Today marks a new era in my life :O

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Empty

Empty Member

As of today I'll be moving out of home, I'm genuinely surprised it happened before I was around 25.

Anyways, it's a new chapter in my life and since this place is basically everyone elses blog I thought I'd share.

tips + tricks for surviving the real world are appreciated, I also welcome people calling me a faggot and that I killed empires with my particles, whatever you want to talk about, doesn't really bother me since if this thread passes 2 pages it'll be derailed to something completely irrelevant.

2. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Do you have a job? What do you do?

3. Empty

Empty Member

Uni + government payments + some savings from part time work in fast food.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Use pizza for food. It's a nutritious and ubiquitous fast food. Get a big veggie pizza and eat it throughout the week.

My favorite pizza on campus is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

That doesn't look very healthy.

6. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Nice, I'm happy for you.

Try to work out how much money you spend and compare it to how much you earn in a month and try to keep it balanced so you have more than enough for the next month. Basically, save your money, impulse buying is bad for you.

As mundane as it sounds, clean regularly.

Also are you moving in with someone or will you be alone?

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Hawaiian pizza hands down best pizza. Empty, don't resort to ramen, listen to spartacus and eat pizza. make cups out of pizza to drink, make plates out of pizzas to rest your pizzas on, pizza napkins to get the pizza onto your face. And you know those litte plastic stools that come with the pizzas to hold the box up or something? Use those as stools for your barbie dolls. Yeah thats right reuse reduce recycle up in this bitch pizza saves the world.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I'm staying with a friend for a month or so then getting a place with a different friend once his current contract ends.

I'm pretty tidy (mainly in shared spaces, my room is always a littlemessy but I like to keep other areas clean as hell)

I also plan to cook my own food most of the time, I've got a few good dishes under my sleeve (not the healthiest, but good pasta, curry, soup and knowledge of good kitchen hygeine go a long way)

Also my barbie dolls have enough stools etc, so I think I'll be donating them to the local mice to use as tables and chairs in an adorable fashion.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

If it's viable, go home at the weekends, pack up loads of food and live off of that. Your mom has to cook awesome things, so with that you'd only buy essentials like bread.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

As far as cheap fast food (or 'takeaway,' from the Britfags) goes, pizza is among the most nutritious.

See? Pizza helps you recycle as well!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Empty exercise. So important. And eat fruit every evening. important to be healthy and fit.

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Housewarming party @ Empty's place WOO
    when, where, how many people may I bring

If people are giving food advice, then settle for none less than Christian Bale himself. An apple + can of tuna a day is very cheap AND will show off those child bearing hips.

13. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

1. Learn to cook rather than buying frozen meals.

2. Money never lasts as long as you expect it to. Use a second account to make sure you always have the money for rent and bills.

3. Try to tolerate or at least not antagonize flatmates, things escalate quickly.

4. The real world sucks. People are dumb and will screw you over with their incompetence, there is shit all you can do about it. Always expect the person on the phone or the website to fail, that way you're less bitter and resentful.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My best advice is to avoid getting tied to contracts at all costs, even if it costs you a little more. Phone contracts, broadband contracts, apartment contracts. Get them for the absolute least time possible, regardless of the potential savings, because if you want to cancel it just one month earlier than you would have done had it not been for the contract length, you've instantly wiped out all your savings.

Find out what's expensive. A lot of stuff is expensive without you even realising it. Cereal is a big one here, it will surprise you just how much it costs. Analyse your receipts from shopping, and look at the larger costs. Decide how you can save on them. Salads can be cheap if you make them last, plus they're healthy. Dressing can provide most of the flavour, throw in a few croutons and you're golden. Squash/cordial is a good way of saving money. Much cheaper than buying actual juice.

Honestly, I can go on forever about this kind of shit. I don't really need to save money personally, but if I wanted to, I could honestly live on shit-all a week.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Potatoes, Roundsteak, Carrots, Onions. Pounds of everything. Pounds of stew. Freeze pounds of stew. Never go hungry again.

16. Trickster

The fact is this, how are you going to classify food? If you count it as a tasty enjoyable meal, it will cost more. If you class it as purely sustenance, then you can save huge wads of cash. But you really have to put savings in context. It's no good getting shittier things to save like £5 on your £50 bill, so you enjoy it all less, only to then spend that in one go on a takeaway. You have to be constantly aware of the money you're spending, and keep it in context with everything else you spend money on.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

arnt you supposed to be consuming and creating jobs

has my country lied to me

18. Empty

Empty Member

Kinda hard to consume $200 worth of products a day when you only make enough money to pay $20 of groceries.

That kind of shit is more about people who freak out about the economy and put all their money away and refuse to buy anything til it "tides over" thus causing the economy to get worse, because people are stupid.

19. Trickster

I prefer to save my money to spend on better things.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Trickster is a dirty commie hes the red scare trying to invade australia with his marxian economics through the use of a web forum of an obscure modification for a critically acclaimed video game ran by a company that isn't publicly traded. yarrrr