"To Play" 2014 Edition.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Jun 7, 2014.

?

Dsfargeg?

1. Bioschlock Infinite

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Gayus Sex: Human Revolution

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Umpire: Total Whore

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Buy Hot_Dogsā„¢, faggort.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh, that thing.

You still suck.

@Oddity: way to dump the Americans while still being classy about it :p

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Really? Why so

3. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Everyone knows I'm the classiest piece of shit on this forum.

Any game, book or film (or series) where there are significant plot twists that I don't see coming I replay/read/watch with the gift of hindsight. It completely changes some things.

Also if there's a bonus difficulty or extra unlockables then I go for that.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you pick Bioshock Infinite, then you'll want to use the konami code to unlock 1999 mode immediately. It's not much harder than normal difficulty.

And unless you finish the entire game, you'll never understand the twist.

Bonus: If you like that, then play the original Bioshock (there are mods to make it sufficiently difficult), then play the Bioshock Infinite Burial At Sea DLCs for maximum twists. It's really impressive how many twists they fit into a relatively short total gaming experience.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

While Bioshock's plot is definitely inter-connected in an impressive fashion, the story of "alternate reality time travelling lel" really isn't that grand, and past the story, the gameplay underneath is mediocre, really.

6. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I really ought to play the first two again. It took me years of playing a few minutes here and there to finish the first one and I don't think my brain engaged at all for the second.

7. Z100000M

i agree with the latter, but how exactly is it impressively interconnected?

In fact, whats that even supposed to mean.

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Infinites love and art-style should have went into 2 instead of being a completely different game.

The burial at sea shit is cool though.

9. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Bastion is definitely worth playing, it's main selling point is the narration/soundtack though not the gameplay.
    If you enjoy the Bastion announcer in dota you should give it a playtrough, it's not terribly long.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

The interconnected bit is about how the three games' stories are tied with each other very tightly which is visible with almost every voice recorder and bits and pieces of scenery you keep seeing.

It's impressive because you keep seeing those tie-ins throughout the game and not just once or twice throughout the hours it takes.

11. ImSpartacus

Burial At Sea was the best.

Not only is it constantly referencing the first game (because it's in rapture, derp), but it constantly references things in Infinite that make you go, "Oh my fucking god."

Burial is 100% fan service, but it's so fucking cohesive that I simply do not care.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I wish more video games did the voice recorder thing and the logs. Doom 3 did it and it really gave that game an atmosphere of shit-that-was-fine-but-went-wrong-because-these-scientist-were-doing-things-they-shouldn't-have-been-doing.

13. ImSpartacus

It's really a good indicator of whether or not the game has a story to tell.

14. Z100000M

More like its an indicator if the games story is lazy.

This shit makes sense when you have some abandoned places where logs would logically be made- laboratories, expeditions et cetera. Old games did it right (like system shock2), but it just become a fucking trend to put some colletible bullshit for an achievement and write it off as deep and intriguing storytelling. Fuck that shit. Don't put logs when it doesnt make sense for them to be. Nearly noone writes fucking journals now, yet every game has fucking penandpaperphiles everywhere. For a recent example, watch dogs goes full retard on this one, people leave their crime confessions (fucking hits and deals!) on phones while badmouthing their criminal employers. All that while knowing their info is not safe at all.

It's also an incredibly cheap way to extend the game by that hour or two. You don't have to spend time and mpney designing levels, animations or scenes, just pay some dude a hundred bucks to write 20 minutes of text for the player to sift through. Quality writing and more importatly, interesting stuff actually concerning the setting is apparently a super bonus now.
    Just what the fuck.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  15. D.D.D. Destroyer

Honestly though, while not all the recorders were in the logical places, quite a few of them fit pretty well.

16. Z100000M

Im not talking about BAS in particular here, I've not played it.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

I was talking Bioshock as a whole, but I'm sure there are many examples where shit just is out of place.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I was also just reffering to Bioshock and Doom 3, and also system shock. The audio logs really worked in those settings.

btw that kind of crappy game Orion Dino Horde is on sale for $0.99. Apparently the game has been made better since the last time we talked about it on these forums. Anyways for shits and giggles I purchased it.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

That's the second time it's been this cheap since then. Wealthy guilt-tripped me into buying it months ago and I have yet to install it.

20. ImSpartacus

I know Bioshock does voice recordings, not written journals.

In general, you find most of them after shit has gone down and there really aren't a lot of people doing normal people things.

Admittedly, Infinite strayed from that a little because a few introductory parts of the story did have "normal" life, but it didn't take long for shit to hit the fan.