The stomping lands

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, May 30, 2014.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Dwarf fortress is the only sandbox game i can really enjoy nowadays.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That's because dwarf fortress has a ton of actual content and a rather simple yet engrossing core gameplay component. Make a successful dwarf fortress.

Other games kinda have that, but it tends to be real easy to achieve. They end up being less about some core idea (survival usually) and more about what else you can do.

I don't know if it is true for everyone but I end up not liking those games because there is quite simply a lack of goals. Dwarf fortress has a ton of little things you have to do to get that fortress going, an endless list of goals basically. Something in like dayz or rust you don't really have to try hard to meet your goals and once your done and got everything you need, that's it. Core goal is reached and you really don't have much else to do other than maintain the status quo, which sounds rather boring in my opinion. Dayz and to an extent rust have it worse because there isn't much free building you can do like in terraria or minecraft.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I loved DayZ, but it isn't really a game that requires creativity. It's easy to set objectives for yourself that are actually worthwhile. That's why I nearly always end up quitting for a while every time I get maxxed on gear and stuff.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Basically sandbox games right there. I don't have much creativity in the 3D construction department, but I still do simple houses and castles in Minecraft.