State of Decay

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BitterJesus, Apr 17, 2014.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

So, this game is gud.

GTA + Oblivion + Resident Evil = SoD

Very nice atmosphere in the game exploits basic human fears well:
    Fear of being cornered
    Fear of the dark
    Fear of overwhelming number of enemies
    Fear of being lost

Story time:

Took a car out from home (cars don't respawn btw, once a car is destroyed it's forever gone from the game world, likewise with supplies) and went out on a mission to help gather a required material. Took a companion with me from home.

On the way there saw a bunch of hordes and ran them over (this damages the car). I was driving in the field and facing backwards and suddenly there was a ramp in front of me which I didn't see. The car topples over. Suddenly I'm in the middle of nowhere. No painkillers (HP buffs) or Snacks (stamina Buffs) just a revolver with 6 ammo, and a rusty pipe for melee. Companion has some shit gun.

Suddenly an horde emerges behind a hay stack. We run but they keep chasing. Companion gets caught. I try to rescue him.... Some big fucker zombie knocks me like 15 meters out. Companion #rekt. I'm alone half health no stamina. In front of me I spot a Truck. I make a "dash" for it (when tired can't sprint)...

As I'm running there, I'm semi dodging the zombie lunges and finally as the zombies almost swarm me I get inside the car. They are now crawling all over the car. The big zombie is running at me and the car is taking forever to start. Finally I start to move, but the zombies are resilient... And slowly they drop off one by one only for one to remain to pull me out of the driver's seat. As I'm thrown out, I kill him, and I see the rest of them still chasing me from behind. I get inside the half broken truck and managed to get to the church (starting homebase).

GG :D

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Stories like this one make survival games straight up awesome. The best thing I've had recently was running around in DayZ starving and looking for a can opener for the 10~ cans of food on me.

But when crazy shit happens, it's just the best.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

One day, DayZ will be developed to the point where it's actually half a game at least.

One day.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It has payday masks in it. Worth every penny.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Dwarf fortress will get an update that fixes med care and military sooner than that.
    Even empires will get aircraft sooner.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Only game that really game me spooks and made me genuinely panic was the STALKER series. Game oozed atmosphere and was absolutely terrifying to be running somewhere in the middle of the night only for a bloodsucker to appear and 20 seconds into that fight a blowout happens. Dear god blowouts are beautiful.

This game does sound kinda neat though. I do have a bit of ehh feeling in regards to zombie survival stuff, but if the mechanics are well done and the core game is fun I'm willing to overlook boring zombies again.

On another note, why is it always zombies? Seriously, why can't someone do a game like this but instead of zombies you have all kinds of demons and monstrosities from hell? Would be cool. Also wouldn't be totally obvious on how you deal with enemies, so every encounter would be exciting and terrifying at the same time. Unlike now, where you aim for head, always aim for head and win.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  7. Z100000M

I played through stalkers but i didnt really find them scary or really atmospeheric in any way.
    Sure, some sporadic tense moments, but they had more to do with the game being a dick and through a pack of 20 dogs/a bullet sponge indoors/buffing a creature several times over in CoP/ that you have to spend 20 minutes fighting.
    Not much climate to be had past the numerous glitches and eye-gouging night vision. Then again, im one of the dudes who wont flinch at all by all those "horror games".

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh I don't get fazed by horror stuff either, I don't know stalker just hit all the right notes for me. I mean you could mod it so it looks much better and possibly runs a tad better. Oh, I should mention that atmosphere I mentioned is more about the whole running around looking for artifacts, fighting mutants, avoiding dangers, living in the zone kinda thing. Not quite horror atmosphere, though there was a few special moments that did work well.

Oh, you did play the game on the highest difficulty setting, right? Game ends up working much better like that, what with you dieing in a couple of hits but enemies do too. Not to mention bullet ballistics actually work in this game, so firing 9mm at body armor doesn't really work. Aim at the head, always.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  9. Z100000M

See, thats what pissed me off so much about those games.
    You could empty like 3 mags into someones chest and he would be fine, but graze the cheek and the ancient curse kills him instantly. I mean, this is fine with the likes of exosuits where its pretty obvious you wont do much shooting at the thick ass plates, but that happens to every enemy thats not a armorless bandit. It makes it so that the combat devolves into headshot fishing. Conserving ammo isnt even a problem since you can instakill all those guys. For me, it makes for a very unsatisfying combat system.