Troubleshooting forums + Basic compiling question

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by The Buttery Lobster, May 19, 2006.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Is there any other way to seal the map, other than your basic 2d or 3d skybox and a brush floor? Because, ground level displacement or not, that's still the standard, right? I've got that much, right? And also, is there any other way to create a structure, then be able to paste it into another map, other than http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...h_XSI_Mod_Tool
    "Converting brush structures in your map into a prop static with XSI Mod Tool"
    I haven't even LOOKED at this tut, I'm just curious.

2. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

doh also i suggest you download vmex and decompile any map or a basic empires map to learn on how they did it , i think while the decompiler broke down there map it might have broke it down into a few to many pieces but it still worked wonders on finding out how to tie entities together for empires

3. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

see above i added to it ... well you can seal a map with any solid brush i think... nodraw will do it im pritty sure , but if you use anything to seal off the outside besides a skybox then you will get that hall of mirrors thing going {er that is you can use any generic texture also sealing off the map is done to prevent the leaks but if you just make a big o' brush around the intire map and then texture it with a skybox texture then goto hollow it does all you need to prevent leaks, if you dont even plan on having the sky seen then dont make it so anybody can see it i guess basicly the skybox texture is memory effecient}

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  4. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

you can select anything and make it a prefab just like in old hammer it looks like ,., here is an example of the \sourcesdk\bin\hl2prefabs folder had that gard tower from hl2 single player ,,, i think thats the folder but basicly they selected all this crap then clicked on create prefab and gave it a name ... now i can open there vmf file select all there crap [copyit] and then open my map and paste it into it ...
    [​IMG]

5. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

wow, thank you for the whole "a displacement not a normal brush" speach. i was really dreading have to build a huge box for the floor and carve out everything that was not a hill.

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

HA HA, oh lord, that would be living hell.

By the by, don't use carve, carve is bad, mmkay?

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i ment carve in the general sense of the word, not the specific tool. ive read enough tutorials to gather that carve is not to be used under any circumstances, ever.

8. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

Carving is actually not that bad as long as you exactly know what you are doing.
    People can mess up using vertex modification, too .. but using carve is even easier to screw up ;)

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

geodesic dome + carve = fun :)

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Anything that is simple enough to be carved out without difficulty should be done by hand.

But this is an argument for another day.