State Of The Mod

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Beerdude26, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

In terms of languages: couldn't the installer ask you which language you want installed, and then it installs the translated files specific to that language? By this I mean that within the installer itself it would have an Empires installation, minus any file that would be localized. Up a level, in the structure would be the Language folder, which would contain sub folders named per localization, and within those would be the Empires directory structure, except only contain localized files. The installer would extract the content of the language folder, into the specified Empires installation directory (.../steamapps/sourcemods/), based on the language specified in the installer.

I have seen this method used in other games, I'm sure it is possible, and to be honest, it sounds easier. This would cause an increase in installer file size though, so an alternative is language packs on the download page that overwrites the default English localizations with the downloaded localization.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I would like to remind everyone that the current goal of this thread is to find people who are interested in working on aircraft. Afterwards, we will discuss any possibilities with the current dev team and see how we can also aid them in any way. This discussion about language files is best kept for another thread.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I don't think you realise how much work it is to get aircraft into the game.

4. Melee

Melee Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Theres a difference between coding a total conversion (Empires) and making a mod like pilotable strider and building off of shitloads of pre-existing stuff (essentially code tweaking). He may be able to help, but in reality, that would pale in comparison to what goes into Empires coding.

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Hi Krenzo - are you still going to be heading stuff up? Or are dizzy/beerdude taking over?

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Killx, your messages are full of uninformed assumptions. Steam already has all support for language files. The installer has nothing to do with it. You set what language you want to use in Steam, and if the language files are preset which is what I put forth that needs to be done, then they are used.

Pilotable strider is completely different from Empires' aircraft. I coded all of the flight physics for aircraft already, and all of their scripts work just like vehicles. The thing aircraft need is to have the rest of the scale down code finished.

I'm around to provide input, but I'm not coding anything for Empires.

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Are you willing to set people up with the necessary tools so they can run Empires dev? Like update the main page, forum admin, etc.

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I have megel's old Raven on my HD somewhere I belive... Texture work would be no problem for me; though I don't think I could match megel's modeling any time soon...

At the very least I can work on the vgui elements...

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Krenzo is talking about changes needed to be done in Source SDK to allow 4/8/16x map scaling. Only the player movement code have been updated.

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You need more than that to dev - you also need a copy of VS2005 to run retail and debug builds; VS2008 can do a retail build, but Valve's code isn't up to spec with the compiler, and some changes need to be made for it to compile. Debug mode in 2008 isn't possible until Valve fixes their shitty code.

I'd also note that VS2005 isn't for sale anymore unless you have an MSDN membership...and VS2008 is around 1000 USD+ for the retail professional version. I'm unsure if the express versions of VS are able to handle Source SDK code, and furthermore, where to get a VS Express version with the old VS2005 compiler.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Coffeeburrito, I think something we might want to pursue is trying to tie the league more into Empiresmod, you could help a lot with that in cooperation with one of the coders (rampantandroid?). Lots of possibilities here.
    Maybe global stats could be done by the league for instance, or it could be a individual player ladder, or some kind of territory game, that you automaticly play with every round of empires on any server.

Its just a thought, but I think you could help with that a lot.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  13. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Good luck Krenzo, After being on this testing team since the first alpha builds, I'm pretty sad to see you leave this team as the coder. I wish you luck though, and any game you make will defenatly be fun.

EDIT: I have 4+ years of experaince with C++ and have a legit copy of MS VS 2003 (It can build the SDK fine). If you need coding support, I can help out. I dont have alot of time to dedicate, but, I'll be more than happy to help out.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

RampantDroid: Microsoft and Valve advertised MSVC++ 2005 Express as platform for developing games with Source SDK. You have to download Windows SDK and DirectX SDK if you want to make shaders. Small problem with Express version is that it doesn't support plugins. But you can live without plugins and use TortoiseSVN.

And well their hacks around standard library aren't something that only Valve does. Almost every gaming company uses their own version of 'standard' library.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I can confirm that VS 2005 Express supports the code, i've used it to make some test mods, aside from small issues it worked perfectly.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

You know me. You can read my signature.

Give me something to test and I'll test it and report back which needs fixing (as long as I have time to test it).

By the way Krenzo, what MVP means again? :p I have already forgotten. :D

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I have access to a legit copy of VS2008 pro (MSDN), is there someone here who needs it?

18. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

VS 2008 cant build the source engine I believe. You need either 2003 or 2005 (I THINK 2007 can build source, but I highly doubt it.

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

The orange box wont compile with 2003, and 2008 takes some fucking around to get it to work.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The only one that seems to be good for it is VS 2005 then, either version if you don't count the small bugs with express.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.