that game of mvalley earlier today

Discussion in 'General' started by FN198, Aug 19, 2013.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

The game of mvalley I played today was probably one of the most fun games I've played this year. It was essentially a standard PUG with Trickster and EPIC on NF, and myself with The Consortium on BE. JustGoFly led alpha squad, and BigTeef led charlie. Snuffleupagus rolled with bravo and each squad maintained cohesion throughout the entire game. We played hard, and communicated concisely and effectively. Many orders were given on a squad level, and my own orders were echoed down the line. Responses followed suit.

yea was fun

2. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I liked the game of canyon with the literally full server better. Though of course, that was the most outstanding night of empires in a long time so that's not saying much.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Mvalley game was pretty good. getting that proxy rax pretty early in the game and just harrassing the NF main was some pretty higher-level gameplay.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I'd call this night a pre-PUG for 24th.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

What made me wow is that a cripple manged to hold the dam single handed for a majority of the game.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Man, I only played for like five minutes and has to leave. /sadface

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Mvalley, Cyclopean and Canyon were all great maps. I think our team maybe didn't get quite the same level of cooperation from all the players as BE did on Mvalley, but we still had some good fun. I think that a lot of the newer players hadn't really done squad based movement before, meaning it caused a few issues, not to mention revive engineers almost refusing to allow people to killspawn with constant revs. But I think if this happened a bit more often, those issues would probably disappear. Overall, some really great games, I was really glad to play in them.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah was definitely worth playing last night. Shout out to whoever had the good idea of mentioning the games in the steamgroup aswell, saw a few players I havnt seen in a long time

9. BigTeef

My favorite part was everyone telling me to shut the fuck up when I had an APC next to GoFly.

Then afterwards began my awards ceremony, and I personally thanked myself 6 times.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

That was mostly fetus, who was angry that you didn't give him squad lead to squad revive in their main earlier in the match. I never even heard him ask for it though, so idk.

11. BigTeef

Fetus was there but he didn't get their commander stuck like I did.
    He was pushing in the rear then I pulled up in-front of GoFly.

Somebody spawned with stickies on me and we got him.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The headphones of the BE soldiers were filled with the screams of "guys where the FUCK is the rest of charlie squad?"

13. BigTeef

I wanted to sneak in and sab shit but the problem was there was a constant influx of people coming to dam and I didn't want to give them the best resource income on the map.

So I sat there complaining about my squad which just refused to listen to their squad lead and I was just stuck there defending.
    People who were not even in my squad coming to help me, Fetus being the only engineer that came to assist me.
    I vamoosed when I noticed NF main lacked a series of buildings and FN was telling me I was a bad person for not attacking their main.

Just going to remove people from my squad now if they just don't care about squad points or coordination.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  14. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

FN - that match was excellent - well thought out, very well commanded and extremely aggressive. At the begging of the match some said "Why send ALPHA to Dam?" since they assumed Alpha had the better squad. You pressed without explanation - which slows game play. We took damn - setup a early ninja racks and with very strong opposition retained our foot hold - taking down the VF once and finally with your focusing us - over powered the COM with mediums.

What I didn't like was the subsequent game that I COM'd and you focused most of the team to play. Two COM's split the focus and when main was being UGL'd to death (I hate you Teef :|ove: :D ) - the only ones who responded couldn't kill the friggin APC. They had pockets of engies jumping out and building walls to fence themselves in to throw grenades. I can kill safely when I know someone is shooting a rocket or throwing a grenade but being overrun usually leaves a rifleman at my back to drop the COM and set us back.

I admit the loss was mine - but I did not enjoy playing with you controlling the team and them not listening to my pleas to com back and save main without your OK. At the same time we had Fast HE mediums 15 seconds from completion and could have won that match. We also had Fast UGL APC's which no one would push since your attack was ground based. I didn't object to save money for mediums - but I could have planned faster mediums had I known we intended to stay on the ground. Also no focus on Refs since you pushed guys fast into their base until Freaknovich joined and started building them - would have been trouble. Given we have 20 players in the game we can't have ONE focus. We need one attack squad and multiple pushes, including a focus on refineries. I think that is best organized by the one COM with squad leaders controlling their squads.

Lesson learned.

15. FN198

FN198 Member

You bad, bad person.
    You commanded our team for that one, right? I really liked my squad during that game. Our armor coordination did well at keeping nf at bay in A3 midgame to endgame. The commander did really well.

@JGF,
    First off I want to say that you greatly exaggerate my influence on the team. During cyclopean, the largest orders I ever gave were squad based. Admittedly, I did issue orders to squads other than my own but as a clan leader, established commander and 5 year member of the mod’s community I do believe I have the authority to do at least that. At no time during the game did I ever address any commands to the entire team. You say yourself that commanders need to have a strategy. During that game, your strategy was not as much of a strategy as it was a set of guidelines. Get tanks, attack the enemy main, build refineries.

A strategy is a path of specific objectives designed to achieve a goal. During cyclopean, I don’t recall you ever briefing us on any strategy. All I heard was that we needed more refineries, or we need people to be in certain places to repair or defend. This is fine, but what was needed was someone employing all of our available elements towards the goal of moving enough firepower into a position that would allow us to isolate, ensnare and destroy the enemy command vehicle. Only at the end of the game did I decide that It might be in the best interest of the team for me to step up and take command. At that time, it was already too late. We had lost our main spawn.

We consistently had the ref advantage, we consistently had superior map control, and we always had the upper hand. What we didn’t have, however, was proper communication; which is the responsibility of the commander. During mvalley, I made sure that everything that I saw that was not immediately obvious to the team or non-critical was communicated to the team. Whenever there were enemy elements that threatened our vulnerable positions, I would notify the team immediately, and issue an order to whichever squad whose responsibility the enemy element’s location fell under. I would either request an acknowledgement of the order, or check whether the unit that I had given the order to had changed course to deal with the threat.
    Ultimately, we’re both just players on a team. The most we can do, and for the commander, the least they can do, is communicate and confirm that everything is under control, or in progress.

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Actually, I believe that was Jephir. The only game that I commanded that night was moors, and that was before the server was full. And man did I screw up a lot in that game. Didn't command again since I knew it wasn't my night.

I was really happy with my squad that round tho cause they actually did what I wanted them to the entire game.

17. FN198

FN198 Member

If I recall correctly it was Jephir that commanded the NF team of that map. All of us on BE had a different commander.

18. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

There was absolutely no way yous were saving main that round. Our team (as unbelievable as it sounds) was actually coordinated enough to roll a new apc into your main every 10-15 seconds. Good base design wouldve helped a bit but unless you were able to bleed us of tickets during that push it was going to happen.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Err no, don't blame yourself.
    That moor round, it was 10v13 for like 15~20 mins, with more than half new players on our team. I could only carry so little.

You were doing great.

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Wealthysoup and I had that game on Moors won, but asshole engineers prevented half our team from killspawning.