Tank turret speed upgrades

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Dubee, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

As of right now the tanks turrets spin as fast as you want them too.

I was thinking that like sentry gun upgrades you could maybe start off with the slowest tank turret spinning speed and research something or combine it with turret upgrades to make them spin faster.

This way if you rush super armored powerful tanks inf would have some sort of chance to fight back(like NF heavies trying to turn to get an inf running circles around him). Or you could get weaker weapons but be able to kill infantry easier... Thoughts?

pros:
    Add's more choice of anti-tank/anti-inf research.
    makes it easier to shoot out of the hatch

cons:
    Could just change mouse sensitivity?
    not worth coding or time.

2. NerdIII

NerdIII Member

You cannot change the mouse sensitivity, because we have seperate config files for vehicle driving and only the pros will know how to increase the mouse sensitivity for vehicles only by factor 4 or whatever they like. Your cons need more work ;)
    As for the second pro, that idea came to my mind as well when this suggestion came up in a certain other thread.
    The upgrades should not increase the turn speed too much I think. Make it so that the tanks get an advantage over other tanks without the upgrade, but don't have them turn around on infantry behind them in an instant.

In addition the mouse cursor would still allow you to look around freely, but the turret would lag behind. A turret-fixed camera would be annoying with a mouse as input device.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't see level 3's too often so I was thinking if you research them and it increases your tank turret speed then you would basically have upgraded infantry defense. So if you know the enemy is going to have more infantry than tanks you could go that path and have a better chance at killing infantry compared to having tanks that are good at kill tanks/buildings.

It's a real up in the air idea that I want you guys to either help me mold or shoot down. (hence not the many cons listed)

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you implement turning speed you should do it the way unreal does it, your aiming cursor goes where you point it, and the cannon then tracks to try and catch up with it.

Also I suspect you will find it amazingly hard to shoot if you don't massively increase projectile speed.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It's already hard to compensate for arc and time-till-impact. Buy we can't increase projectile speed to make this easier...

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Correct as source bugs out if you increase projectiles above a certain speed.

However it will still likely become impossible to hit without it, if you take into account the fact that your turret won't be aiming where you point it, it will likely be lagging a little behind your aim.

7. NerdIII

NerdIII Member

It will be lagging behind and you can easily see where it aims when you draw an imaginary line from the canon. With a heavy tank I would turn on the spot to speed up the aim when I need to. I accept that with slower turrets I won't be able to click away the nasty infantry with my .50cal when they are too close. I don't know how much it would affect tank fights.
    • On slaughtered's s-bent or rainbowroad I seldom have to turn my turret.
    • Sometimes I don't watch my back when I attack an enemy base and get shot from behind. With a slow turret I can't return fire instantly, but it was my fault there.
    • People may always try to get behind an enemy tank's turret unseen before they open fire.
    • Tanks end up circling each other so they can keep the aim. But they already do this to keep the same distance so they don't have to estimate the arc again and also to avoid being hit.

If this gets considered, how would you balance the turret speed of different chassis? If I had no chance of hitting an apc when I am in a heavy I would be pissed, but I would like to give the light tank an interceptor role. Two light tanks should be able to kill a sole heavy. But I understand if others prefer the heavy to simply be the end game tank that can't be stopped by mines, grenadiers, turrets or light tanks.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Slow moving tank turrets aren't planned any time soon. This would all be considered then anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.