Turrets placement box is way too high.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Xyaminou, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

but, collision height is not model height, right?

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

It is the same height, due to you being able to stand on top of the characters head. If it wasn't the same height you would either be standing in the air or you would be inside the head of the player.

Why would it not be the same height? :)

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

because often in source games, when collision is on, i stand inside the head. could vary on the model idk. garrysmod stuff

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That's just the thing, they don't. I changed the parameters for the level 1 MG turret, worked fine, but the level 3 did not inherit those parameters.

I do remember reading about the size conversation for hammer units, but even knowing that it's not easy to grasp in-game.

5. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

You're right, this a bug I'm fixing in the process - the collision properties should inherit but the code is clearly wrong here. All the other values inherit - but not from MG to ML, btw, only the same buildingtype but higher levels. So I think the ML's not having the property is another bug. I'll test the current behaviour, but it seems to me that both the visualization and the actual collision check should just use whatever is set in the scripts, with no additional height added at all.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

HMMM? You gotta elaborate now man

7. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Thanks LordDZ, I got crossed up in my reading somewhere.

8. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

PYA, I've kind of learned that you should just get your project done and working first then present it to the tribe for a vote.
    Details before delivery can often invite motivation killing conversations.

9. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Gotcha. Thought you may have been far along enough with it to share. No pressure. I totally get it.

10. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

@Tama

While you're at it... could you look at having the restriction bounds rotate with the building?
    When you spin a building, the visible corners appear to clear obstacles but it seems the restriction bounds remain unchanged.
    At least according to the visible helper box, but seems true of the physical placement too.

Xyaminou likes this.
  11. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I intentionally made it like this because I figured it was more friendly to the player. It used to be as you say, that the bounds rotated with the building, and I found it quite annoying. Once you select a position to place the building by holding down the left mouse button, you cannot move the building anymore, so the only thing you could do if the desired orientation was red, was to release on an invalid position and move the building over a bit and start rotating again. The way it is now, if the building is green while hovering, it will stay that way while you rotate. Consider VF and barracks, where it is very important which way it is rotated. If you always need the building to be, say, 90 degrees rotated from the default it has when you select it from the menu, then effectively there's no bounds checking for you; you just get to keep trying over and over. I've done this, it's not fun.

12. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

I see your logic, but I do so miss being able to squeeze buildings in to tighter proximity when needed.

13. Ranger

Ranger Member

ye me too. top kek example in crossfire.