Sys reqs and Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by PreDominance, Feb 7, 2009.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well I'm buying a new computer, and it's pretty decent. It's middle-class, however, it has integrated graphics with a 128MB shared memory. So I have a situation.

A-Buy a 512Graphics card + 1gig of ram(1536 Ram total)
    B-Buy 2gigs of Ram(2048+512=2570?) and keep my graphics.

What should I do?
    (Full computer link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals)
    Thanks for your help!
    Steve

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Graphics card! The current integrated graphics technology is ridiculously subpar with dedicated graphics cards. Seriously, don't expect to play a lot of games, even old ones, with integrated graphics.

Also, RAM slots are ridiculously cheap nowadays. 2 gigs of RAM is about 50 bucks or something. Take your electronic cake and eat it aswell :)

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yeah, I have 40$, so I can either buy two 1-gigs, or a 20$ 512MB gfx card + a gig.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

You are buying a NEW piece of shit like that? Why would you want to? Thats not middle class, you shouldnt even be able to buy such a pc as a new one, as a used one maybe.

Save a bit more get something with those specs:

amd 4850e
    2-4gig ddr2 ram
    hd 4670
    350 psu
    motherboard ma770-ds3

Should be less then 200$ and good enough for most of today games.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Lol, I looked on TigerDirect, and no good. If you can find something like that Kudos to you, but otherwise I'm stuck with what I've got. The only games I'm planning on playing are:
    -Counter-Strike:Source
    -Empires
    -Left for Dead
    -Team Fortress 2
    -Command and Conquer Generals ZH
    -Gmod
    -Portal

A computer with a 512 graphics card, 1-gig ram, and 1.95ghz can easily play all of those. (The graphics is a Radeon x700, year-old..) My newer one is better than all of those, so it should easily play them too.

6. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

How much are you willing to spend? Because, you can get a pretty decent computer these days for cheap.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well, I've decided to stick with the one I posted in my first post, (See, link).

Imma planning on getting for it a 512 graphics card by canceling the express shipping, then gradually building up Ram. Thanks for your help everyone!
    Steve

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I wonder if you can play l4d with that

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you cant, and if you can it should be at a very low frame rate methinks :(

sorry...

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I have a computer with:
    1.95GHZ Processor
    512graphics Radeon X700(Year old..)
    512RAM
    120GB HDD
    That plays L4D, Empires, CS:S, Tf2, Portal, and Gmod flawlessly.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what is the motherboard type and brand

many people forget it, but its rather important...

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Hence why I didn't remember it :s

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Ram isn't so much important as long as you have the right type. That type being DDR2. If you have DDR, it's like $40 for 1 gig ram.

DDR2 they sometimes have sales for down to $10 a gig.

If you have an integrated card, I would hope you have 4 ddr2 slots on your machine. It seems to run cleaner for the machine if you have more physical slots. may just be me.

One problem is that RAM for your PC isn't specifically made to suite your Vid card. I would say the difference between integrated vid cards and other vid cards is like the difference between PC and Console. Console, everything is mostly made specifically to work for that console. That makes it run better.

The RAM in your machine isn't dedicated to your vid card (it is but it isn't, if ya get what i'm saying). likewise, the RAM wasn't made for your vid card. That's the inherent downside to on board chip sets.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the fact that your motherboard integrated graphics unit uses the main processor to calculate, plus that all this traffic has to pass the same lines that are used for all the other calculations, makes it slower

even if you have a graphics card with dedicated memory, a part of your motherboard ram is going to be allocated as graphical memory, to be used according to how heavy your graphics card is loaded, and how much it can handle

more slots (filled, for example 2 cards of 1 gb < 4 of 512 gb ram) mean a broader bus can be used, in layman's terms, it just means in stead of having 2 pipes you have 4, even if the total water storage attached to the pipes is the same

15. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

So what would I rather have? I have 2 256's, and I have two more slots. I was thinking of filling those up with two 1gig's.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

when you get new chips, they'll have to be the same speed for optimal performance. If you get 2 gigs, but each chip is slower than the ones in there already, your RAM will be slowed down to the slowest speed or just not work.

Also, it needs to be put in order of largest to smallest.

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well all of this is moot anyways. When we ordered the computer, it said IN STOCK.
    *five days later*
    *cricket...cricket...*
    So we called and complained, and now I got hooked up with a better computer!

2gigs Ram
    320GB HDD
    2.0GHZ Dual-Core Celeron processor.
    And a whopping 895MB Nvidea 7050 Graphics. (Still integrated, BUT FTW!)
    It has two more Ram slots, so I might throw in another 2 one-gigs.
    I'm POSITIVE this thingy will play Empires.

Thanks for all your help!
    Steve

18. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

thats not real dedicated ram, it can take up to 895mb ram from the main one.

At least your new choice should have ddr2 and pcie, that means you can get a very good gpu for about 50$ and another 2gb for about 20$.

19. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

still not cheap enough to my likings, where does it say what motherboard it has? since when does a pc have a lifestyle

and whats this

You see, i prefer to buy my computer as individual peaces so that i know what is inside my pc, not only what the components are supposed to be able to do, but also how they are made, what quality work it is and what there average performance limits are

DELL does not offer me this flexibility to find out, or trustworthy information sources