Star Citizen: Organization!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think you can only buy them now until release. I thought the banu merchant one was something you couldn't exactly get with ingame money, but it says on the page all of them could be gotten with ingame money. Some come with a 2 year insurance too, so that's nice.

2. Lazybum

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

350$ for a virtual ship.

oh boy..

actually cancel that.
    I just saw one of the packages, 15 thousand.
    Yup....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

As I understand it, it's expensive so we won't have 1000's of them flying around at game start. Right now you buy those packages to pledge money to support the game. Ships are only a bonus that comes with it.
    All of the ships that are being bought right now will lose a lot of value when the game goes live. I read somewhere that those constellation ships(200$+) will take around a week to get in game.

With that said, I did spend 180$ on a package but I justify it as pre-ordering a AAA singleplayer game + a huge mmo with no subscription fees and some virtual goodies. Not to mention beta access and such.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

literaly over $500 canadian

you guys are insane. gamers are worse than people who buy high fashion clothes

6. Lazybum

Really? I get wary of such statements, it's like hearing it only takes a week to hit level x on some game but what they don't say is it took 60 hours of nonstop grinding to get it.

You sure that isn't the insurance replacement time? I can believe that, it taking so much time to replace a giant ship, especially if you keep losing it. Which is a good thing I think.

Any case the 15000$ one gives you 2 of every ship currently in game and planned up to 2014, plus a few more they haven't talked about yet. Plus a bunch of other stuff. Like predator said though it's just a way of showing support for the game. Nothing stops someone from earning this stuff in game, it's what I intend to do.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, I'm the sort if player that will find the cheapest way into the game and will then just grind to some of these ships.

It sounds like it'd be pretty kickass to roll out with a small crew in a modestly large exploration ship. The carrick looks pretty nice.

If everything turns out to be polished, then this might turn into a better eve online. We'll see.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

i only bought these clothes to support the designer so that all designers keep making things like this
    theres no high level of entry into ridiculous expensive clothes, you just have to work more hours to buy them
    im beta testing these clothes before they get into forever21 so i understand the high price

*completely ignoring the whole point of this is for them to make a whole bunch of money being as its capitalism

i have never heard of people buying expensive clothes neglecting their children but i've heard plenty of stories regarding fat ass gamers living in squalor neglecting them

9. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Meanwhile, the like $45 ones are a steal, and the $70 ones spot on for price, and anything more is for style aND simply a bonus.

By the way, having those Carracks early on are going to be key to finding our hidden jump points first, and then the reclaimers can go to work on all the exclusive stuff :D

10. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

There is some contradicting information around. Read this post on their official forums. Personally, I think it's just some bs to calm the masses. Or maybe it takes a week just to get the ship with no equipment at all. Just the bare hull.

I think people are too concerned about ships though, I'd rather just bum on someone else's ship tbh.

11. ukgamer

ukgamer more like noob gamer

Finally I have my Reclaimer. Not spending any more money...

[​IMG]

12. Lazybum

I ain't gonna deny this, it is rather silly. A thought is that the bigger ships enable a different type of gameplay, so people are just buying a different game. Like instead of a 40$ shirt you buy a 200$ jacket. After typing that out it sounds rather dumb doesn't it?

Still, the whole thing is a niche market, you can't exactly go to some cheaper version, not without losing some content in some way.

Oh, so I was pretty much right. Still, if you only play for like 10-20 hours you get a ship in like a month, that really isn't too bad when you consider you only have to get it once and player skills matter much more in terms of balance then pushing some abstract number higher.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

i doubt you are buying a different game. buying a cheap ship means you cant go near others, its in fact reducing the game, not changing it. you can wear a t shirt out without a jacket, noone will give a damn

the fact is you dont see people throw out bs excuses like "im just supporting the devs" when it comes to fashion. they flat out say "i like the clothes" or "i like looking superior", something that gamers try to distance themselves from

its the same thing where nerds act like they're nothing like jocks when they are infact 100% the same except they cant catch a football

lets be more honest. you want to be cool and strong with your fake ship

14. BigTeef

Complete is for once not talking out of his ass.

Whatever happened to just buying the game?
    Why do people feel the need to put micro-transactions into a game?

They got 2 million dollars to make the game, why do they need to have a subscription service plus a in-game store?
    Why cant they go with Eves business model?
    Where the game is free but you need to earn your keep to play it, or pay a monthly fee to keep playing it.

I would get it if you got all this shit via backer rewards, but the kick start is done.
    Why do you need to buy anything else if you kick-started the game and spent over the normal asking price of a triple A title.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

As much as I love the idea of Star Citizen and want it to succeed, I have to agree, spending so much money isn't exactly smart. It is preordering of games at its worst and everyone should already know that you should not pre-order video games ever.

I highly doubt that you will get end-game multi-player ships with just a few weeks of playing the game. Every MMO I know of has a progression scheme that usually requires years to get to the absolutely best stuff. Sure, Star Citizen could make the weapons and equipment to be the decisive and expensive factor, but a ship is your avatar in game and nothing is more important to MMO players than their graphical representation. If everyone gets a Super Hornet after two weeks of playing, it would be considered basically worthless.

A game community that is willing to spend so much money on ingame items will also make it more difficult for buy-to-play people to enjoy the game. I have experienced that in Guild Wars 2, where the absolutely most retardest of my guild mates are running around with multiple legendaries and other bling bling stuff that takes a normal player years of playing and they just got it by spending hundreds of euros. That is pretty frustrating and destroys the immersion.

16. Lazybum

There is no subscription fee. You buy the base game which most likely comes with the cheap aurora and that's that. No monthly fee at all, if you lose the ship permanently you can still earn money ingame to get another ship. If you don't even like flying ships you can just pocket the cash and do other stuff, no one said you ever had to fly in this game. This is no worse than eve at all, possibly better in my opinion because you won't lose countless hours if you lose the ship. Insurance thing is pretty nice I feel.

Complete, you aren't wrong but you aren't quite right either. Would you prefer if no one could get the fancy ships and everyone had to start from nothing? Not everyone has the time to play for the fancy stuff, but some do have a decent job to bypass it so they can do what they want to do. Nothing wrong with that.

The ones that say they are supporting the devs, well they are, but you are right that wasn't the reason they did it, they did it for the cool ships. Most don't think like that, they just want to fly certain ships, like paying to go on certain amusement park rides.

17. BigTeef

Then why is there a subscribe button?
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge
    And has 10 and 20$ versions.

18. Lazybum

Read it a bit, that's for mostly extra journalistic stuff and some extra physical stuff. As in nothing from that can be used to your advantage in game. It's like getting a magazine subscription.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I actually prefer games with monthly subscriptions over microtransactions and sometimes even over "pay-once" games like Guild Wars. If the core product is already good, monthly subscriptions tend to ensure that it has consistent, quality development.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Now that I don't have to ask my parents for money every month, I fully agree with this.