Tanks

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Simon, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Simon

Simon Banned

I think we have gotten weapons pretty well balanced but I think tanks need some balancing. Here are some notable things that I think should be looked at before releasing 2.0

NF/BE Heavy, BE has a huge advantage with 2x cannon slots.

Heat - I don't know about how other people feel about this but I hate it when tank fights just get to the point where you are both sitting there red and just waiting for it to go down a bit so you can get a shot off. I think it should be reworked so only plasma weapons give you heat from the enemy, maybe some from things like nukes(but not an instant full bar). Also I think you should have to have 16 heat free if you want to shoot a HE shell instead of just having like a little sliver of heat down.

standard cannon - too much heat? I think something 10-12 is more reasonable.

What are your thoughts?

2. ploosDok

ploosDok NOT a tester

same.
    But Simon, you dont have to sit in your hot tank, you can get out and repair your armor while waiting for the tank to cool down! really. :)
    I don't see a big problem in normal games, usually this happens only in tank wars.

The advantage of nf tanks used to be the higher weight limit.
    not a big difference in that any more.

3. Simon

Simon Banned

I'm not talking about tank wars. I'm talking about real games where your both just kinda sitting there red waiting for the heat to go down 1 bar so you can fire and then wait for it to go down again.

If you get out and repair when your red and another tank is there he will just murder you.

4. ploosDok

ploosDok NOT a tester

you can repair it from behind. since both tanks are overheated, he cant do much ^^
    if you overheat too much, use missiles. use cannons more carefully.
    IMO the only weird thing is you get heat from the enemy's shells, other than plasma/nuke.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i just think nf tanks need room to move around and be effective.. but on a map like Crossroads BE tanks can just plow thru them

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well it does explode against your armor. A lot of energy comes free. I'd rather have my armor absorb it than get damaged.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I like the heat as is partially because it gives the bio-diesel engine serious advantages. When I use that, I can retreat overheated and it makes hit and run attacks ridiculously effective.

The heat system is fine imo, but the NF vs BE heavy debate has some merit. I never really use heavies, so idk anything about it, but i can imagine this being a real problem. Something to investigate, at least.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

aquiring heat from being hit really slows down the gameplay in a massive way. there's a timer before you start loosing heat after you last recieved it, and in combat that means that you sometime never get the chance to start loosing heat...

perhaps this timer should be removed, if not:

i 100% agree that heat from being hit should be removed unless it's a plamsa weapon, as that coupled with the timer means that you heat up really high.

i really really agree with you that you should need to have the required heat for a weapon to be able to fire.

this would make tank combat much much funner.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i liked the idea someone had a while ago (dee?) about giving NFs a single 4 slot cannon and keeping the armor advantage to help even them out. but seeing as we are in 'no more features' mode mabey just using heat would be easier to code (if balancing is still being tweaked, or is it only bug fixes right now?).

10. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I think giving the NF tank a 3-slot MG would even it out with the BE heavy honestly, four cannons would be pushing the extreme in my opinion.

But don't forget, they'll have sideports at one point as far as I know, it's gotta count for something aside of gigantic weight and price issues.

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

funny how heat is one of the ways to lower the dual cannon BE advantage

12. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

That is NOT an issue with an advanced coolent engion and an engineer with the cooling upgrade. About the only thing that can over heat that is the chain gun. I remember doing that with dual HE and not having to sit around much at all.

13. Simon

Simon Banned

Dual HEs will red you pretty fast especially if you are getting hit by someone else. With coolant and engineer upgrade.

CHAINGUN?!?!?!? That is the only thing that can overheat a tank with advanced coolant and engy coolant??????

I give up. I must be playing a diffrent game then everyone else.

14. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Chaingun is a HEAT MONSTER lately, but I agree with simon that advanced coolant and engineer cooling upgrade still doesn't protect you from heat from anything but maybe a standard MG. Unless you're firing those HE's 30 seconds apart, they can overheat you pretty damn fast, especially if your fighting someone and on the move which means you're cooling at half the rate you normally would.

15. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

My theory for the chain gun is that who ever did the balancing just got boned by it some how so they mega nurfed it and now its only usefull killing some one whos right in front of you. When you might as well run them over:rolleyes: . But Yea I normaly go with some one else and double team up on any poor bastards so it might be slightly scewed lol.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i still think the chaingun is a beast actually, on glycen you can just drive around the center in circles murdering every player you see, even grens. that is kinda close range but not always.

17. Drag

Drag Member

Well, 2 HE cannons produce 32 heat within 2 seconds of firing. Advanced Coolant "should" take away about 18 heat within 2 seconds on idle if I'm not wrong. Leaves 14 heat generated per double shot.

After 7 double shots you should be in critical red, the advanced coolant engines begins to stall, after 8 double shots you are overheated.

Lets say the cooling upgrade helps the engine by taking away 2 heat, which already would be tremendous improvement. Then you will be critical in 8 shots and overheated in 9 double shots. One way or another you don't get to fire half your clip before being overheated. That is if you don't move and don't get hit. So one cannot say there is "no heat problem" with a double cannon. I know these are theoretical numbers taken out of scripts (e.g. absolutely no argument for forum "discussions") but one might find some truth in it.

On the other hand 8 shots are really deadly and if you call your shots, eg. dont just keep the button pressed you can use the cannons without overheating yourself.

The NF tanks have more than the Brenodi tanks though, even more so if the BE tank takes 2 cannons he has to cut down the armor even more. What I don't like is that someone put out the flaw of the BE heavy/med having limited backside armor.

BE heavies are in everyway stronger than the NF Heavy, because more armor just doesn't cut it when you need to kill an enemy tank. HE rips through armor anyway. There has to be done something about that or BE has serious late game advantages and NF will be the "gimped rush faction" because light tanks don't cut it anymore.

Sandbag: Taking heat from damage has been reduced in the latest RC, compare the script files for proof.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I think whoever made this comment (yes lets get direct for a change) has no idea what the chain gun is good at and can't aim for shit, also probably didn't bother trying it out after deciding he sucks cocks.

19. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

No Ive found it simply more effective to shot infantry with the cannons and use a few shots from the normal mg to finish them off, than use the chain gun that "might" hit them at anything but point blank range(what I consider one and a half tank lengths away) and then leave me as a sitting duck overheated.:skull: But every one has there own tactics.

20. Simon

Simon Banned

Every time I get direct I get an infraction. :(