Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Z100000M, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Honestly it looks like Uncharted: Star Wars. Jump everywhere all the time.
    Nades and instakil weps on cooldowns?

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Prolly should make another thread for it but yeah, I've been playing it for like 4 hours today. Some of it is surprisingly enjoyable. Cooldowns are actually pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the charge system for some skills which are persistent across your games. You either have to spend the points you're earning ingame to recharge or scavenge them across the map. I'm not really ok with how that plays out because it makes me reluctant to use them at all.

I've not played as Vader or Skywalker yet, nor have I played as the small walker, but I've been in just about every other vehicle and they're relatively fun actually. Hoth is pretty unbalanced though, I played 10+ rounds of it and didn't once see one of the big walkers actually get destroyed, meaning Imperial forces won every single game. The drop pod mode was relatively fun and fast paced and the weapons felt pretty nice to use. Third person is definitely better with the weapon style that first person, but when you have a cool-down based sniper rifle and you shoot someone from cover (with your scope/crosshair over them) only to have the round just hit the rock you're hiding behind because of the way the camera works, that's really fucking infuriating.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Its a battlefield mod not a battlefront game at all.
    They should just rip battlefront off the title and everyone will most likely be happy.
    The game has terrible spawns and infinite grenades.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It looks nice, gets all the sounds and effects right, yet something feels wrong that makes me not enjoy it that much. Maybe I have to unlock more toys?

5. Metruption

Metruption Member

Trickster for future reference the "small walkers" are called AT-STs and the "big walkers" are called AT-ATs.

I expect EA to make a pretty fun game that will have lots of mass appeal but at the end of the day it won't really resemble a Star Wars Battlefront game. Grenade/Sniper on a cooldown reminds me of MOBAs. I wonder if that'll become a new common theme in games. Instead of giving you multiple resources to manage for you weapon (ammo, reload time) they give you one resource to manage (cooldown). I think that they'll need to really nail their map design because if I never run out of ammo and I can be a camping asshole you better bet your ass I'm going to set up my tent.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I kind of knew the big walkers but not the small ones so thanks. I really think the cooldown thing is a nice change, and I especially like the fact they made what is essentially the sniper rifle part of that.

Honestly I expected it to be very battlefield, a bit too realistic and fairly clunky movement. In truth, it's fairly arcadey and that's exactly what I wanted. The only real gripe I have is that finding "pickups" to actually give you a vehicle is kind of lame, I'd prefer there was a better system in place for that.

Also thanks (Mcgyver?) for splitting the thread, I just couldn't be bothered at all.

Either way, it's an open beta right now for another 3-4 days so everyone should give it a shot. I noticed there a lot more game modes to come so I'd be interested to see how they play out. I kind of want to buy this but I have a very weird problem with these types of games. I need to know it's achievable for me to unlock absolutely everything in the long run. With Battlefield 3 this felt possible, until Premium and each DLC appeared. Every DLC brought more weapons with increasingly complex requirements to unlock things (Kill X amount of people through a wall on map Y) etc. If they do the same with Battlefront I just can't deal with that. It's the kind of game where I need to be working towards something, but that something needs to be something I can reach given a reasonable amount of time (50-100 hours, not 500-1000).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. BigTeef

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8[/YOUTUBE]

8. Metruption

Metruption Member

bitch, please. anyone who has played a real star wars battlefront game would know htat

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I didn't find it buggy, which is surprising since these days releases are usually bug filled messes. Balance needs to be ironed out, and I don't know if it's an issue on my end but using aircraft with mouse is like sliding a brick on the table, I take it it'd be easier if I plugged in my gamepad for when I switch to aircraft. The card system needs to be trialed a bit longer, I wouldn't say no to fully customizable presets but maybe there needs to be a form of preset regulation i.e. the class system from previous titles/battlefield. As much as infinite nades sounds crazy they are on a relatively lengthy cooldown as combat seems to happen quick enough that getting two off in a firefight is unlikely. Very enjoyable but I would never drop $80 on it.

idk if any americans can verify that price anywhere else or if it's justCADthings

But battlefront has always been a battlefield in space. The spawn points are shit though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. BigTeef

That is a troll post disguised as a strawman if I have ever seen one.

[​IMG]

Battlefront had an optional 1st person mode, the game was meant to be played 3rd person.

Did not have regenerative health, you had to kill people or seek droids for healing. Did not have infinite grenades, did not have call of dootie esq power ups, did not have instant kill bullshit except strikes from sabers and on point rocket attacks. Had space combat and boarding, didn't shit all over the canon and in fact probably created a portion of it.

Battlefront was never a battlefield game, it never played anything like a battlefield game. The ones who keep making that comparison either forgot how the game worked or never played it. If I had to compare Battlefront to a battlefield game, it would be Battlefield Heroes that free to play dysfunction game they ran into the ground.

Because it was 3rd person and focused on a class system which this battlefield mod just fucking ripped out. This is a battlefield mod, this is not battlefront and it will never be battlefront.

Now for a battlefield game, this is their most stable beta since 3's. Its has some bugs, some game breaking like the fighters not being able to turn and being frozen solid and your wasd keys don't work. Only space bar and melee. The guns can't make up their mind of being accurate or not. All of the weapons Ive used, that rebel rifle is probably the best one to use in all situations. Slightly less damage than the carbine but has more range and fires faster, which is better in cqc. The jump pack is fun, really fun. The hero force powers are very stubborn some times, lukes push only works sometimes. Vaders choke is very touch sensitive. Their hp drain bugs the crap out of me, seeing as spawns are instant and its very easy to focus fire a hero. Especially when the blaster reflect barely works like it should.

Performance wise, it runs good, looks good. This may be thier best battlefield game. Has more purpose than hardline, it's less retarded.
    If they make the Tantive IV a map and recreate the metal as fuck hallway battle.
    https://youtu.be/yHfLyMAHrQE?t=3m29s

I will be happy.

However I perfer episodes 1 hallway battle over episode 4.
    https://youtu.be/qiIn2QM2sAs?t=4m49s

Oh by the way im going to shill Galactic battlegrounds while we are on the topic of starwars.
    http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_galactic_battlegrounds_saga
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wkrd594k4k[/YOUTUBE]

Its a fucking awesome aoe 2 clone. You can play as the fucking trade federation droids before the confederacy and naboo gets their own faction. OOM-9 for life. Full supported voice acting from the original cast, 8 campaigns, fucking Liam Neeson guides you through the tutorial and lead the wookie uprising on kashyyyk. James Earl Jones is the only one that does not reprise his role in the game.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

While most of the rant is solid, in BF2 you unlocked powerups by garnering enough points obtained by killing enemies (mostly) and doing objectives (a bit), which is basically what CoD does.

12. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Rant irrelevant. There's no gap in the market for an arcade shooter right now and the only good thing about Star Wars was the soundtrack.

13. BigTeef

It's not a rant, it was a dissection between the 2.
    I even posted a compare and contrast picture to prove how different the games are.

If it was a rant, ive would of gotten 2 infractions in my pm box by now for swearing at grant and calling him a fukboi.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Though the image provided is no longer 100% accurate...

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I played some of the beta, I found the game overly simplistic and boring.
    I don't think this game will live very long really.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I can't say to much about battle front, I played on ps2 and didn't like anything other then flying because shooting with a controller sucks. I would think most people would say it being first person too isn't a bad thing at all, that comment just sounds strange to me.

Operation metro was terrible, why would you think it would be better in battlefront?

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

a long lifespan doesnt guarantee that you can sell an overpriced successor anyway. and starwars sells, especially when theres new movies coming out ...

[​IMG]

18. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

But I thought lucas has nothing to do with star wars now?
    Shouldn't that gif be EA and Disney raping the stormtrooper instead?

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It should be a gif showing George Lucas selling Leia to a brothel.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

If you think metro is bad you should try operation locker in bf4. Slaughtered slatemates got nothing on that.