Supreme Commander 2 Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MajorTom, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

[​IMG]

Any one else have this problem with their Sup Comm 2 (I know some of you have the game) and if so whats the solution?

2. Visorak06

Visorak06 Member

Good god, I've had problems with Supreme Commander: FA before, but nothing like that. My best guess is that you have borked data. Might want to reinstall. If that doesn't help check the temp on your graphics card and make sure its not overheating.

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Its what happens when the UEF front man on your team decides he wants to tech rather then spam out units to defend the front.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is that you bought supcom 2, and not the clearly superior supcom1 or FA

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

if he is not into multi than i am not suprised

sup com is still bugged to shit
    after of 20 mins of FA skirmish wiith 3 AI's, game speed is cut in half
    sc2 however is very poorly balanced, last time i played, mass gunships was the only logical strategy ( who the fuck gives gunships AA attack )

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i usually play against 7 of the toughest bots, with only a minor game speed lowering at end game (i wont say there isnt a lowering of game speed, but its not as severe as you seem to be talking about :/)

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

filler

8. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

What I've seen is every bit as severe. I played Co-op with HSM and scrims against FN and Hamster a couple of times and it went from two seconds for every in-game second to 4-5 seconds late in the round. We ended up playing two and a half hours for a 45 minute game. I've read from people who have had 8 seconds per in-game second.

Also QFT.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

u sure thats the game and not some hardware issue? you know it can get hot in summer, clean your fans and make sure your case gets enough fresh air ...

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I played FA for about a year

Its the shitty optimisation, not the hardware, fa is not that far from original sc, in which I could (because of bugs) play against a full AI team for hours without any slowdows

Also FA tends to freeze the game world for no reason (you still can go to options etc, but not save) fucking your last 2 hours over.

11. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

I think I found the problem, It seems to be that Supreme Commander uses the Moho(Mojo? I don't know what it's called and I'm too lazy to find out) Engine which apparently makes use of something called Graphics Instancing.

Apparently this is pre-disabled on ATI HD 4-5xxx Radeon series cards and Sup Comm 2 just won't accept that it is disabled and keeps trying to do this.

You can enable it by downloading ATI Tray Tools from here http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Tray-Tools-1.3.6.1042-download-733.html

The ironic thing is, Supreme Commander 2 appears ALL OVER ATI's website.

I have yet to try this on other games where this has been a problem, like Tropico 3.

Supreme Commander 2 is supposed to be really good even though there are the game play changes and bugs and I agree.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hahaha

13. RKB53

RKB53 Member

I hope you know this is the empiresmod forums.

14. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

You'd avoid the offical SC2 forum at all costs if you saw it yourself on the Square enix site. Its like a bunch of trolls from the forums on EA decided to move in.

15. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

If you think people troll here, look at facepunch or, ummm, that one board on 4chan we cannot talk about.

And Supreme Commander is good in the eyes of someone who plays a lot of other RTS games, mostly because the economy system is less of a more constant income and more a storage income, meaning land factories don't suck up mass/power constantly which required you to have a good economy to build more powerful units. With Sup Comm 2 the factories and buildings require only a onetime fee of whatever the mass/energy cost of the unit is, which can be good at times. Even the buildings only require a onetime mass/energy to build and you don't need to have a good economy to build buildings either. I don't think there is any upkeep costs for anything.

The disadvantage to this is that you can't assist factories or the construction of buildings, I don't know if this applies to experimentals though. However the engineers are more automated, automatically repairing and reclaiming things in their construction beam range and this will work on patrol routes so you can have them patrol base defenses and they will automatically repair them if damaged.

The replacement of the tier tech tree with a more conventional research tech tree wasn't a bad choice either, mostly because it improves existing units as you research. Rock head tanks will gain an additional tank barrel, anti-air, and even a personal shield, making for some interesting battles. Buildings (most notably economy buildings) can give you more mass, energy, and even research points per tick through research. You gain research points through combat and research buildings, meaning it appeals to the most obsessed turtler or economic powerhouse also.

And there is so much more that makes Sup Comm 2 have the right to bear the name Supreme Commander.

Yes it is not the Sup Comm you may know, but it is more of a modification of it, one that changes it to a more conventional RTS yet retains most of what made Sup Comm the way it is, mostly massive battles you can have with the enemy.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  16. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

In during new fags discussing main stream RTS that carries the title of being the successor of TA just for the sake of positive publicity.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ive played TA for years, i even still have it installed

id say Supcom is a decent enough successor

18. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

BA chickens fuck yeah

19. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

This ^

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Why the hell would you check temperatures after you reinstall? DO THAT FIRST!