The Gold Standard Commander Fix

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ImSpartacus, May 10, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'm still not getting the puppet/fall guy thing. Who'd want to be cv man if they have to listen to every whim of some dude? It'd be a case of of directly gaining commander status too or not doing it at all, or again commander gets fsspace'd out of it so that the person actually doing cv work has full power.

Odd part of it too is that it isn't like the commander will have any intel without cv anyway, so why sign up for it if they have no intention of being in the seat itself?

2. 101010

101010 Member

I like this idea. It reminds me of how Trickster commands. He likes commanding but normally wants someone else in the CV. He makes the decisions as a field commander and who ever is in the CV just does what Trickster says.

3. Lazybum

Oh right that, don't see that happening much anymore. Probably for good reasons.

4. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Clearly I do not have whatever level of comprehension the rest of the community has about this.

Everybody is all excited/enraged about how this enables the 'commander' to not be in the command vehicle and boss around whatever unlucky sap gets stuck with the CV - which as far as I can tell is obviously retarded.

I thought the intention was to make the situations where the commander is killed outside the cv/otherwise occupied and somebody else takes the opportunity to get in less frustrating and prone to griefing.

Then again, I actually enjoy commanding so I clearly cannot relate to the rest of the community :rolleyes:

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

And you DARE call yourself one of us.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yeah comming is decent fun for me too, but I prefer shooters over strategerms so I'm naturally drawn to the FPS bit.

7. Metruption

Metruption Member

Give the commander a laptop that can be used to enter commandview, figure out a better win condition (or just let the comm remotely control the CV from their laptop).

8. Lazybum

That's an amusing thought to be honest. Slightly more dangerous to the cv if anything which I think some people might like honestly.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol! That would actually be pretty cool! :p

Then you could get the the laptop stolen and have to retrieve it quickly, giving new meaning to an APC rush xD

10. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

If that's the intention, then I agree with that. However, all that would be required is for the CV to be automatically locked when you leave it; and the last player to leave the CV can unlock it. He can also still be votekicked, in which case the CV unlocks.

otherwise,
    Which sucks hairy donkey balls.

11. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

This requires 1 really knowledgeable players and 1 knowledgeable player. so 2 players in total.

Thats 1 more than we need right now. And most of the time we cant find those.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Your idea is good if empires was populated and every game was 20v20 with tons of vets. But it isnt thus your idea is useless.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i mean i dont like the suggestion - though i understand the wish for a comm on non-classic maps - but theres nothing keeping you from doing everything yourself ...

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That would generally be the most common scenario on com maps.

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I swear to god, there has to be a term for this. As far as I'm concerned, this idea is great except one little line confused everybody:
    Which goes to show how well this would perform in game - while it is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, since there is a fundamental misunderstanding it appears to be a terrible idea.

THE COMMANDER AND THE PERSON IN THE CV ARE THE SAME. IF THE COMMANDER LEAVES THE CV AND ANOTHER PERSON TAKES OVER THE CV FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD, THE COMMANDER MUST BE KICKED/OTHERWISE DETHRONED.

The advantage is exactly as Spartacus described in his original post - two simple bullet points.

The disadvantage is apparently the concept of the commander remaining the commander outside of his vehicle remains beyond this community. Obviously, if he's the commander outside of the command vehicle then some other person must be in the command vehicle doing all the work while the commander lollygags/pussyfoots/dawdles/meanders/otherwise wastes everybody's goddamn time.

/thread

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I agree with senior's all caps, not so much the original suggestion.

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

interesting idea but I don't like putting all of the power on a particular player. it might be useful to decentralize the CV by allowing command-style controls from an additional outlet, like you can use CV view from the radar with multiple commanders on a team if that's necessary to diorect people at a micro level

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Dump the CV all together. Commander troop gets backpack with antenna and a laptop.
    Commander who gets in a tank the tank gets an extra antenna attached to it to make it somewhat noticeable. Death of commander is no longer the end of the round UNLESS there are no more spawn points.

Can we agree to something at least?

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Err...well that idea might be good except as is discussed in other threads, the CV being a win condition is actually fairly good - even if it does come with a whole host of detractors.

You'd have to map out the change to the win condition if you wanted the CV-less version to work. And no spawns is not something that happens often at all.