[suggestion] BRD's wishlist for commanding

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BlackRedDead, Aug 18, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

this is part of my personal "wishlist" project, a concept building WIP for a better, streamlined and fun empires that encourage players more to play together and produce less "wtf" moments!

Secondary Commander:

Commander renamed to General
    General's
    will still have all the abilitys like befor, while he can promote someone as Commander at larger games to concentrate on the strategic part and hand the tactical commanding over to someone else ;-)
    Commander Seat Location is at any Radar Building (model needs a seat&working console to enter Command mode!)
    Radar can be invaded, sabotaged and Commander be assassinated, Commander abilitys are restricted!
    ...to build only following Buildings:
    - Armory
    - Repair Pad
    - Walls
    - Turrets
    - MG Nest (concept here)
    - Cannon Bunker (concept here)
    - Stationary Artillery Site (concept here)
    ...to order only following Vehicles to production:
    - all except researchable vehicles (that goes with a new vehicle concept & balance published later)
    - can lock/restrict manufaction just like General
    ...can't research!

New tactical abbilitys for both:
    UAV

a small drone that appears in the sky of the battlefield flying a circle above the area for 120s and acts like a camera&radar combination in medium range
    Drone has 200-500 health and can be shot down by infantry - if enemy has radar in range it gets marked on the minimap for everyone
    180s cooldown

Supply Drop
    drops a "big"(1,5x the height of infantry and qubic) crate that replenish&heal/repair infantry&vehicles in a small area at a fast rate that lasts for 60s but can be destroyed (200-500hp)
    240s cooldown

Artillery Strike
    just the same like the Squad Leader ability
    maybe double the shots in half more area (1,5x or 150%)
    300s cooldown

Bomber Strike
    just what it calls, need to be researched and can be upgraded
    1-3 bombers, more bombers mean wider bombing path - bombs do moderate damage, needs to be balanced tough! - but bombs should fall with a bit inaccuracy and have a decent small explosion radius - but kill most infantry at hit! (eighter that or large explosion radius that doesn't kill at 1 hit but enough to kill at a second hit)
    bombers have 400-600 health and get targeted by RL turrets and lock-on weaponary
    600s cooldown

Maybe ICBM/Atomrocket (requires research and silo)
    Warhead:
    needs research, adds silo building buildable by general only, buildrestriction to 1 at a time, medium explosion area (maybe 1 armory wide for the inner ring and another 2 for the outer ring, where the damage falls linear to zero), damage high enough to kill any non-barracks in inner circle and heavy damages them in the outer ring (dmg deepending on range to inner circle!)
    900s cooldown/buildtime
    Atomrocket:
    needs massive research, has a large explosion radius (maybe 1,5 barracks for the inner ring and another 2 for the outer ring, where the damage falls linear to zero), with the inner ring does enough damage to destroy everything in one hit except CV!
    1200s cooldown/buildtime - should ensure that only 1 can be fired per game (maybe as a reseting research, so that warhead ICBM's can still be fired from silos)
    Only 1 WarheadICBM/Atomrocket can be stored per silo!
    Maybe even smaller more tactical rockets could be build
    - like plasma warheads that overheat everything in a medium area and kills infantry in a smaller one, but do nearly no damage to vehicles
    - or biohazard that creates a small 60s lasting fog in a small area that infest everything with DoT that is in that area or drives/walks trough it in that time - damage enough to kill any unsupportet/healed infantry and serious damage even heavy tanks or destroy weak medium's

those ideas mainly are from BF2^^

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

This sounds like a total and complete resdesign of everything Empires is.... which I'm not quite sure is a good thing.

You want to make the commander the general, okay... why? Why would he promote commanders then? You are basically out sourcing his job to be done by other people, reducing his fun and presence on the battlefield. Currently, the game is decided based on the skill of players and the skill of the commander and we already do not have many skilled commanders. Making there be multiple commanders and a general now increases the needed skill but we can't do this because of player count and skill.

You also said remove medium and heavy... but why? This is literally Empires. You might as well go play battlefield at this point if you want 1 type of tank.

You want to remove squad abilities from my understanding and add normal abilities, this I think is counter productive to team work. Also, the UAV idea is already done, it is a camera or radar. Having a general fly over ability is kind of OP because it can't be taken out. As for the artillery, if you decrease the radius but double the strikes, this is also counter productive because by the time you call in the strike currently and it comes in, usually the target has moved. Decreasing the size would make this even more useless. Bombers, might be good? I don't know... it seems to be that it would be kind of OP to have a blanket carpet bomb striking an area, especially if it is upgradable because there are no air vehicles in the game. ICBM I would have to completely disagree with as this would be insanely OP because, from the idea, I gather you could eliminate the whole enemy base from your base.

I agree with a stationary artillery site, would be good for the early game if you dropped an arty building and it got assigned to a Squad, then the squad leader if scout could call it in with binoculars (giving them a use) this would be beneficial. Could reload it with Bio weaponry too that causes lurking clouds making it so you had to swap out a piece of equipment for a gas mask or something.

The cannon building sounds like a stationary anti-tank, or the Panther Wallurturm seen in WW2. I doubt the effectiveness of this in the game as a majority of this game is about mobility, rather than stationary. The only truly stationary things in this game are buildings and artillery, and buildings cant defend themselves. This idea sounds good, but I doubt it would work in practice as it would just get targeted by numerous tanks.

Overall, it sounds like you want battlefield rather than Empires.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Honestly i didnt read the whole shebang but suprsingly enough you are correct in thinking that there were/are alot of people who would rather just turn this into something it isnt.

4. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

yep, thats why i pack them together and call it brd concepts! ;-)

because the actual strategic part is a bit small - my concept is meant to improve the strategical part and allow a deeper tactical gameplay in the same turn!
    but with more opportunitys you might need some help at larger games^^
    also 64players = 32per team -1commander -5per squad resulting in 6squads = leaves one player alone! ;-)

about the naming, "commander" is actually a navy rank - so we eighter have the option to rename "commander" to "captain" or use "lieutenant commander" as the lower rank^^
    or change to the more matching army ranks (but they doesn't sound so cool, i prefer general and commander, that is quite accurate indicating the more strategic role of the general and the tactical of commanding troops to be commander)

dude, read in context!
    i said the new role commander cannot build heavy&arty from his command pannel - because heavy's are quite expensive and arty clearly a strategic unit ;-)

again, read in context - im ofc not finished with it and need to improve it - but all suggestions should already clearly attached to that concept and not the general game!

UAV
    read again, "can be shot down by infantry" - meaning its large/near enough to be effectivly targeted - also its not op, time limited and with cooldown - its a tactical feature independent from stationary and possibly unreachable cam's and infantry build radar's! ;-) - time, health, height and circle fly speed values need to be tested tough

Artillery Strikes
    have you ever seen them? - also lemme quote myself:
    well, you need to shot the barrage dude, and then the shells have to travel several km/miles, that takes some time from calling to actual hiting!

Bombing Run
    yep, but again, this is just conceptioning not actual balancing!
    if the idea matches to the actual gameplay concept is the goal of this thread! ;-)

Missile Silo
    yep, speed up those anoying siege phases where nothing happens because ppl tend to just and only use heavy's and forget about arty - defenders also tend to stay inside and repair -.-#
    a missile silo would be a threat that can shift the balance from both sides! - ICBM and Atomrocket are potential gameenders tough - but counter measures could be implemented aswell... well, conceptioning
    but to be fair, bombers could be enough for that job!^^

ehm, player controled - don't think that A.I. can handle "trajectory's"...?^^
    also not finished - wanted to draw the concept out first ;-)
    and im not sure about changing ammo, if that is possible and how it could be done for buildings - need to call an actual programmer of source games or even especially empires to answer the possibility question^^
    gas&gasmasks doesnt work so well gameplay wise - do you really wanna switch any perk or equip for a gasmask that you mostly don't need? - or weaponary that is able to gas a base so that you NEED to trade equip for a gasmask to counter the smog?!
    doesn't sound that fun to me ;-)

yep, orientated on the actual useless candy rockets wich just kindly remind you to "please keep out" but doesn't defend against tanks so well! (faster vehicles like buggys are meant to surpass that, thats okay!)
    thats why i thinkering with armored damage spot that needs to be attacked^^ - make it a hard defence, limited in range but good to actually hold a position - but because of that "defending power" and still against the fact that it needs a player, it should have its own build restriction/limiter!

a bit yes - but BF2 misses the strategic part - playing commander was quite boring and even anoying most of the time!
    i love empires for its rts part - but theres still room for more! ;-)
    its sad that we have not even one full rts/fps combination, because they can go hand in hand - several rts/fps mixes already proved that - being cnc:renegade, bf2142, nuclear dawn or empires - now combine them! xD

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Two things:
    1. You claim to read in context, and I did. Your English is just so shit that it doesn't get what you are trying to say across.

2. If you want empires to be like battlefield why not just play that? If you want it to be like nuclear dawn or any of those, why do you want it to be a failed game?

Seriously... I'm sorry but you are making empires something it can not be.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Seriously.. come up with unique ideas, not recycled trash we see in every other fps out there. Brd is wanting this to turn into an extremely fast paced fps with even more limited rts portions...

7. Avatarix

why not just go play project reality, you have these things in Desert Storm or Kashan

BlackRedDead and Donald Trump like this.
  8. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

@Donald Trump
    1. my english isn't very good thats true - but good enough in most cases and im learning! :)
    you can help me improve it with constructive critic about it - for me the sentence is clear, but maybe i think and write different tommorrow - as stated at the start its a fast markdown and will get polished in time

2. nope, you still refuse to get what this topic is about - anyway, ignorance won't stop me from mark it down :P

@Avatarix
    basebuilding in BF2? O.o
    well, BF2:PR is on my list - quite some time now, have forgotten to try it xP

9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I don't mean to insult your English, but if you are trying to give a suggestion you NEED to make sure it actually makes sense. Reason for this is because you come off as a sarcastic asshole when you say I am not reading in context, but it was just your English that was bad.

As for the topic, I do understand what this is all about. And they are almost all terrible ideas. This is Empires, quit making it something it isn't. Go play Project Reality if you want what you said. By suggesting these drastic changes as you have you are discrediting other people with actual legit suggestions by making the suggestion area seem filled with absolutely impossible things, which only hurts the legit suggestions that can be implemented and things that actually would benefit gameplay.

I haven't seen 64 players on in a month, this game has a population issue which this will only exacerbate.

I don't think any of us really care about the "ranking" as we had a spelling error in the game since day one that was just corrected about a month ago. Commander is a commander, we all know what that is, it fits in this game and the Brenodi and Jekotian's might have this actually be their ranking system, you don't know that.

Great, so now you took someone off the battlefield to split the role of the current commander who does the job just fine making the game even more complicated and harder for newbies to learn. This wouldn't fly over well at all, especially since they couldn't make tanks... a big part of the commander role to prevent noobs from rolling paper heavies.

Okay, I will read these in context and descibe why most of them are bad.

"Can be shot down by infantry" - Great, this requires models then, rigging, among many other things that the current development team is strapped to do. Not to mention, this isn't call of duty. We have Radar's and Camera's which are build able, and destroy-able to help with the flow of battle, a UAV wouldn't fit in here since we already have this job covered.

You should have said 150% of current radius, but even then, it becomes OP. Currently, a gren with enough squad points can solo kill an enemy commander easily enough, especially if stickied. Doubling the amount and increasing the radius will only cause more ninjaing to take effect, something that for a long time killed the community because the whole tactical game play people sought was removed by "BSID" APC rushes.

Aircraft have no place in this game.

Why do we want to speed them up? That is half the fun of Empires, fighting for small amounts of land and throwing resources at each other until you achieve victory. By having nukes, it not only promotes just utter base targeting, it is a retarded solution to this problem. There are PLENTY better ideas out there to help with the "sieges" which aren't even really a problem. Some of the best moments in Empires are from sieges.

You want to add in a whole new model, scripts, weaponry etc but coding it to strike where a mark is would be difficult? The whole thing would be a pain in the ass to make. As for switching out rounds, I think it would be fun. Ever played Verdun? Having to fight with a gas mask on through the poison gas to prevent the enemy from rushing you or rushing the enemy? Fun as hell.

Again, this SAME result can be achieved by a turret farm. This building would be weak, big and targeted easily by tanks making it die quickly and a complete waste of Res. Plus, it is basically being worked on already as a mobile Tank Destroyer to help teams hold out.

Also, you say you want to end the sieges quicker, yet you suggest this building which you want to make sieges take longer, choose which one.

[/QUOTE]
    Great, don't make Empires another standard COD or FPS, it is unique. It has maintained a very steady player population throughout the years and has supassed many games that HAD actually paid devs working on it. Let's keep it the way it is and focus on the main vision that the devs set out to make when they first started coding many years ago.

10. Avatarix

Basically, everything needed to say was said by Trump.
    As many 'great ideas' you have in your head, you need to find a way to put them in Empires. And if you want to make some 'epic overhauls' make your own scripts, as Lightining is trying to make. Maybe then you will actually contribute to the game.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

aww why does it say concepts when its just random suggestions. oh the disappointment when i figured there's no concept art ...

12. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

sorry about that - but aren't so good at it - at least i have dl a tool for simple concep arts xD
    (conceptioning in my mind and code!)