Thoughts About research multiplier on remake

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DocRabbit, Jan 12, 2015.

1. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I have been pondering over something about a revamp of a map, not going to say which map, but it's been done alot. :) Anyways, trying to come up with a spin on an idea of a cap point to shake things up abit. Wondering if there would be a way, and if not, maybe we could coax candles into giving us a way, that a cap point could give a multiplier bonus to research time.

I think this would bring about a valid reason for a central cap point that would add value to keep it short of more res. Think it would open up infantry use on maps where vehicles are the norm and that single cap point is often not bothered with or only halfway used.

Also going to post this in suggestions and see what it gets there.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Posting this here too, with a couple of added thoughts.

Sounds good. The only thing is when you put something like that on the map you also consequently shorten the map. Most maps don't last past heavy tanks for very long, so this is something to consider. If it's the map I'm thinking of I am all for that though.

Something of an extension of this, is if there was some extra mapping entity where if you cap it you get exclusive access to a tech, til the other team caps it. I think that would also add some more value to capping points.

Other ideas include something like a capture the flag deal, but you get bonus research time when you cap the flag, shortening whatever you research by x amount of seconds.

Any case I think flags on comm maps are actually useful, it makes more intricate buildings more of a thing if tanks can't shoot everything out or whatever is at the center can't be seen by commander.

3. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

This is what got me thinking about this.

[​IMG]

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Go fuck yourself, Doc.

You can't post a picture like that and then post nothing else. You're worse than a tease.

I'm a broken man now. I have nothing to lose. DO YOU KNOW WHAT A MAN LIKE THAT WILL DO?

[​IMG]

5. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Well, it's still early on, hoping to get collaboration with steve on this one. Just realize that underneath that big area, I might just put some infantry area with the cap point I am talking about. Gotta have some stairs in it, so thinking access will be from edges, still working on stair layout.

Just wouldn't be me without stairs. :)

6. ImSpartacus

Better than ladders.

Like when you see a map with a ladder, you know the mapper is severely lacking in the ability to organize proper level design. And when the ladder serves a remotely important purpose (I'm looking at you, Crossroads & NewMoney), you know the mapper is simply hopeless and will never be able to achieve any semblance of playable level design.

Ladders are bad, mkay? Ramps/stairs are literally the only option. There is no alternative.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Nah, ladders are fine. Just need a lot of them.

I will say with that setup it looks hard to defend bases. I like this.

8. ImSpartacus

[​IMG]

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Don't ruin our chokepoint map, make the middle bridges so small that only infantry can pass.

10. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I think it's possible to something like this with a console command and a point_servercommand, but now that I think about it, I don't think it effects teams individually.

Just ask Candles to add it if it doesn't exist.

Edit: why does this exist twice?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  11. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Actually not trying to ruin it, trying to give it better play. Right now, if you are really adiment with walls, no body getting in your base no way no how. The only reason this map works is people/coms get tired of placing walls/building them. The center bridge would give the aggressor the high ground over the defender, something that isn't true on the other 2. Anyways, its still early and could just easily place tank barricades at end to prevent vehicles using that path. But want them able to get to point overlook, so it is a threat area.

The whole point of enlarging the center is for more center tank massive combat.
    Also to give more real estate for what's going to go on under center, a large network of infantry only area. This map still reliant on the research timer clock thing, so its kinda a wip theory more than anything.

Ladders will come available I am sure somewhere in the center, just still too early to tell where.

On a side note: I remember the days when there was an unwritten gentlemen's agreement that it was bad form to nuke the enemy base except from center. I think this may have been a server rule also. Of course, this could just be old age setting in and wishful thinking.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. ImSpartacus

I will cry if this map gets ladders. Ramps are where it's at.

13. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I won't make them the only access to any area, more like a 2nd route with no time advantage for using them over the runway ones.