The plan for where we're going - Tester access and Steam tests (Today and onwards)

Discussion in 'News' started by Trickster, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So. Steam. We're getting closer. And it's now time to test the next version.

Once we hit steam, all testing will revert back to closed testing. As such, most of you will lose access. If you want to retain your tester access, you'll have to test now, that's the condition. To do that, PM either myself, or MOOtant (OVER THE EMPIRESMOD FORUMS, NOT STEAM), your steam account name. That is, go to steam, settings, and then it'll be at the top. Mine for example, is Trickster9012. On top of this, give me a steam community link to your page so I can invite you to the steam testing group. Do not expect a reply to your PM unless there is a problem (although if you have an issue, PM me and I'll help you). That is to say, assume your application is automatically accepted, as most are if they can be added easily.

After that, just head to this thread: http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=13607 to download the steam test client of Empires. You can do that before getting access, you just won't be able to play it until after you are given access. So do that to save time.

We will be hosting multiple tests each night, using the Empires testing steam group. As such, if you don't have access to that, drop me a PM, but most do. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM.

TL;DR Sign up for steam content testing or you will not be a tester after steam release, and we won't be adding more after.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

will it be serious testing or fucking around?
    how long will it take? planned and realistic? a few weeks or a few month?
    is it needed to attend each test (weekends are bad for me)?
    will the tests be attended and adminstrated by all devs?

im basically willing to help out getting this onto steam - but without neglecting my social life and i dont want to waste time by fucking around on servers. id be willing to play several serious unstacked games in a row if you need numbers, but im not going to waste my time with playing the victim of sv_cheats bullshit noclip godmode madness or whatever fuck around comes to peoples minds - you can do that with only 2-3 people on the server too.
    also like i said, i probably wont have time on the weekends, i might but its completely dependend on reallife things which i wont be neglecting it for a second.

so, would you want me?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yeah that's a good question. From my experience testing with the Empires community needs one mature person who always admins the server and schedules the tests. Like Scardy did some versions ago.

4. Trickster

They'll be proper tests. Fucker-arounds will be kicked. And it's not expected of you to attend everyone, but it's far more likely that you can attempt one if you actually have access.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Now, when you say tonight, you mean tonight in greenwich?

Also, do you need testing as in a game where you or one of the devs can observe / participate?

Sry, just with the global scale of this, it's hard to tell.

6. Trickster

Multiple times, across multiple timezones. "We have enough testers online, lets test". Etc.

7. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

I am in. I will process all the details with the groups and access.

I would like to have clear objectives for each testing session. And i am in the same boat with mcgyver and flashe where we dont want to be fucking around during the testing.

Also, the test session should have the most stable release and balancing with default variables unless CLEARLY specified otherwise. This prevent the testers to get confussed because heavy tanks are accelerating to 360 KPH and think is a bug when its just a server variable that some smart-ass forgot to reset to original value.

Sctructured and clear objectives testing please.

8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Also, when you participate, please post any bugs that u find in this thread, after checking if the bug isn't reported yet, instead of shouting your bugs over Voicechat.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Punctuation.

10. flasche

there is some ... might be a bit random though :rolleyes:

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Well it's worth a try again I guess

12. Vashkin

Vashkin Member

Think we'll be testing again tonight?

13. Trickster

Tomorrow.

14. TrItOn

TrItOn Member

Uh, did you say "Serious", "Closed", "Testing". Like the old days? When the "Testers" were actually, involved in serious game play, like would be in game on a "real" server in-game public on a game in public; to test for bugs to report and like "fix"? The end result of which would be a new release with bug fixes and updates? No hax....and i read Tricksters post on fucker-arounders...so that one is answered. Then I want in too.

15. ViralHatred

ViralHatred Member

Hello.

I used to play empires back when it first came out. I acted and played seriously in a supporting role preparing base defences while assisting the commander. I also worked at the front lines setting up turret killzones and repairing vehicles.

I myself am a mapper, though brushwork is not my forté I am excellent at entity work. I do have a niche for finding bugs.

Texture bugs, clipping bugs, hud bugs, material bugs, model bugs, etc.

I am excellent at finding map bugs particulary (I can also do a full list of bugs, or list the more important first.) I have a habit of annoying my friends by finding bugs. I find bugs mostly through multiplayer or by spending too much time alone on a server and exploring.

I would love to test Empires if you're heading for steam! :D

All hail the Brenodi Empire!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Welcome to the new Empires, I hate basebitches.
    Anyways, enjoy your stay :)

17. flasche

i dont like people that insist on that they played from day one - what does it tell about you? nothing. what concerns me is what you wrote as your roll as engineer which - how to say without calling it noobish - certainly isnt the way to put this class to the best use.

i dont think that you should be rejected from testing though ...

my2cents, i got nothing to say actually :D
    other then maybe, welcome to empiresmod forums :P

18. Trickster

They just want to get their access by putting themselves across with any background they have with the mod. For all I care, they could come and say they've never even played before and I'd still give them access, but if they want to do that like they have to with most other betas, that's up to them. Doesn't bother me.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I'm never repairing your tank or dropping you ammo ever again.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

didnt i heal you in main last test?

never again...