Three part constructions...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Commander Z, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Commander Z

Commander Z Member

Ok, how about some advanced structures that Engineers can construct. Let it be bunkers, pill boxes, guard towers, runways, statues, plasma screen tvs or whatever. It goes like this. One Engineer, drops the foundation, builds it, then another drops the next piece ontop, and then the final engineer drops the last piece. This way, engineers may want to work together to build advanced structures and enhance teamwork.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

This has been suggested in part before (especially the guard towers!)

I like the team work, but couldn't you find one of the hundred guard tower threads and added this idea?

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like the team work idea a lot.

4. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I like a the idea of additional structures and the placing of structures on top of other engineer built things - having it nice and free-form could be interesting, so you could build a turrent on a basic flat tower on a pillbox on a tower on a something.

It could be tricky to get things right when the bottom of the pile gets damaged.

or was this idea aimed at upgrading a structure (ish) so that it becomes one large uber structure. What happens if the first engineer changes class or leaves the game? does it destroy everything?

5. petemyster

petemyster Member

forget guard towers, go with wall gates!! We already have guardtowers in slaughtered. And man i went off topic again. Yeah the engineers working together seems.....alright. But that level of co-operation will only exsist in clan wars.

6. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Tick tac toe had towers which start out as nothing; then the foundation is built, then the roof, then the second floor, then the thrid floor...

It was pretty cool

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I liked that too! :D

8. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Hmmmmm.....I've got an idea! How about instead of building walls with a limited number of sections, build blocks with a limited number of cubic feet? That would include being able to build regular walls, thick walls, turret mounts, dragon's teeth, etc. Heck, with a small footprint, you could make flag poles!

It would be easy to do, too. Just click where you want the first corner, point to where you want the base's opposite corner and click. Done. You now have a concrete platform six inches high. (By having the base height be six inches, it will be very easy to build ramps.) If you are building on a slope, the whole base drops straight down until no point is in the air. That would prevent the currently very frustrating inability to build a wall unless everything is absolutely perfect. Once created, blocks should be considered as terrain, so buildings/turrets/other blocks/etc. can be placed on them. Just like regular walls, until it is locked, something is built/placed on top of it, or the volume limit is reached, every time someone builds on a block, it rises up, with a standard build rate of 10(?) energy points per cubic foot, which means that building blocks with a large square footage by yourself will take a looooong time. (TEAMWORK FTW!)

To limit the advantage of being able to build a 50 foot high, 1 foot thick wall, the height is divided by the narrowest base dimension times ten and multiplied by the regular damage to determine the total damage done. For example, if a shell doing 40 damage hit that wall, it would do 200 total damage (50/(1*10) * 40), which is how it should be. That would be enough to take out a four foot wide section (at 1HP per cubic foot), if the engine will allow splitting models like that. Even if not, that wall will still be going down fast! OTOH, a platform 10 feet high and 10 feet thick, if hit with that same shell, would only take 4 damage, which is also how it should be.

If blocks are stacked on one another, the damage is calculated only for the block hit. If a block is destroyed, any object above it will fall. If a building/turret/etc., the damage is equal to the height fallen in feet times ten, and it is unusable until repaired. If a block, the damage is equal to the height fallen in feet times the number of cubic feet it contains divided by ten. If it falls onto another block, that amount of damage is also done to the block below.

To give people a chance to use them for placing things on, engineers should have an option in their build menu to place ladders on blocks.

COM will have pretty much no limit on block cubic footage, so they can feel free to build any kind of fort they want, as long as they understand that someone will have to raise those walls, which isn't cheap in terms of time or energy.

OTOH:
    • (1) 5x10x1 block + 4x10x1 block + 3x10x1 block + 2x10x1 block + 1x10x1 block = ramp gate!
    • (1) 5x5x20 block + (1) ML turret + (1) ladder = missile tower!
    • (1) 5x5x20 block + (1) MG turret + (1) ladder = MG tower!
    • (1) 20x20x20 block + (1) armory + (1) ladder = guard tower!

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The only problem with that is making the models used by those blocks, and mass-spammage causing big blocks to be used as base defenses at the end of the game.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, that sort of idea is hell from a gameplay and technical standpoint.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The way I envision a (pretty doable) version of it is this:

Example of DeadlyDad: "(1) 5x5x20 block + (1) MG turret + (1) ladder = MG tower!"

Someone drops the base block, someone else can then go towards this base block and try and place his MG turret. If he is close enough to it, the icon changes to a "enhance this building or whatever"-thingy. He then just has to click that button and the next stage of building (this is noted in the text box below the buttons) is prepared for engy construction.

This would simplify your extraordinarily complex system of individual damage blocks that crumble according to the damage done so that even newbies can build multi-level buildings. And finally, just so Krenzo doesn't have to spend three weeks on a wall feature :p (But if he really wants to and the engine supports it he could code it)

Oh and I'm afraid there probably won't be any falling (but still useable) debris / structures. All the debris that is currently ingame (except tank corpses) is clientside. Hell, even the ragdolls are clientside. Having to calculate it serverside and then send the data to every client will only create more lag over time (lol imagine two nukes destroying half of your defenses which are riddled with turrets)

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

how does the game decide if you're dropping a big square or a line? 2 clicks does not give that info. there would need to be at least 3 clicks.

there also needs to be a minimum thickness, unless you want instantly tall very thin walls designed only to block the view of the enemy, etc

I imagine it'd be difficult to make and code and model and balance BUT it does sound quite fun.

I especially like the idea that you can build on current stuff. It would be a total nightmare for mappers because people could just wallclimb their way out of the map. so perhaps not walls on more walls.

the idea i really like then is the idea that you can place turrets on walls. Those will be a total bitch to kill, which wouldn't be much fun to fight against (imagine a lev 3 mg on walls... that would be totally invincible until a tank or gren came along, scouts and rifleman and engineers would be screwed) but it might be quite fun to build.

13. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

1. Can't you just create generic, scalable blocks with tileable textures? (Understand: I haven't worked with this engine before, or even done much mapping in the last half-decade, for that matter. :))
    2. What, like the forts in Crossroads? That was kind of my point. I've been in quite a few rounds where we had to fort up because we had lost all but our last refinery, and all we had were walls. Those can make for some truly EPIC games! FORTRESSES FTW!!!

While I think that, with some tweaking, it could make for a lot of fun from a gameplay standpoint, I have to bow to the dev team's superior technical knowledge of the engine to know if it would be impossible to implement, or just difficult.

14. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

You have some good points. Probably the easiest thing to implement right away would be a simply platform the height of regular walls, with a ladder on the back, dropped, fully formed and ready for building, by the COM. Turrets/camera/radar/etc. could then be placed on top.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

No, you can't just alter the size of a model, or change vertex positions, currently, the only way to alter model sizes is to scale them, and that won't alter collisions or properly alter the textures. I'm not even sure if it can be done in the episode 1 engine.

16. Reef

Reef Member

You guys just need to switch to sourceforts mod. It's 120 MB. Download it and check it out, You can build all kinds of stuff there. HINT: sniper towers are waste of blocks, walls pwn, rocketjumps and grenades too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Empires =/= Sourceforts

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

reef is quite right though, when do you actually need to make a custom fort instead of normal walls. honestly.

If people can build stuff on their walls, what is stopping them wall/turret climbing out of the map or to places they

whats it for?

How will you help people not being able to tell how thick a wall is?

19. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

It's not about the need, no team ever needs nukes, all about the bonus extra special limited edition destructables.

I for one loved TicTacToe, those forts were amazing! What ever happened to that map?