sudden death on commander maps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Apr 21, 2013.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

when both tickets go zero-zero teams should be able to spawn again but in simultaneous waves

that brings the game into a super climax where both teams are actively going at it and that restores empires endgame dynamism where both teams are trying to hail mary in those 5 minutes

currently it's like oh whoops nobody can spawn well let's all go to spec gg

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Actually, I think you're fairly mistaken as to how it'll play out. Having people spawn would just prolong the game. It's a 5 minute wait which not only teaches new players how to use squads if they want a revive, but builds to insane tension before a commander blows up. You take every last asset you have on the field and use it for that window at the end of the 5 minutes.

That's far more of a climax than just having people spawn in waves.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

"using squads" is a high level nonsense part of the game that isn't actually fun. it "makes sense" after playing for a while but it's like the opposite of what humans consider entertaining.

taking every last asset you have on the field is actually the opposite of what happens. in real reality people and their teams kind of cower and sit back and play the stupid revive micromanage game.

if people are spawning actively and there is no limit to how many times they can spawn while in sudden death, you bet a hell of a lot more action is going to happen. by no longer being restricted by the tickets, the game will typically end at that five minute mark.

you have some 10-20 people spawning in waves with no restrictions, there's no way the comm is going to survive after the timer runs.

games last longer when the game turns into trench warfare with a harshly drawn no-man's land between the two teams.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

having played games using wave spawns - it doesnt make it easier to overtake a position.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

if people could spawn normally after sudden death that would kinda remove the point. in this suggestion, when you have tickets, you can spawn freely, but when you hit sudden death, instead of having absolutely no reinforcements ie no spawning, you can spawn but at a lower rate, so we don't see players sinking into spectator between this AND the next round with the game population totally declining

after people play in games that get to sudden death, the population dies when the map changes. sudden death is exhausting with little reward for anybody besides giving spectators time to chat

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im not defending sudden death ...

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

i know i was just explaining the mechanics in case it wasn't clear. i do disagree with removing tickets though since that would kinda make games last forever however i don't think there should be a point where there's absolutely no new spawning.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

What if, instead of stopping spawning at 0 tickets, we allowed tickets to go into the negatives, then applied penalties to whichever team has the lower ticket number based on how far below the enemy they get? That is, everyone on the team and all vehicles and structures start to take more damage, engineer calculator regeneration slows down, resource recovery is penalized, perhaps slightly longer respawn timers, your comm moves more slowly, etc. The effects could increase exponentially the bigger the difference between the two teams becomes, so even a small difference will rapidly result in one team getting curbstomped.

This keeps games from turning into a stalemate or running forever -- once you start to slip behind the enemy in negative tickets, it would lead to a self-reinforcing loop where you get slaughtered. You can still play and could try to turn things around, but the game will probably end quickly.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

This. This is something I kinda like.

On a fundamental level, I hate having to end a bit of gameplay in an abrupt fashion. This is probably the best way to keep tickets AND end game gently, at their own pace.

10. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

monopoly effect :pathetic:

I guess your suggestion sounds more fun then it is, once your team is facing the penalties they are pretty much doomed to a slow death, since everything they have is inferior to their suppressor, just like after the first 20 minutes of a 3 hour monopoly game. The only way out of that is late game stacking :headshot:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You could make the penalties pretty stiff. How about we double spawn times and vehicle & building costs for every negative ticket. The game doesn't end itself, but it comes pretty damn close. You're basically crippled the moment you run negative, but you can still execute risky game-winning maneuvers if you have enough teamwork.

12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Give CV DoT, disable repair of CV.
    Give team a ticket for every enemy kill. After 15 minutes of that, Nuke the whole map and kill everything! Honestly if I knew I couldn't win I would be plenty happy to go down taking the enemy with me.

I'm just saying that it would still be a satisfying end to a long ass, tense round to have a tie. I don't get why everyone demands that infantry or comm games have to be won. Literally drop arty strikes all over the map with nuke particles and call it a day. It'd be fun.