Star Citizen: Organization!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Dec 30, 2014.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

It's only worth it if you want to get in early and pledge money.

That's the short answer. The long answer is get one of the small single seater ship packages, they will be cheaper now than at release, because the game will probably go for $70 or something. This way you get a ship with decent perks, beta, and the game when it comes out. So any ship you want under $100 is probably better to get now.

A good small all around goodie is the Aurora Legionaire (LN), get the Arena commander starter pack and upgrade to the LN.

The truth is, we need pilots for our bigger multicrew ships. Our Carracks, which will be needed to map out jump points or locate capital ships and so forth for our fleet. Or the Constallations for command and control during battle. So no one *needs* a ship, but the game isn't going to be reset at release only at some point during the Beta. So if you want to get in at "game start" you would need to buy before "Release"

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This one?

Holy shit this looks sexy as all hell. Is this on sale right now? If yes, how long is the sale gonna last?

3. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Yes.

Yes. A more complex answer to this question depends on if this is the first and only ship you are going to buy?
    • (Likely) YES, this is my first and only ship: then you need to buy the Aurora LN for $45, and then the Arena Commander Pass for $5 if you want to play right now.
    • (Unlikely) NO, I have bought others or already have the game: Buy the Aurora LN, all by itself for $35 (at the bottom of the page)

No idea, could end on Friday, could end on game release. The deal isn't going to get any better though, it will only get more expensive with time.

In other news:

NEW Arena Commander 1.0 Trailer

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'll hold off until I pass some more finals, my current score is 1-1 and if I fail anything else I'm afraid I won't have time for much until late February. Maybe another sale will roll along or something.

Getting hyped though.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Isn't it cheaper to get the Aurora LN package for 45$ and Arena commander pass for 5$? Saves 5 bucks. Unless I am missing something and there's something extra you get.

Also, is there a better ship for going fast? I just love flying fast ships in games if I can. But then again I like doing a lot of stuff so the aurora seems to be what I should get. Nothing saying I can't get 2 different ones though, assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

6. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

You are right, for some reason I missed the LN package when looking over them. I'll edit my post.

For speed, the fastest ship available as a package right now would be the Gladius, infact a just interviewed developer says it's his favorite ship so far. However, the Gladius is a fast fighter/intercepter, not necessarily meant for solo or long range exploration. It is listed as a "short range patrol/interceptor" ship.

However you could always go with the 315 or the Avenger, both of which will be comparably agile. These are more or less middle of the road though...

I would wait to see if the M50 interceptor goes on sale on Friday. If you were looking for ridiculous speed, well, just watch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3j2UWEORs

7. Lazybum

315p seems to be what I want, a decent all rounder. I really like the idea of not being stuck doing one specific thing. Though that m50 sure is nice looking, so fast. Probably expensive too. I guess I'll wait and see what comes up during the sale.

8. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

The m50 was going for $90 or so, so don't be surprised if it ends up being around the $100 range, which would be completely worth it.

Also, a guy was selling his m50 for that sale price not 18 hours ago on reddit. So always keep an eye out. Remember, you can always melt your ships for store credit to buy new sales, so it's never too late, but you can't get your money back if you wanted to buy one off reddit for cash.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen...erchantman_retaliator_gladiator_super_hornet/

When friday comes, keep an eye out for the m50, or the 350R (Racing). Either of those will be suited well for speed, and probably in your price range as well.

Here's another vid, just showing off full speed battles with the m50. If you are serious about liking speed, I can't imagine you having more fun than this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ccD49Ntt6Q

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

From what I've seen the M50 is indeed very nimble, especially in turn speed, but the weaponry is laughable compared to my Super Hornet.

And if you JUST want to go for speed, I'd go with the Mustang Gamma or wait for the Mustang Omega. Those two are supposed to be the top tier racers from what I've heard.

What I would also recommend is having a look out for ship packages, that give you lifetime insurance. I somehow doubt they are going to sell those after release. I'll have my Redeemer forever because of that. No matter how often it might get destroyed.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm considering getting the LN package, period. I don't mind waiting until beta (at least right now and for the next weeks) and I'm super stingy. I'll trust Patton's allrounder opinion since the technical info looks like black magic to me right now.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Oh yeah, if you are just starting out and you don't really know what you want to do, the Aurora is a safe bet.

I can't wait till we got multi-crew ships working. Manning a Javelin Destroyer with a whole crew is going to be so much fun. ^^

12. Lazybum

The only ones that give lifetime insurance are the ones costing at least 1000$ I think, that's quite a lot.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Hmm the Redeemer Package had LTI before, but apparently that was only for a limited time.

14. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Actually no, that's not true, although it may seem like it. Lifetime Insurance (LTI) was offered for all ships, but only during the Kickstarter and the first 4 months of game development. Then it was offered only on new ship models as they were first released for sale. Also, the prices weren’t that high.

A couple of good things to know about insurance:
    • Everything will be purchasable in game, including insurance.
    • Insurance is cheap… I don’t know how cheap it will be in game, because the economy isn’t up yet, but it’s not meant to be a ballbuster, just an economy driver.
    Finally, more insurance was offered earlier in development, even just 6 months ago, and you can find those ships on sale at http://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/ There are plenty of LTI ships available. Infact (I think just 24 hours ago or so), there was a guy who, due to an eye issue, could no longer play the game and sold all of his original LTI ships (including an m50, and about $2000 worth of ships, at cost, no markup).

I sent Destroyer a PM with a link to one such sale put up last night, where the Aurora LN was up for $30, Arena Commander and all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  15. D.D.D. Destroyer

I have less trust in such trades than will to spend money ;) I'll get myself a deal when I feel like it and have the time.

16. Lazybum

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/2t90cv/wtsamd_mustang_omega_package_32/

Seems like a decently fast ship, and gets me arena commander all for 30$. Actually there seems to be quite a few of those packages floating around. That's a pretty nice place to find ships. It looks like anything with LTI is about twice what it normally went for.

Still, getting that package and the 315p standalone covers all my wants fairly well for under 100$. Neat. Burning with curiosity with what pops up during the sale though.

17. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

As far as I understand it ships are roughly differentiated like this:

• Aurora - the noob ship that everyone will get at the start, can be outfitted for several roles, but does nothing really good.
    • Mustang - the first logical upgrade to the Aurora, can be used as a glass canon fighter or as a decent racer
    • 300 series - good looking ship that might be a good racer or a good enough fighter
    • M 50 - the best racing ship in the game, could also be used as a scout
    • Avenger - not really sure where it excels, but has a sleeping option, that lets you save the game (I suppose players without that have to return to a station for that?)
    • Hornet - the best ship for dogfighting PvP and what you should get if you want to enjoy the Arena commander mode

18. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

... obviously you didn't watch the m50 vs hornet videos XD.

Um, sort of. In both cases the mustang sacrifices durability, and I don't really know... what it's good for at the moment. I honestly think the Aurora is probably better.

The Avenger has prisoner capacity.

The hornet is slow but heavily armored and durable. Better? Yes. Best? No, just as vulnerable to more agile ships (which is most everything) when alone, only superior in a defendable position with cover and will not easily outrun anything.

The 350R is a pretty good racing option too.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Meh, I got my Super Hornet, that weaponry beats everything. Other than that, I'm probably going to specialize in flying my Redeemer and doing troop drops and close support for those.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'n looking forward to mining/exploration/economy and minor support roles in combat.