The Latest in Empires News!

Discussion in 'General' started by knighttemplar, Jun 6, 2008.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

The Latest in Empires News!

As many of those who follow closely may know, Empires is running a bit differently these days. This post is an attempt to quell some of those WTF2.2?!1?1 posts, like this and this and this and this and this. Krenzo has gone to focus on other aspects of his life like college and earning his way there. He's still hanging around here occasionally though, it's just not an everyday thing for him anymore. In his place a lot of the older dev team and some community members have filled some of the void.

FalconX is providing overall guidance to us all, for all aspects of development. Please hold off on the OMG Emergency Patch plx requests for a bit though. Dizzyone is scripting away, he's also in charge of porting Empires over to the My Little Pony engine. His first priority will be the underpowered Scout Rifle and Assaut Rifles, as well as making Artillary and Nukes more deadly. Doggeti and Don Megel are working on Artwork and Angry is working on Sound. Coding support is coming from Mootant, Razorbud, Reef, Chahk and Kylegar. As for mapping you'll want to talk to Arklansman, who is in charge of that department. I myself am working on community and public relations, so posts like this are partly my responsibility.

Empires 2.2 is well on its way. Testers are currently working with RC#2 and much work has gone into testing it thoroughly. Work is underway to fix the few remaining bugs so we can test RC3 and get this thing public. Silk has been very helpful in working on emp_arid, a great new map which we are currently testing. This map has some of the best ladders I've ever seen, and how often are you really excited about ladders?

Here's a sneak peak at a new feature in Empires 2.2. I hope you're able to figure out what it is.
    [​IMG]

On tap for 2.2 are a few changes like this, some scripting changes, and most importantly of all, the goodies that the orangebox engine supplies. Stay tuned for more!

May contain traces of sarcasm

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Thanks for the official update! This is what everyone has been asking for.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

4. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Exclusive new playermodel leak
    [​IMG]

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Pure and undistilled genius

6. km_

km_ Member

...yay...taking the function of the scout, and removing it....way to go.....its a fucking sniper class, its always has been...no need to fuck it up

7. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Ladders. Fuckin' A!

I have been informed very clearly by members of the community that it is absolutely NOT a sniper rifle. It is in fact, a 'scoped bolt action rifle' and that the scout was never supposed to be a sniper. As I was scolded for calling the scout a sniper, I feel I must in turn scold others who refer to the class as such.

But seriously, though debate rages about what exactly has to be changed about the scout class, everyone agrees something must be changed.

Yarrr! More guns!
    [​IMG]

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Uhm... let me think...
    the purpose of the scout class is to get information behind the line not to
    kill people 1000 kilometers away. It might be funny and interesting to snipe
    with the scout but in the end 99% of the time you are a scout and snipe
    people there is something more usefull to do for you.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Strange, I don't remember writing that...

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I believe he just named them as examples, my real priority is the new vehicle weaponry system I've been working on since release of 2.0 and after that will be the tanks themselves.

I don't recall them being underpowered, or having to fix artillery or nukes as they've both been reworked.

I would also like to mention that MOOtant and I (but mostly MOOtant) started this by approaching it with the current issues in mind, we agreed on that we had to work from a solid design to form an overall consistent game experience. From there on I approached some people to help the core of the design, Don Megel and FalconX will be helping with the new design while both MOOtant and I will continue approaching it with issues upfront, gathered fromhow people play the game and issues that were brought forward by the testers.

If you've given up hope on Empiresmod, as in you looked at the list of people working on it and figured you either don't know half of them, or dislike half of them, making the quick conclusion that it's gonna go down hill from here. I have one thing to say about that, it's heavily based on player input, we'll be making the decisions but theres not one thing that hasn't been mentioned in some way by a tester or member of the community, everyone discussing and suggesting things on this forum help a considerable amount in making up the next versions of the game. I definitly read all threads in gameplay and suggestions, gather all information on the game from it, so really keep up the good work and the best way to help is to keep posting about the game and what you feel is an issue.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Is the new research tree either you or solo (I still can't tell you apart for some reason) talked about a while ago still in?

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

This is the new research tree:

[​IMG]

Individual weapons are replaced for weapon packs based on tiers, I promised to post a detailed thread about it, I'll do that when it's up for testing.

Keep in mind that this tree doesn't say anything
    It's a completely new aproach at vehicle customization that you will find out about soon enough.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Nice to see something new, i'd be happy to test it once we're there.

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

They were just jokes, I thought they would be too unbelievable to be believed, but I guess I was wrong.

15. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I think someone was jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

^^ but a serious problem atm is that you can rush bio/nuke heavys and spam
    them in millions which insta wins you the game. Yes the other team could
    research something against it but 10 or more nukeheavys are totaly overpowered
    and yes you can win with that tactic by having 50% resnode controll or less...

17. petemyster

petemyster Member

awww..no more developement on the MG jeeps? Too bad, im just glad to get an offical news post :D

18. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

...And add it to steam mods. It should be there!

20. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I have said that over a million times but no-one listens and for the last time IT DOES NOT COST MONEY