[Suggestion] Vehicle auto-targeting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Awpolt, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Folks,

I suggest that vehicles/entities that are destroyed be exempt from the vehicle auto-targeting mechanism. Since such targets are no longer threats, they should not be taken into consideration for targeting.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I will be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Are we playing a different game?

BlackRedDead likes this.
  3. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

When in a vehicle, your crosshair is aided by an auto-targeting mechanic so that you have a better chance of hitting your target. I remember this being added years ago because it was rather difficult to hit your target. My suggestion is that this should not be happening if the entity is destroyed.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Hum, no it's not. I guess we really aren't playing the same game.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think he means that thing where the crosshair turns red or green depending on if it's enemy or friendly you are looking at. It's certainly something I never use, or at least forget about it unless I waiting for something to happen.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

uh... I'm pretty sure that's basic source and doesn't have anything to do with targeting assistance. or anything to do with dead tanks.
    Not to mention that even if something like that exists it wouldn't help you with hitting enemy tank, at all.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  7. Neoony

Neoony Member

The direction of where you shoot in tanks is affected by where you aim your crosshair
    So the direction of whatever you are shooting is different if you aim at something close or something far away.

You can remember when this was accidentally turned off in update and things were not hitting where you aim at all. Rockets were going straight, not to the point you aimed at.

I think thats what he means.

But it isnt auto targeting, its just adjusting direction to the range you shooting at. Best seen with missiles.

[​IMG]

I think what he means is that, when you are hiding behind a destroyed tank it will often start shooting at the dead tank, because the crosshair thinks thats what you are aiming at, while it looks like you could shoot over it.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  8. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

When you aim near an entity, you'll notice that your crosshair automatically "stickies" itself onto the target. Years ago it was nearly impossible to hit something without manually precisely aiming, so this feature was added, to help you better hit your target. You know, sort of how it is in console games.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

[​IMG]

But, Iam pretty sure there are situations especially visible with missiles, where you could actually shoot in certain point u wanted (over something or close to something), if it just didnt affect the direction of it, which creates some gaps. Nothing too horrible though and its probably worth the help its giving.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Okay maybe you're onto something, can't say I've ever noticed it. But why would it be removed? dead tanks still block your projectiles.

11. Lazybum

I really can't say I ever notice that. I've seen the effect in console games and I never see it empires. Checking the console I do see autoaim commands though, I don't think it does much though by default though. It's a server option too it seems, if nubs doesn't have it enabled it doesn't do anything looking at comments about the commands.

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

remember this "bug"? ( ehm...feature :D )

https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/ml-fires-way-left-2-7-0.20068/

The direction adjusting was off for a while with 2.7.0 version.

13. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

It's definitely there, and it was added because back in the day it was very difficult to hit a target.

It does seem that the following vars are active, as Lazybum mentioned:

autoaim_max_deflect (default: 0.99)
    autoaim_max_dist (default: 2160)

My argument is that your crosshair should not "sticky" itself onto dead targets, especially if there are nearby active targets. It's happened to me before where I've tried aiming for active targets yet a dead target was in my way, thus aiming for that instead. It's a quality of life improvement.

Neoony likes this.
  14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

The way I understand it, it's not stickying onto the target, it's just showing you that when aiming that way you will hit the dead tank.

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

[​IMG]

Look at the missiles.
    There is only about 1 pixel difference where Iam aiming. One of the 2 pictures hits the wall btw.

This creates situations where there are gaps.

One way could be that you could simply manually turn it off when you need it and things would simply fly straight. (turn assist off)
    Because this is not only with dead tanks, its all the environment.

Then you could have crosshair on the wall and missile would still not hit it and you could use your weapon placement which is not in the middle to your advantage.

16. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't even know why we'd have that in the first place.

17. Neoony

Neoony Member

If it was off.
    [​IMG]

And this is how its now. Turned on.
    [​IMG]

18. Lazybum

That's not related to the source auto aim stuff. I just tried testing it and setting everything off or 0 had no effect on that.

I guess it's something custom with empires?

19. Neoony

Neoony Member

This can often be a little issue with nukes, btw xD

Thats probably where you could mostly use it, if you could turn it off.

You would have to manually compensate for the impact though, missiles would never hit middle of your crosshair.

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    (Screen from 2.7.0 when it was off)

20. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I think the cross hair is produced from a ray trace directly from the tank barrel. It is just positioned over the point the ray trace hits.

Unlike infantry(who shoot from the centre of your screen). Tank weapons actually shoot from real world positions, so not all will hit the same location.

Hence all weapons on the tank "point" at the cross hairs, because it makes tank aiming easier(or seem similar to infantry, all guns shoot at the cross hair).

I hope that explains the cross hair behaviour.
    (If I've got this wrong, some other dev come and correct me please :))

21. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

he is clearly talking about aim assistance - that is a feature that "moves" your aim if you are pointing near enough a potential target - that is meant to compensate the inaccuracy with joysticks compared to mouse ;-)
    but i didn't know that this exist at source games O.o (and who the damn fish plays source games with joystick/controller???)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  22. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

The source engine does support aim assistance, as far as I know we don't use it explicitly and we don't support it at this moment.

23. Neoony

Neoony Member

thats not what this is