that dammed scout rifle

Discussion in 'General' started by PJB, Jul 19, 2006.

1. PJB

PJB Member

some love it, some hate it, some are so so...
    i personaly love it, but i've noticed at very long range i never seem to hit anything, even if it's standing still.. so what i want to know is, how accuate is the rifle at very long range, and how exactly does the range scale the damage?

2. olla

olla Member

It's been stated many times in this forum that the class and its rifle are called SCOUT not SNIPER. Me and probably most of the other players agree that it should stay like it is. Other changes should happen with that class.
    See here

Edit: next time I should read the whole answer before replying... it's too hot!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Actually you do hit from longer ranges too, but the damage is so low that it doesn't matter. :) Personally I hate that thing. I've seen squads being wiped out by an invisible scout with his little dong.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I agree that it's ok, providing they cap the damage for it at 50. currently, the closer you get the more damage it does, meaning that if you get really close to the enemy it becomes a five shot rail gun. This is coming from someone who likes to be a scout; it seems unfair just to be able to blow people away like that.

If they (and they should) introduced hit positions, then I wouldn't mind headshot kills, but the gun is so innaccurate anyway it doesn't seem to matter.

5. PJB

PJB Member

personaly i think the damage should be 75 or so close range, 50 mid rage, and no less than 25 at long range.. there is no point in having a scout rifle that can hit someone at 200 meters, if it doesn't damage them.
    apart from that the only thing i can think about is making the artillary call thing show up on the mini-map. because gren-feedback + artillary is a deadly combo if i can see what i'm ment to shoot, but useless when i hear 'i need artillarty this position' and dont have any idea where, or what exactly is my target.

i mean ranged arty is the coolest thing i've ever driven, but at the moment my commander has to give me the feedback on what i'm shooting.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Bind a key for emp_arty_map(or something similiar. This will show you the map where the scouts are giving targets. You can see the same icons on minimap that a gren with arty feedback if you manage to fire close at the target so you can use arty tanks properly with any class(also works with grenadiers that use mortar and rpg without the skill). :) Perhaps this button should be added to the key configuration menu also...

7. PJB

PJB Member

i'll have a look at that.

8. dnc

dnc Member

this is the main reason i like the scout, yuo have a rifle that can easily kill at close-mid range (even though i will use the pistol at close quarter) and you can give arty feedback...

i remember on one game that i had i was just giving the position of the enemy comm vehical to our team so we could win, i just kept on updating the position... i couldnt hit anyone in the enemy base though so i was pretty safe...

9. PJB

PJB Member

I remeber in one match i was in my clan team went totaly republic commando style.
    basicaly i was right up front as a scout relaying turret postions and stuff to mary who was in an arty blowing the hell out of them, meanwhile i had NS-83 and chaosrider (engie and rifle) building turrets and defeinding a secotor, and farleshadow ruxing the enermy dieing, then coming back on the apc, keeping them held back while we whipped their defences.

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Great point, but i would change your conclusion. Don't change the damage, change the role, change the gun and improve the game that way.

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Personally, I don't think the Scout Rifle has to do any damage at all, as mentioned before, he's a SCOUT, not a SNIPER, he isn't and most likely NEVER was supposed to kill, that's like making the Engineer Repair Kit a long range one-hit kill death ray and calling it fair balance. I say the Scout Rifle should be removed, or be made to suck horribly like in the early versions (mainly 1.00b) simply because it is a self-defense rifle.

Why don't they put a lock on it so you only can fire it when you take damage from someone else, and you can only shoot that person, that'd be a fair deal for the Scout, provided he receives some skills to get by in other means then combat.

Post long enough for you?

12. PJB

PJB Member

I think that empires without some kind of long range accate rifle would suck..
    personaly i'd give the scout the smg's, the engine a shotgun of some kind, and then take out the MG 2 and give him a SNIPER rifle as an optional weapon.

i know the scout is just that a scout, but lets face it a scout normaly does have a sniper of some kind, because it's his job to spot stuff at long range, and kill it at long range. so prehaps it should be considered turning the scout into a sniper..

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

*Places large disgusting trout on the table*

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Spankey time!

15. dnc

dnc Member

i think the scout is incredibly good as he is, he cant take someone out on the other side of most maps but can get most mid-long range targets...

oh and pjb did the comm suicide into water, in that game you were talking about?

16. PJB

PJB Member

no it was on crossroads. and hi dnc ^_^.

but seriously, every good warfare game ever made has had some kind of long range sniper rifle, i personaly like the idea of giving the rifleman a bolt action that does about 25 -50 damage or so.. but if scouts going to have a scope, give him at minimum damage cap.

17. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

no to snipers :(

They don't add anything to a game.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

no to minimum damage cap:

at longer ranges, it doesn't matter if it takes ten shots because they can't shoot back. this decreased damage means that snipers must find the optimum distance between damage and the enemy's ability to return fire. it works.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Add random motion from breathing/etc. to make it less accurate, perhaps?

20. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

and cap it off with a significant decrease of it's one shot kill range.