The radar building

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by tysonm1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. tysonm1

tysonm1 Member

Don't you think its kind of annoying that when you build a radar all you get in return is technology? This idea suddenly popped into my head when I was playing, If you build a radar should it be like the deployable radar except it senses BOTH infantry and vehicles at a bigger radius just enough to cover the whole base? This could help people from being annoyed when an enemy sniper pops in for a little visit behind your back and disables turrets, buildings, killing off engineers etc.

2. Reef

Reef Member

This would make ninja'ing impossible.
    So... no.

3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Without radar, nothing on minimap. that would be cool.

4. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

i see your point. but this would seriosly unbalance the game and spoil it.
    i think that the radar could give the comm some special abilitys like sonar pulse where in a small space the comm could set it off and for a short period of time all in that area is revield but to counter it there could be a gap genirator like in C&C red alert.

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

"The radar structure provides the ability to see nearby enemy vehicles on the minimap."

Taken from the empires wiki.
    Also if you sabotage the enemies radar, you can see in there base.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah... The radar does detect vehicles.

I've always thought it was sort of a shame, though, that at the moment there's no reason for anyone to walk inside the radar. It would be nice if it provided some sort of benefit or effect inside, but I'm not quite sure what it could do... A while back I suggested making your current tech tree visible to friendly soldiers who walk in and use a panel. That could work.

Another option would be to have some sort of 'mini-research' conducted by soldiers in parallel to the main comm's research. People have suggested many very small infantry upgrades that wouldn't really be worth the comm spending time on them... if players could research them instead (once the comm has researched the prequisites) that could work. Although this sounds a bit unnecessarily complicated...

Perhaps a soldier who walks into the radar and uses a panel could use the 'comm view', seeing things as the comm does? I'm not quite sure what use that would be, but it could be fun. Perhaps the comm could even allow/disallow the ability for soldiers to give orders via the radar... this could be used to give attack-order support in large games while the comm is busy with something else.

7. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Sounds a bit complicated if u ask me, but its a start of an idea.
    To me ive seen no point in the building being walkable into cus its empty.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Eh, just make a it an un unrestricable area where team members can view it like they can the vehicles list, and via a similar screen like those hanging magically in the VF's.

The window for the tech tree is very similar to the one for the vehicle creation, so making it viewable, but perm restricted shouldn't be too difficult.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I've always wanted a panel in there with a progress bar showing time until current research is complete... if enemies happen to get inside and see it, then oops :p

10. Reef

Reef Member

Who will run back half the map to walk into radar, just to check what research is in progress, stand up.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

As a scout I would do that before I would sabotage the rax, vf, radar and refs...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This kinda thing has been discussed before, the devs are still trying to get around to the point where they can implement it, aren't they?

13. -=GODS=-EZEKIEL

-=GODS=-EZEKIEL Member

14. Reef

Reef Member

I meant the friendly radar. Who would run back the whole map to the friendly radar just to check what is currently researched, instead of just asking the comm?
    That's useless.

Seeing what is being researched by the enemy when entering their radar with a scout (or with any unit, when the radar is sabotaged) (or without entering it - just when at least one radar is sabotaged, the message "Something" has been researched displays to the enemy as "The enemy have researched Something". It is more practical, but decreses the fun from getting into enemy radar and being the one that passes the valuable news to the rest of the team.

15. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Lieutenants anyone?