State Of The Mod

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Beerdude26, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I'm here to test netcode as much as you want.

I've got an idea how to standardize that, btw.

Also, if I get off my lazy butt, I may be able to help with coding by the end of the summer.

2. Chahk

Chahk Member

I have VS2005 Pro (from work via MSDN subscription). A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I used to do some coding in VB and then VB.NET/C#. Now I mostly do SQL Server back-end development and optimizations. Not familliar with Source SDK at all. Let me know if you can use me.

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Also have access to VS03 and VS05, as well as 2002 .NET (might as well mention everything i can think of)

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Sigh. This is the second time I will be posting this info in this thread:

VS2005 works. VS2008 works ONLY for retail builds (and only after you edit some code to comply with 2008's stricter compiler); instrumented debug builds WILL NOT COMPILE. VS2003 won't compile either. And there is no VS2007.

Debugging source code sucks. You shouldn't be using asserts to signify BAD INPUT, asserts are for bad logic.

5. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

The orange-box SDK is compiling ok for me in VS2008 for both debug and
    release targets.
    Installed latest windows sdk and DX SDK, and followed the tweaks from here:
    http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=deletepost&id=744728&s=0&b=4991
    (yes I know it says it's for VS2005, but it works for VS2008)

and the compiler crash workaround from here(seems to be only needed for the release build):
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Compiling_under_VS2008:
    Open c_vguiscreen.cpp and find this line
    dist = c_x / tan( M_PI * scaled_fov / 360.0 );
    Now replace that line with these:
    float dist_denom = tan( M_PI * scaled_fov / 360.0f ); dist = c_x /
    dist_denom;

(I do have the VS2008 feature pack installed aswell - maybe that's needed)

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't want to switch VS versions before Valve does.

7. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

That makes perfect sense - I just wanted to point out it doesn't neccessarily preclude ppl from being able to help out

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

I wonder if MonoDevelop works for debugging as well

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Are you compiling emp code in VS2008? Last I checked, I didn't know you had Emp source access....and furthermore, run the compiler in a higher mode (level 4 is best for good coding practices), and it will not compile.

I'm going with Mootant on this one - no point in moving until Valve does, no telling what surprises would be in store.

And the code fix you posted only fixes retail mode, and the first link is dead.

10. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

Like I said The orange-box SDK is compiling for me...

Sure, if I wanted to break it, as opposed to get it working
    Using a more restrictive set for 3rd party code, is only useful if you actually intend to fix their (valve's) bugs. And going down that route, might cause problems for syncing up with future SDK releases.

Yep, fine, code changes could be submitted from ppl running vs2008,
    doesn't mean that official-builds/RCs, e.t.c. would need to be done in vs2008.

Both links are working from here(and it's not cookie related as I don't have an account on that forum), I dunno why it wouldn't be working. - I can send you on the details is you're really interested.

I'm not out to start a flamewar or step on toes - I'm just interested in helping out, and sounds like lots of other ppl here would also like to, given the opportunity. The ball is in your guy's court whether you want to make use of that.
    I'll just go back to lurking now :p

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Razorbud: There's VC++ 2005 express available for free. It should work perfectly with Orange Box SDK.

At the moment I and Reef are working on finishing port to OB SDK and balancing, RampantDroid might work on stats. It would be nice to have someone who can prepare strings in the code for localization. I need a specific person that wants to do that and who will finish it.

12. Reef

Reef Member

We might be forced to sweep the whole code and I would like to make the scaling and the localizations in a single sweep through code. It requires intelectual work, but it's faster than two sweeps.
    Nevertheless, none of the (localization, scaling) is a priority on the current milestones, so it's delayed.

13. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

Throws up hand and volunteers

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Another status report:

Doggeti has joined the team to work on 2d graphics, He'll be making some concepts for a new vgui and comm interface and will be making the graphics for a new hud concept that was made by Duke. Welcome onboard Doggeti :)

Megel responded positively about the new branch of Empiresmod, and will continue to help with the artistic direction of the mod and the design focused on gameplay and balance, glad he's still with us, so another Hurray for Megel :D

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Pragma the emp code to run in lvl 4, or pragma the valve code to run in a lower level - is an easy solution.

I think you misread me. I'm saying we should stay away from VS2008 until Valve officially supports it (if ever) - as much as I would prefer to us 2008 as it is a better compiler and all, it just isn't viable.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm very glad to hear that. The unique gameplay of empires and the wonders made by megel were the two things that brought me to this mod.

17. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I have a long list of features and sugestions for a new Com interface. See if he can do the art for HUD first before moving on to the com.

18. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

quoted for awesomeness. I'm thinking the old Enemy Territory campaigns.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

OK, @ Razorbud:

The first link is alive again.

I don't like how they pragma errors out, but I think that error C4996 may be about the only error that you can pragma out and still be worthy of using a computer. I THINK. I'd need to ask around at work. Regarding Pragmas in general, you should never, EVER use pragmas to make errors go away. Pragmas are what lead to massive bugs. If you want to pragma to a lower compiler warning level, its OK. Prama to a HIGHER compiler level is good.

Regarding the force:multiple, I hesitated on that, checked MSDN and found something that confirmed my fears:

Hence we stick with VS2005.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I was porting VS2k3 solution to VS2k5 and ended up using "/force". This option breaks important VS features:
    1. Incremental linking doesn't work. That means fucking long compile times.
    2. Debug and Continue doesn't work either.

It's clear that you have to use VS2005 before Valve moves to newer VS version so I'm closing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.