Tank turret aiming, are we really going to keep it?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

So the new tank aiming thing, with the red dot and blue dot.
    Are we really going to keep it? Cause its a piece of fucking shit.
    Like think about it, what was the reason we got it in the first place? -> To make tanks vs infantry harder for the tanks. But its not, its absolutely not. The only thing it does is;

1. It looks like a laggy piece of shit. It looks like the game is unoptimized
    2. It doesnt make tank combat any harder with the intended mechanism, it makes it harder because your screen is blocked and ugly
    3. Its just so ugly and so redundant for us to have.

Does anyone actually feel like this is a step forward? Like seriously dev team, do you guys think this is a stepforward from what we had? Cause its a fucking horrendous mistake on your part and I really hope next patch we remove it again. Its a disgrace you guys even put it in there.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I actually agree. The double crosshair is confusing and hard to get used to. Looking beyond your tank's aiming range is another thing that takes a lot of getting used to, and it's tightly connected with the double crosshair problem. And all we get from that is a jittery looking turret that doesn't impact gameplay, but messes with the smoothness of the game. As it stands, the turret rotation thing is a step in the wrong direction.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I actually played with an artillery the other day, and I couldn't tell where I was aiming 90% of the time.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

That shit has to go, I dont like how much more annoying infantry is to deal with. I don't mind gren upgrades, but if I cant fucking hit them. Infantry are going to have some real ground swell.

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I think the blue crosshair needs to be changed to a smaller more subtle white circle that your other crosshair always is trying to be in the center of. I agree the blue is a bit distracting, but otherwise this change brought some other great things such as second seat being usable. Blue is very in your face and distracts you from stuff going on around you, plus it doesn't line up 100% of the time atm.

I like the idea of the change, I don't like the crosshair implementation. I hope that that is changed.

1. Yea, it looked much better when it was even a tad slower. I'd support each chassis being a bit slower and then having the tank weapons actually do more damage to compensate for the turret turn rate.

2. It doesn't make it harder atm because it's pretty much the same speed as before.

3. It's funny you mention redundant because this point is the same as point 1.

7. Paradox

Are the 2 intertwined? the usability of 2nd seat and having this godawful ugly shit mechanic?

also point 3 was there to emphasise my oppinion on how fucking ugly and shittily this was implemented.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yes. Yes it is intertwined. The tank turret code was COMPLETELY RE-WRITTEN because before it was functional but apparently EXTREMELY sloppy. With this change, it added in new features for Tank Turrets, (That also don't have to be utilized, it's in the scripts I believe), along with improving the code base for easier changes to them in the future.

Thexa and Vulcan have talked about how crappy the code is and how stuff shouldn't work but it somehow does. A lot of the recent bugs are because they are going back over the old code and making it more in line with today's coding standards and making it easier for edits in the future. This is so they aren't having to track down some variable that is in some section of the code that it shouldn't be.

Edit: The change actually looked great at slower speeds.

9. Paradox

You mean we're fucking stuck with this 2nd crosshair? Thats disgusting

revert it, 2nd slot seat dun matter anyway in comparison to 1slot seat not working

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I think it could easily be fixed through a more subtle second crosshair instead of the all over the place blue one.

The point of that crosshair was to show "freelook". Right now, it's a tad overpowering and takes up a majority of the focus during tank combat. I personally think it should be a small subtle white circle that doesn't have it's own crosshair, but rather the main crosshair always goes to the center of it. This would take focus off of the blue one and I believe fix the issue.

I've grown kind of use to it lately, it's not as much a bother as it was before I will say.

11. Paradox

If you live on a garbage dump you'll get used to the smell too, but newcomers will smell it and run the fuck away.

Why do we need a freelook, thats so stupid with this turret speed

12. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Correction, new people won't run away. They will figure it has been the system that is in place and play with it naturally.

The free look was added because it was suppose to be a factor that wasn't dependent on turret speed. It was added so that, no matter the speed, you could look around you. I don't know what the plan is for the turret speeds, so I won't speak for Security, but I wouldn't mind them getting a tad slower for each turret and maybe a research in Mechanical Engineering to increase decrease traverse time. I would support that.

13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If they are new, they wouldn't of known we had better tank aiming before.
    They would just accept the current tank aiming has always been there. Which is conditioning.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wat? When this was first being tested there wasn't a second crosshair, but you could still look wherever you wanted to, just had to wait for the turret to get there. I'll say the same thing now as I did then, I don't see the point of the second crosshair at all. It would make sense if it was for a second weapon or something that was independent of the turret, but it isn't. The crosshair for the tank turret always points where it's going to shoot, so just fire whenever it passes by the enemy.

I guess it's to help people who don't look at the center of the screen to preaim at things, but it still feels kinda pointless.

As a personal aside, when we tested with way slower speeds I didn't really feel handicapped at all when shooting at things, so I don't think it'll be very useful in any sort of balance. It would work if you slowed the chassis down as well I think, but then we get into a sort of gameplay that isn't very empires like.

I'm not bothered by the actual slowness of the turret though, it just feels like it has some weight to it. I certainly don't like the second crosshair, it just keeps making me thing there's some secondary function to it outside of "you are looking in this direction".

15. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

The second crosshair is meant to show the center of the screen so you can be aiming at a target while your barrel catches up to you. It's not really needed now, but it was added because while playing with it slow it was moderately difficult to aim where you wanted.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

It was very confusing when I was trying to use it. The second crosshair is quite difficult to understand, and still doesnt make sense once you know what it does. I hope something is done to fix that

17. Lazybum

I disagree, it wasn't hard at all, but I guess some people haven't figured out roughly where the center of the screen is yet after all these years of games.

18. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

This is exactly the point. For vets it isn't hard because they have years of experience. For a new person coming in, it would be difficult. It's meant to serve as a guide.

19. Lazybum

I think you missed my keyword of "games". Empires has nothing to do with this at all, just playing fps games in general is enough. Even then though, the crosshair is obvious enough, it's not hard to use. Once the turret is actually aiming in front of you even with a real slow turret speed it's still fast enough to keep up with minor movements of the crosshair. I just don't get it.

I did understand it in war thunder a bit, because you could look around without the turret following. So the second cursor acted as a reminder of where your turret would end up while looking around, but we don't have that here.

20. bunnyhopper

bunnyhopper Member

Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\materials\vgui\vehicles\hud
    hud_vehicle_crosshair.vtf
    Change it to something else...or nothing if you don't like current crosshar
    Here I swapped it with (vgui/hud/redArrow) Looks like crap..But just an example.

emptest.jpg

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.