Tank turret aiming, are we really going to keep it?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jun 8, 2017.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

All this talk is focused on the second crosshair which, as bunnyhopper pointed out, is literally just a .vtf that needs to be adjusted or changed. The real problem is the jitter while moving the turret, it's not a smooth move from A to B, it's a series of jumps that look unnatural and awkward.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The joke is that a lot of things in empires are actually really simple things to change, but 99% of the userbase isn't going to do that for a multitude of good reasons. So we get stuck with whatever until a dev feels like changing it.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I absolutely agree, and this problem is made worse by the fact that devo is busy with life and can't help with these issues.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I actually am in favour of the second crosshair. Try it without, and then decide if you like it.... That said, I agree with Kidpaler that the blue is rather off-putting.

Again, try the turrets with a slower speed in the scripts... I personally prefer them slower.

This change also decoupled the second seat rotation from the turret rotation. So firing from the second seat is much easier now.

5. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

I think the second crosshair thing needs to be there if you have a slow turret rotation with free look to make you be able to pre aim effectively before the turret arrives.

You may see the red crosshair jitter about. The thing is that it has always jittered about even under the old system.

I think if they actually fixed it so the cannon was pointing where you're aiming instead of this awkward parallel aiming system that is being used at the moment. You would really be able to focus on the much smoother blue crosshair for your aim, which is much better than the old jittery system we have always had when looking over walls and aiming at tanks and players. They also need to ensure you can't aim outside of where you can shoot unless you press like a free look button. To be honest if they fixed these two things I'm pretty sure everyone would actually like the new system because of the much smoother system of aiming than what we used to have.

This is not a problem of there being a second crosshair. The problem is the two crosshairs never line up, which is an issue that can be made much much better by changing from parallel aim to a system that aims the cannon where you're looking.

Yes what we have now is certainly much much worse than the old system. But Vulcan has said in a few patches there will be improvements on this system. It can't come soon enough to be honest, what we have now is horrendous. But I'm going to reserve judgement until I see how the improved one performs.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

Make it turn offable in options also with multiple choosable crosshairs.

Why not have options.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

All valid points, but what I meant was not the crosshair behaving funny, but the turret itself. It not moving smoothly around is extremely jarring.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

We are talking about two different issues. Mine has naught to do with the behaviour of crosshairs, I am only talking about the turret itself.

9. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

Oh. I never really had an issue with that. Although I see it now. The turret rotation seems to update very infrequently. So the turret itself looks like a slideshow and it also causes the crosshair to look a bit like a slideshow. It looks like it updates slower than the tick rate, seems like only like 10 times a second but i might be wrong. Any dev can clarify?

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

All 3 issues/functions are just ridiculously bad and implemented even worse.

1. 2nd croshair is confusing ugly and irrelevant
    2. The jittery unsmooth lag is unsettling and makes the game look like an unoptimized piece of shit
    3. It doesnt make the game any harder via its functionality but by its confusing nature and uglyness

I think anyone here would prefer coupling 2nd seat back to 1st seat if we can get back to the previous system which was lightyears ahead of what we got now

#dontfixwhataintbroken #liketheempiressounds

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Let's have the same conversation we've had 10 times already, because I'm sure this time people will listen...

You noobs are still arguing about the wrong thing, the main problem is the FREE LOOK. Remove it, make a keybinding to turn it on.
    Secondary, a bit less important is the jittery feel of the turret rotation which is shit and the exact opposite of fluid. Figure it out, or remove it.
    And the very least important, the stupid blue crosshair being dominant over the ACTUAL CROSSHAIR.

There is nothing to argue about, these are the problem, if they're not fixed in 2.14 then obviously you have no idea what you're doing, end of story.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Lets have an off the book bet if all 3 are going to get fixed.