Tank Cockpits

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by grayclay88, Dec 27, 2007.

1. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I would love tank cockpits, I think that'd be both fun and gameplay-improving.

also, this is the 1000th thread in the suggestions forum

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

meh, i like it the way it is, but it would be nice to add to the teamwork if they didn't something along the lines of operation flashpoint

4. REX

REX Member

they look very nice, but it would make tank drivers lose a good amount of overview. But since I dont like tank driving all that much and usually end up being grenadier it wont ruin my day if something like this was put in :D.

5. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

i've been thinking something similar to this, but i know people wont like it.

Separate the drive and gunner into two different seats, one person drives, and the other operates the turret.

I've wondered when someone would put something like that into a game

6. REX

REX Member

try OFP and that is quite a few years old, there you have gunner, driver and the commander who spots stuff and tells what direction to go in and so on.

7. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Really, I know that most people wouldn't like the whole driver/commander/gunner thing. But if you just had these awesome tank cockpits, with a driver who also controls the main gun, and a seperate machine gunner...

Oh, and it IS possible to shoot people when they are poking out of the tank. Thats the trade off, increased visibility for decreased saftey.

8. Bademeister

Bademeister Member

As a sticky-loving rifleman, I'd of course support this idea. It would also make infantry more usefull late game, as tanks would need some close-up cover against sneaky inf.

It would be a rather important factor how big that tank cockpit would be - if it is too big, it would be too annoying, and games should be fun.

9. Namron

Namron Member

It should be included.

Tank cockpits and restricted sensitivity (no cannons spinning around close to the speed of sound), but for game balance's sake heavy machine/chainguns to keep the agile infantry at bay.

Also, tanks with less overview requires more teamplay (infantry cover, a spotter in the tank turret etc).

10. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

Sticky nades would be infinitely deadly if this was implemented since you can't see the grenade coming towards you if the Rifleman throws it from behind or the sides.

11. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

tank cockpits would be a large handicap for arty, i like the idea, for the teamwork it would encourage.

I mean, i may not have been playing empires for more then a week or two, but i still love the game, and would love to help improve it, I already have a badass map planned out on paper, but thats for another thread, hehe.

Tank teamwork for the win, even if it is a large visual handicap

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I imagine, the slit you see out of would be the width of your screen and only a little bit thinner, so you'd loose some top and some bottom of the screen, which wouldn't matter all to much really. especially as there will be dials and so on showing your heat and speed

13. Andariel

Andariel Member

Im strongly against something like that because i love my wannabe mechwarrior tanks

I like teamwork and such but afterall it is the future(alternate reality hightech fiction) not 1943,if you would force multiple people to have to use 1 tank these tanks would need a highly increased effectiveness.

Also i think when you want absolute realism in your games, Enlist to the army.

(sorry@krenzo but overheat and weapon hardpoints with that colorcode? overheat as a balancing factor was introduced by battletech and mech4 introduced colorcoded weapon hardpoints, to make the mech construction simple for the masses)

14. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

While I'm not going to attack your post, I'll respectively point out a few things.
    Overheating wasn't, in all honesty, created within a game, its an actual factor thats been around since blackpowder weapons. if the barrels would overheat, they would grow warped, and would prevent use, so i can understand that factor.

As far as the color coding weapons slot system, its probably not directly from that, thought its a simplifying idea, i'm sure the concepts been there for a long time, but i'm fairly certain that you cant exactly copyright color coding.

I'm not saying that the one man tank crew idea isnt wrong or bad, i'm just saying that a multiple person crew, or the detailed cockpit would be great for inspiring teamwork.

15. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

While I believe that having a whole tank crew would work wonders in private matches (Driver could focus on dodging and getting places, while gunner would be able to focus on just shooting), on public servers this would result in only teams with well-coordinated squads and such having any tanks worth their salt, whilst the other team would have people hopping into tanks' gunner seats and spamming in teamchat, "driver here driver here come on."

16. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

Hell, i'd be more then happy to be the "deginated driver" so to speak

While I love tank to tank fights, and the satisfaction of getting the killing blow, i'd honestly be happier for being known as a great evasive driver, even if the cockpit view would be used, i think it would be awesome...on a different note, i wonder what server most people play, i'd love to learn different things from some of the senior forum members, could someone pm me the ip?

17. REX

REX Member

seperate driver and gunner would not work very well with current shell speeds, as the coordination between driver and gunner would be next to impossible when shooting.

Just try to sit in a tank as passenger and try to shoot something with the mortar and you will understand. Even though passengers no longer follow the movement of the turret, even very tiny adjustments in direction will make you miss the target that is also moving. As it is now you shoot a whole lot in front of stuff that moves even on somewhat close range you have to shoot in front of fast moving tanks to hit them.

So this would be fun, but I do believe tanks would get rapped by grenadiers all the time.

I dont think multiple crew would work well unless the entire game was rebalanced with near realistic projectile speed for the shells among many other things.

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

The way it generally works in RO is a tank will just find a spot with some good cover thats within range of the action, and sit still and snipe. The RO tank maps are around the size of a large BF2 map, and you get that kind of range on the guns. The shell speed is nearly instantenous, but not enough to make it unrealistic.

Again, I repeat that the driver could ALSO be commanding the gun, and there would just be driver/mgunner spots. The tank cockpit is mostly a visual thing.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

yet another way to slow down gameplay.

Phooie to you people - I prefer tanks as they are, as unrealistic as it may be. If I wanted RO style tanks, I'd buy RO...

20. pedro0930

pedro0930 Member

I support the cockpit thing, as long as it's just a visual effect. (and handicap the tank crew a bit). But to have separate gunner and driver, especially on a public server? That's just crazy. Yes, teamwork is good, but not when it's nearly impossible.