Suggestions on stuff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DeadReckoning, Apr 25, 2007.

1. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

I'm getting ready to move out, so.. I'm thinking of selling my 360 (with everything), my cpu, memory, and video card. And upgrade my computer with a 5600+ and some 800DDR2. Can't decide on video card*saw a 7950gt for 199 or should I go with a 8800GTS? some suggestion). I'm doing this because I doubt I'll have time to mess around with a 360, and its just sitting there nowadays. (GoW dried up so fast.)

But I'am wanting to play Mass Effect, but that is way off.

Some more questions of, any good PC games coming out? Since I know alot of developers are going console. And theres probably a good amount of PC games I haven't got (supremecom,cnc3, i have stalker, havent got to try it yet) But I'm looking for any good PC games, (Action, RPG, Strategy, etc) coming up, or has been released between November06' to August07'?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Not sure about PC games but GTA4 is out in october. That might be worth hanging on to the xbox for a while.

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

UT3 and ET:QW might be out before August '07.

4. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Ya I read about that on Game Informer looks to be amazing, but october would be ok.
    PFD($1,000-2,000) because I'm still an Alaskan Resident -=D, but that check comes in October, so I'm ok on that if I decide to sell it. Cause it'll be when GTAIV comes =D.

5. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

So anyways, I havent been keeping up with PC Gaming for awhile, so any suggestions of games you think I havent tried, or need to asap -=)

Also, I've been looking to upgrade my 7600GT card, so these are the cards' I've been looking at.
    Sapphire 1950XT 256mb
    Sapphire 1950pro 512mb
    EVGA 7950GT 256mb
    PNY 8800GTS 320mb

Anyways, Imma hop onto stalker for a bit o.< so any suggestions would be great -=D. hope to get back to Empires soon enough

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

I would definitely get the 8800 unless you plan on getting a new card in the next 3-4 years (dx10 games) or if you don't want to use windows vista...

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

8800 will be dated by the time DX10 games come out, but even the 8800GTS (640 meg) crushes all other videocards (save the GTX, and soon to be Ultra), including the X1950 XTX in all games buy COD2. If you have the money, then get an eVGA 8800GTS.

Word of advice, don't touch AMD for the time being. The C2D cores are amazing, and they crush everying AMD has to offer for the time being really, and the C2Ds are lower power consumption. The Penryn processors from Intel (45nm) look even better. Hold off until AMD's new processor release this early summer I'd say.

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

8800 might be dated when DX10 games come out, but it will most likely still be able to render those games at a decent speed at decent graphics.

You do know AMDs TDP is the absolute max and Intels is the average right?
    I agree on holding off though, I'm doing that too :)

Also theres absolutely no performance increase between the 320 and the 640meg variant. OK maybe 5 fps but still not worth the extra $120 I think.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Look at comparisons of power to performance on AMD v Intel right now, and I will equate power to heat. TDP doesn't mean much, other than at what point you exceed the junction temps.

Depending on the games, 640 can make a 10% difference or so - the higher amount of frame buffer greatly favors high resolution textures. With games like Quake Wars ET looking crazy in terms of textures, I'll take the 640 for not much extra in the cost area.

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh you mean 380 instead of 280?

11. Thor

Thor Member

I'd definitely get a DX10 card, if anything. I'd probably go with the 8800 out of those selections, as the 7950's are getting a little dated, and personally, I don't trust Radeon.

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Where I look for parts, there is a 30 USD difference. Quite worth 30 USD, since the frame buffer will be used. You compare a 128 card to a 256, these days there is a difference.

As I see it, you follow one of two trends: buy new stuff every few years, constantly upgrade. For the latter, then get a 320. For the former, you get as top of the line as you can afford, which future uses in mind, IE, a need for a large frame buffer, a form factor that won't be dead soon, etc.

13. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Well, I got an AM2 socket, so I dont really wanna go for a C2D.....

Yet I dont want to be forced to buy a new mobo for a new CPU..
    I'am kinda hoping for the DX10 cards to come cheaper... But nvidia it seems to me, is turning the 8xxx's into the 5xxx's era..

So I'm probably gonna stick with the 7600GT right now, Imma just upgrade my RAM and CPU cause I'm selling mine to a friend.

Any game recomendations? Cause truly, I havent kept up with alot of PC games, and most I play now, are oldies that I never got to complete for a long time such as Deus Ex.