after one year.