that dammed scout rifle

Discussion in 'General' started by PJB, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Siren

Siren Member

No.

"but seriously, every good warfare game ever made has had some kind of long range sniper rifle"

Every good warfare game? Says who, you?

I absolutely hate the idea of snipers on large maps. As long as we don't have officers or skills that dying removes, making a sniper class would be annoying as hell as it takes no skill or teamwork to point and click a target that can't even fight back from long range properly.

"What about defending an area against overwhelming number of enemies? Or shooting that pesky machine gunner on the hill we can't take over?!"

If the situation is really THAT BAD, you can only blame your commander or team for letting it get to that. The mistakes of people are not an excuse for a lame class.

Sniper class would serve no real purpose in the game except making your typical AWP kid happy. Since we can't put in every aspect of warfare, I say we should keep it so that the game is concentrated on teamwork instead of heroics of one player.

2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

*points to America's Army*

Snipers defeat teamwork?

O RLY?

The 42nd Special Operations Battalion disagrees with you.

3. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

What the scout should have, hahaha

Check out this sniper rifle :cool: here :cool: unfortunatly the sniper rifle is at the 2 minute mark so fast forward to get to it. If you want the sniper's name its Caine the Longshot ironic isn't it.

4. Lock N' Load

Lock N' Load Member

I loved that rifle, but seriously, for the length of that barrel to help any bit, the bullet would need to be the length of an American Basketball Player's Leg.
    And I really don't see why the Sniper would Cloak if he was useing that weapon, it sticks out more than he would if he was on fire and dancing the macarana.

Honestly, I hate the Scout Rifle. Not because I get pwned by them all the time or anything when it is used Against me, I hate it because I shoot staionary targets at close range 12 times, see a blood cloud pop out of them, and not die.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  5. =GK= Minako

=GK= Minako Member

Heyyyyyyy :/.

I do, however, believe a sniper class would be worth making. Since snipers do exist in real warfare, but in a very low number.

So to be fair you could leave scout as it is,
    or create a sniper class, remove scout rifle, but cap it, like 1 snipe for every 10 players on a team. One snipe can't kill an entire enemy team on a full map, unless they turtled really bad or they wew pushed back to main base.

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

To be honest, Al, I prefer the rifle seen in the first part of this. I think it might be a bit too overpowered for Empires, though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: sniper rifles do not make for good gameplay with player counts this low and with maps this large.

7. Empires Noob

Empires Noob Member

Give the scout the old 1.00 rifle back!

8. Miss Mary

Miss Mary Member

do something with it
    anything
    just sort the bloody thing out

9. PJB

PJB Member

minako is right, and i dont want a bloody awp, or an auto sniper. i mean the kind of rifle that you need to hit someone three times to kill them, and he's idea of having a limited number of them is equally good.

if you did it like that one sniper VS ten guys, he'll kill prehaps two, prehaps three guys at most.

and name a good millitary warfare based game with large relitively open areas that doesn't have a sniper rifle of some kind?

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Empires, at least the one in my head. And before you ask: It's the best of them all.

11. dnc

dnc Member

true...: )

12. Al Fire 101

Al Fire 101 Member

I don't like Goast in a Shell so I don't like that sniper rifle, but the scope is alright.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I say, give the scout rifle a more snipery feel (more power, less dropoff) give it a scope overlay, and remove the crosshair when unzoomed.

Then move it over to the rifleman (as he IS anti infantry) and give the scout something more scouty, like a better SMG or a unique pistol. Or maybe some more utlilitarian gear like explosives.

14. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I feel I must reiterate myself here.

No to snipers. The thing is too powerful as it is.

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I'm all for no rifle and no sniper, but it would indeed be nice to have a Garrand-esque single shot rifle... with only Ironsights of course... with no crosshair, and probably less powerful then the RR...

16. ^Dee^

like the NF heavy rifle?

17. katana9000

katana9000 Member

I second having NO sniper rifle or class whatsoever. The scout should be a behind the lines stealth\sabotage like class. The simple fact of the matter is a scout should NEVER be able to kill a riffleman unless he gets the drop on him or is already badly injured. A perfect example is the engineer vs. the rifleman. 9 out of 10 times the rifleman wins.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if the scout rifle was:

-made to look like a scout rifle
    -had a damage cap at 40 - 50 damage, so even at close range it isn't one shot kill
    -had huge swing when fired from standing
    -has lot of swing when fired from crouch, and takes 2 - 3 seconds to go from standing swing to crouch swing once someone gets in crouch position
    -has much less swing when prone, possibly can be deployed.
    -slower rate of fire
    -bring bullets down to 4 in a clip?
    -make a trail showing where the bullet came from. this could either be in the "slow, highly visible" bullet design used for snipers in HL2 singleplayer, or the "vapour trail" design of the halo 2. I would prefer the "slow" design of HL2, so you must lead your targets.
    -don't increase the usable range from what it is
    -but do increase the damage at the longer ranges a bit.

Now you have a true sniper rifle. would this fit? discuss.

19. ^Dee^

cap it at 50-60 at close to medium range
    perhaps 35-40 at greater distances
    Keep rate of fire to compensate for weaker damage

and have the zoom function a skill unlock :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  20. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

The bullet still travels the same speed, which is instant. The tracer goes slow, though. The tracer you see emitted from the gun isn't the actual bullet, it is HL2's way of showing a bullet was fired.