[suggestion] Squad Lead features

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BlackRedDead, Aug 28, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

Feature Request:
    1. context sensitive "spot feature"
      - "spot" enemys as normal player
      - gives "attack", "move", "guard" orders as squad leader
    2. "you got promoted to lead the squad" sound message when promoted squadlead
    3. checkbox option to deny squadlead promotion
      - as a simple checkbox at the squad window
      - option to set the default (deny or open) at "options" (just set the default selection for every new round/map, means it can be changed manually within the round)
    4. allow normal squad members to make "order suggestions"
      - just like squadleader but via the f/s/? menu
      - squadleader has to accept them to apply them as squad order! (or can deny them)
      - only 1 suggestion at a time
      - only squadleader can see it (the person who gives it out just get a sound that the suggestion is send)
      - if squadleader doesn't react in 30s it gets auto removed/denied
    5. (minimap orders)
      - simple right click menu to give orders on the map
      - i know that is a shitload of work to realize!!!
    look at "old topic"
    Because leading a squad with "f" "w"/"s" can be very difficult in the heat of battle, i want to suggest binding "enemy spottet" with the "attack order" together and add a custom "move order" keybind

another thing is the inability to use the minimap for commands, could be great if we get a right click menu for different orders over greater distances :)

@Neoony brought me to the Wiki Page, wich we just updated

Update:
    Another thing is the missing sound when you got promoted to lead - we really need one! :)

because you barrely notice it in the heat of battle

some ppl want to NEVER get the squadlead
    (i got kicked for getting squadlead and not using voice chat at random game - so at random games it would be nice to prevent such situations!)

this can help in giving squadorders from another location than where the squadleader is

just the ability for commander and squadleader to plan strategys (only they can see) and giving orders (the respective player/squad can see)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Avatarix

You do have bindable buttons for squad skill 1 and 2, and I guess you can custom bind orders in the infantry.cfg if you need these orders at buttons.

3. Neoony

Neoony Member

I think that was also added into controls in main menu some versions back.
    If you want the easier way to set them or quickly edit them.
    *checks ingame*

Yes, its there. Spot, attack, squad skill left, squad skill right.

Just go to controls in main menu (not in options), and its on the page that pops up.

4. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

yea but no move order and attack can't be binded with spot together

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

well, that needs to be done over commands...probably best to put it in a file somewhere like that infantry.cfg but I would prefer to put it in autoexec (you probably also want it to be working for tanks)

I can give you command to bind spot and attack on one key, but I have never tried that.
    In fact I think its explained in the wiki https://wiki.empiresmod.com/Tips scroll down to advanced tips.
    (hmm I think the numbers are outdated on wiki, or sometimes even other numbers work for same thing that are not listed)

Example:
    Code:
    bind x "emp_menu_quickcmd 3 1"
    To bind a key to issue a move command.

To bind multiple things to one key:
    Code:
    bind x "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 3"
    You will use ";" to add another command and keep the quotes just how they are.
    This will bind both spot and attack command to that key (x).

*goes testing*
    After testing it myself, it will do a target if you are a squad leader and it will spot people if you are not.

Best to put those commands in "empiresmod\empires\cfg\autoexec.cfg"
    If autoexec.cfg dont exist, create it. Make sure its extenstion is .cfg and not .txt

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    BlackRedDead and Avatarix like this.
  6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It can't give both target and spot because of the global f-menu delay.
    Also you should use emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4 for attacks, not sure how "grenade attack" works on everything.

After some testing, it's only giving targets for me no matter if you're squad leader or not. How did you test yours?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yeah, global delay for voice commands make it impossible to do 2 at same time.

Dont look at wiki for the exact numbers, they are wrong.
    Use it only as an example on how to use the command.

Grenade attack (anti emplacement / anti tank support) is a different number.

Updated list: (changes are in red)

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

ok, I retested that and it doesnt do that anymore :o

I started a game, went to the enemy cv and tryed the bind on the enemy cv while in squad and while not in one.
    I swear it worked, lol
    But it doesnt now :o

But then even unsuccesful target will create the delay, which makes this useless again. (and I have no idea why it worked for me before then)

The only way then is to do a "wait 500" in the middle of the 2, but then there is a terrible delay for the second thing and if you just point at enemy it will do the first thing and then later the second.
    But even with wait command, it seemes inconsistent...meaning sometimes it will not do the second one.

//second time I crashed on opening f menu, wtf

9. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

@Neoony:
    well, your hint with the "wait" brought me to an evil script for "rapid fire" BE heavy's - while i actually already do that per hand a script that delay the shots perfectly would be great xD

what about to update the wiki with your corrections?

10. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

meh, tryed to put "guard this unit", "enemy spottet", "attack" and "move" orders together at one key - the idea is to have 1 key as squadleader that gives the 3 most used commands out dependng on what you are pointing!
    Code:
    bind "q" "emp_menu_quickcmd 1 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4;emp_menu_quickcmd 3 0"
    but the commands itself doesn't work, have tested them seperately via autoexec.cfg more than once because 1-4 seem to not get overwriten by it, also checked the autoexec itself but there wasn't the issue!

not even 2 days ago at least the attack order just worked fine!
    so what happend???

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

As you could see even I had situation where something worked and then simply didnt xD
    So I also wonder wtf is going on there xD

But to explain.
    Any order will create a delay, successful or not. For example, if you do "attack this unit" while aiming at the ground (which will do nothing visibly), it will still create second or 2 delay. Which makes any other commands used at the same time completely useless.

Try spotting the ground (which will do nothing visible) and then quickly spot some actual enemy, you will see it still creates a delay where you cant use any voice command, even if you just used spot on the ground.

And the last command you add seems to have priority to get executed. Probably because its the last one executed in the tick.

Isnt 3 0 nothing?
    Others you used should work by themselves :o
    You sure you have been a squad leader?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

i know - but believe me i had taken that into consideration at testing - and the spotting just worked fine! - so delay isn't the issue with the fact that they order binds aren't working :-(
    (that could be ofc an issue why they can't be combined :-/ - and befor you ask, yes i have commented out unused keybinds befor!)
    Code:
    //"emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0" "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4"
    //first is the spotting feature, second the attack order by squadlead
    //bind "q" "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4"
    //bind "q" "emp_menu_quickcmd 1 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0;emp_menu_quickcmd 2 4;emp_menu_quickcmd 3 0"
    have deleted the single command binds already
    yep - squadlead also always proven, because you can't be in a squad as com that was always the same procedur! - driving with CV to the enemy, press "P" to get in a squad - test keybinds one after another with delay in consideration

3 0 is the move order:
    https://wiki.empiresmod.com/Tips
    3 PLAYER_SPECIFIC_GROUND (if something neutral is under your crosshairs)
    0 "Move to this location"

but you haven't updated it... damned dude! -.-#
    well, that doesn't change the fact that attack (2 4) clearly stoped working even as a single keybind!
    the commands from the commorose actually working fine - just some are missing voice (repair and reammo)

13. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

kay - redone my testing - the issue is that the key's from 1-0 didn't get overwriten by the autoexec.cfg - wich is strange because all other keys did!
    will use a write protected config.cfg now in hope that frees the numeric keys xP
    and delete them from emp_config.cfg and protect that file too - just in case!
    (why the hell there are there even 2 files for the keybinds???)

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

I deleted that 3 0, because it wasnt working for me D:

But then, maybe some of those I tryed do something, but I just wasnt pointing at the right thing, or being in the right situation.

Maybe try using 2 3 for attack?

Maybe there is some difference in those commands that are there multiple times and we just dont know whats different about them.

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

Also I tend to do "unbind x" command first in autoexec before eny of such binds, so it gets cleared out and be sure.

It is indeed a bit messy and strange with keybinds and how binds get saved in empires.

EDIT:
    Also, Iam not sure if you know, but you can also test those commands just in console ingame.
    autoexec.cfg is there, just for the persistence reasons, after you restart the game.

Maybe you know this, I just wanna make sure you dont waste too much time restarting the game and editing the file :D

So you can test on the fly, ingame in console.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  16. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

i actually update the wiki and just test them all! xP

17. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

ehm - need you as guinea pig for the 6^^

18. Neoony

Neoony Member

Also toggling might be useful for you to learn about.

Example:
    Code:
    alias "xattack" "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 3; bind "i" xspot"
    alias "xspot" "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0; bind "i" xattack"
    bind "i" "xattack"
    Each time you press I it will spot and then bind the key to attack and then cycle between the 2 each time you press it.

In another way:
    Code:
    alias cycler "x1"
    alias x1 "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 3; alias cycler x2"
    alias x2 "emp_menu_quickcmd 2 0; alias cycler x1"
    bind "o" cycler
    This is probably best put into autoexec.cfg

You could most probably also have one key switching the other in its states of what it would do.
    So you could have multiple layouts and switch them with one key or similar things.

19. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

yea, just looked into this and wanted to ask if someone knows where the commands we call are stored?^^

because the aliases only "switch" between them but doesn't check on what you are actually aiming ;-)
    the commands do that, if you aim enemy or neutral the guard order is not given! - so just creating a new one that combines them seems to be much easyer!

damned, i'm so stupid, they actually work with a given check! xD
    pointing friendly is 1, enemy 2 and neutral 3
    so in theory i have to let the aliases check wich is the case and give then the coresponding callout...
    and now i only need to understand how those aliases work xP

Help resource:
    Bind
    Console Command List
    Aliases
    SourceScript Editor

20. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

Updated Topic:
    - sound suggestion "promoted to lead"
    - deny squadlead checkbox