Sweet game and a few ideas

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Simon, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Simon

Simon Banned

First off, wow, the game is sweet. I own BF2 but I don't play it because I like empires more. I've only had it crash once and I've probably played way too long.

One thing I do notice though, is games always tend to be really drawn out at the end and I've never gotten past light tanks/arty or med tanks/arty for research because the game is over by that point. The games also tend to be fairly one sided.

I was thinking maybe decreasing research times and cost. That should help speed the game up and maybe balance it out more so the team with less resources might have less tanks but they wouldn't get stuck far behind in research. Maybe have certain things cost alot in research. Like advanced chassis. Make it sorta more of a decision, do I save for arty or heavys or do I try and win the game with alot of light tanks.

Also maybe have arty do decent damage to walls? Some games it gets down to they have walls around everything and lots of level 3 turrets (which I think should cost alot more) and I have no one good with arty to snipe their cv, the game just takes forever to end.

Another idea might be having more resources at start. Like on canyon (I think, the one with the giant rock thing in the middle and 3 top res) where it is possible to get a vf and apc at start of game to rush the top and not spend 5 min walking.

My 2 cents... I dunno really what would work. It might be interesting to see what the NS team did because I think they had the same thing before too I think. But yeah, sweet game. I'm going to go play right now actually.

2. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

People can't just change the rules because they suck at the game, right?

It's up to you and your team to cap refineries, if you don't have enough resources to spend who's fault is it? Those first resources you have should be used to cap refineries, I can't stress that enough, forget about the vehicle factory for a few damned minutes, forget your worthless jeeps.

Decreasing research times and cost eh? You talk about where you'd have to make decisions, well, since everythings so expensive, you already have to make those decisions, in my humble opinion, costs are fine.

Yes, games to tend to be drawn out at the end, yes, it's one sided, it used to be where you can make a comeback, thank the resource reformation.

Canyon? No, the map you're talking about is Mvalley, but nice guess :)

Regardless, glad you're enjoying the mod, it takes a respectable amount of intelligence to appreciate games like this (Something most people lack nowadays of course).

3. FalconX

FalconX Developer

There was discussion on the IRC about increasing the research costs, in order to balance out a decrease in vehicle costs so they would be more common near the end of the game.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

altho I agree abit, the games I played with you Simon we didnt really get far into research because the enemy didnt show much resistance at all. Doesnt matter if they have a few good ppl, when they dont have a good comm and they dont work as a team theyll be crushed with ease, you just need to exploit your factions strength. The 2 games I played with you as NF, was simply, make them not be able to get more ground so they would spend most of their money on defence, then finishing it off with arty.
    The game could have gone a lot longer but on crossroads and canyon they require a lot more teamwork and good starting research. On bigger maps there are so many options the game could end very very fast or will take ages. I wouldnt know what the best solution is but I think turrets are one of the reasons.

Most commanders dont play this as an rts, they play it more like they are the support class while they should make the strategies

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Simon, for your first post, i was so glad you weren't all "better sniper rifle and more airplanes" like so many others.

Wizzy man, try to be a bit more welcoming.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

If you've got dizzy as comm, you hardly lose =P Basically all you need to win is 2 good players and a random mix of average Joes...unless of course you have less good players.

But I've been in a few games where the game was one-sided and then the team which was on top lost....always look out for the ninjas who do a last assault on the comm vehicle =P

7. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Sorry, I was bittin' by the Asshole Bug a few days ago, the affects haven't quite worn off yet.

8. Muadib

Muadib Member

OMG y0u kn0w 4 g00d 1d34? 4 b3tt3r sn1p3r r1fl3!
    just kidding.
    As far as research goes, it is set up that way for a reason.
    Every comm has their own research style that can vary by map.
    You have to make tradeoffs when it comes to research.
    Comp armor or lvl 3 turrets? that is part of the fun.
    PS. turrets on badlands, armor on pretty much any other map :o)

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

muadib (how the hell do you pronounce that?): im glad you understand the basics of com research. i wish more experienced players got it as well as you seem to.

simon: i agree the game needs to make it easyer for teams to comeback but i dont think your going about it the right way.

both of yall: welcome to the forums.

EDIT:damnit, i just realised that everyone post count was erased.

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

It's pronounced "moo-ah-deeb," Quackums. And the postcounts aren't erased, just hidden.

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

It's the name of the twin mouse shadows on the second moon... :D