Training Server

Discussion in 'General' started by rampantandroid, Mar 8, 2008.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I had wanted to post this last night but was too tired:

The training server as it stands now, does not train very well in my opinion. As it stands the fast research times teach composite armor is the shit (even on low res maps like Crossroads when the team has all of 3 refs) and furthermore, the autobalance setup, to say the LEAST - is ANNOYING, and USELESS. There is NOTHING more annoying than building up your team, and being in the top 3-4 people on the server only to be switched to the opposite team...to suddenly work against everything you built up. That's punishing and wrong, and what ends up happening is people just switch back to the team they were on.

I know Krenzo stated he would not implement an autobalance for the reason I just stated.

2. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah srsly remove the res and tech rates it does nothing but mess up the new players.

3. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Doesn't CW run training server?

And I agree, it should be all default. Tech Rates and Res changes are for "fun servers."

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Nah StevenT runs it some guy in CW

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i like the idea of a training server but giving people loads of res isn't exactly training them for empires. it just teaches them that the weaker armours are crap.

if you want a true training server, i'd say prevent research. you get to learn the game without any of the complications (or "unfairness" against new players who don't know what to research) of all the difficult stuff.

but nobody would play it probably :(

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

ive heard there are some trainingsmaps out there, vehicle combat, squad
    combat and so forth trainingsmaps...

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Just load up the snow battle with a flag in it's middle (I'm tired, so I don't remember the name)..

There you got no research, limited vehicles and some angry people who wants to ban you for every move you do with your tank :)

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Nope, he used to run it. "The training server's console" does, whoever that may be.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

So the server is (arguably) alive?

10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

A real person runs it but doesn't want their name public. Anyway, I agree. The settings a detriment to training noobs.

11. taiiat

taiiat Member

yea, you shouldnt prevent research, that would discourage them from trying to learn. just the research could go slower than normal so they are used to it slower than normal, then when they join server and its faster, its much more fun for them, since they will not be impatient. that way they can know how to excel in the game without having a huge expensive tank. sound good? it does to me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The training server is alright, but it's better for people learning how to be infantry rather than com.

Also, a large problem with the training server is skill stacking the Brenodi Empire because they want dual railed heavies with comp armor. A lot of people on BE rush that and win, and then think they are awesome.

The other problem with quick research on that server is that it gives the impression that turret farms are the shit. it takes 60 seconds to get lvl 3 turrets researched I believe. (30 seconds for lvl 2 and 30 for lvl 3).

On the server you will also rarely see anything other than electrical or mechanics researched.

anyhow, if it weren't for the skill stacking constantly, it would be alright.

13. taiiat

taiiat Member

i agree. usin the BE heavies does kinda draw noobs that think they r good just bc they are usin an uber tank. real awesomenes comes from an infantry or LT takin out a heavy. that is true skill. but again, if the noobs get used to having really fast research time, then they will leave the server ehile its researching as its takin 'forever'. you have to accomodate the people with not much patience and like fast paced stuff like in HL2: DM or CS:S. i still feel its best for them to get used to slower research so if they wanna leave you can tell em that gameplay is actually diff. then theyll be compelled to learn the game. as they can see that the goal is to learn, and the actual game is faster paced than the training maps. and slower time is good for these guys to practice with each tech and upgrade.
    as for the turrets i think its 30secs for lvl2 and 60 for lvl3.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Random thought: Everytime i join this server i see clanners / veterans
    against newbies.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

we're running out of faster servers and so... well... I try to educate the noobs.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

No the problem is not that good players are on the training server, you need
    them to teach but they stack and thats not good for teaching.
    I think the trainingsserver is not a server on which you play to win.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I leave games when everyone is just screwing around. It's no fun to play a game and trying to be serious with people screwing around, and vice versa. I've lost track how many times I've built up 2 bases on an empty server, only to have some douche join and blow up the com on the other team because they need to feel like l337 uber shit.

18. communism

communism poof

On the training server I join NF every game since the 'better' of the new players will go BE for the dual rails like stated before.. I know I'm not the only one who does this either ;o NF stacks are phun k

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've TRIED to point out stuff like going for composite on a low res map...is a bad idea, but one of three things happens: The comm allows me to back seat comm and learns nothing, the comm ignores me, the comm reacts poorly to said advice.

The less fast servers, the better empires becomes. Speeding up gameplay fucks it up so badly.

20. Goose

Goose Member

What we need is for the server to quick auto-balancing teams or most of the vote functions taken away.
    I am all for auto-balance but the way the server does it is retarded. I think there was a 2 or 3 person difference 1/2way through the game and Killx decides to switch the teams up. Thats fine, but when they do it automatically it kicks people who are driving tanks and so there were a couple of heavies left out in the middle of the field with no drivers. Another map came on and Killx did the same thing again and I believe the comm was switched teams while he was transporting his comm vehicle. Not too smart of an idea because it leaves the comm vulnerable and many times the comms research gets stunted and ruins the game.

Today I was in a map where the spectators were just vote slaying players on one side over and over.