Toning Down Commander Targets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sneaky, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Maybe this is already being done for 2.2, but it would be nice to see the updating of commander targets replaced by a change of color of the target is an infantryman or vehicle.
    That way engineer cameras and enhanced senses become the only way to track a moving infantryman or vehicle, unless the commander spams targets, but that would require his constant attention instead of one drag click with 'a' pressed to give away all positions until the targets die.

2. z5o3

z5o3 Member

Do you get confused by it? Cause I just see it as all red diamonds have to die :)

3. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Upon rereading my suggestion I realize I didn't word it perfectly. What I meant was: remove the moving red diamonds as in when an infantryman or vehicle moves the commander target DOESN'T move with it, but simply changes color to indicate that the target isn't at the red diamond anymore.

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Target spamming should just be removed.

5. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

why not actually change the colour of the target? If the comm has ordered you to attack something, couldn't its skin just aquire a red hue, and you get a direction on its original location: that way, you'll know if there's a priority target that needs to be taken out, but you won't get an unfair advantage.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  6. President Dick

President Dick Member

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Red NF becomes redder ^^

8. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

It will still be obvious: unless the normal NF skin goes on holiday and becomes VERY badly sunburnt.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

best compromise evar!

10. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

well, it's not unfair advantage at all - both sides can use it - where is it unfair?

11. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

It's unfair if one side doesn't, whilst the other side has a newbie comm who doesn't know how to do it: no other game that I can think of gives both teams wallhax: R6V gives it to you, but to the other team, and that's single player anyway.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'd prefer a yellow cel-shaded outline around a target, maybe with some effects to make it look like a HUD addition or something.

13. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

That's just as good, and fits in better with the game world. I was just suggesting a sort of general idea to tone down commander targets, which is something that I feel needs to be done.

14. President Dick

President Dick Member

If we are going to stick with the red rhombuses of doom, can we change the shapes for infantry, buildings and vehicles?

A quick simple fix would be circle for infantry, hexagon for buildings (current repair icon basically) and keep the rhombus for vehicles.

But I'm still for the different shades, this is just an alternative.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you want, you could make target marking just appear on the minimap with hud pointers (i.e. forward, left, right, or back). But then again, how vital is this to gameplay? You gotta know it's gonna get shelved...

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Give targets red triangles above them like friendlies have green. Buildings have big ones. IMO multi targetting should just be removed. Giving targets should be = K everyone focus fire on this. Or watch out here's this guy coming up behind you. not LOL WALLHAX 4 U ALL!!! I like the idea of having on screen indicators of where the target is. Maybe give an indication of what the target is. Maybe a voice when target is given. "Attack enemy armor/infantry/structure here." Or on the HUD have different arrows for different types of targets.

17. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

No thats a crappy idea. If I see an enemy, Ill shoot him regardless of his being targeted or not. This would just make everybody blue/red.

Targets always reminded me of GRAW. Maybe it could work by LOS at all ranges. When the target goes behind something, the diamond would fade in about 3 seconds. Then close (intrabuilding) things that are targeted can be wallhacked like they are now.

Thats probably too complicated, and in the end not too important. Target spamming as it is cant significantly turn the tide of a game, so it doesnt really matter.