Squad menu pop up

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Neoony, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Neoony

Neoony Member

I just want to make sure this will not be forgotten to hotfix, so I better make a separate thread for this.

As you might have noticed, pretty much everyone stopped joining squads after 2.7.0
    The change "don't always show the squad menu; only if you have to wait for commandervote AND have enough teammates" made it to never show up automatically at all.

Making it pop up EVERY time you joined a team, pretty much solved the entire "join squads" issue. ( I would say 90% effectivity xD )

The thing that should be discussed is, if it should show up every time you join a team, or just what the change intended (only if you have to wait for commandervote AND have enough teammates)

I personally think it should show up every single time you joined a team, as it was before 2.7.0

Especially because if I ever forget to join a squad, its when the game already started, because I usually want to get into playing instead of having lot of time for it to pop up in my head as it is at the start of the round at commander vote.

Also, not sure why "if there is enough teammates", whats enough? You should do that even if you are the only one at the team not including commander.

Was it really this much annoying? Or why was there this change?
    -----
    Second thing.
    Everytime you invite somebody to your squad, it should mention in the message that he recieves "Press C"
    Example: "I request that you join my squad. (Press C)"

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for the 2nd thing. it would actually be great if you could just press y/n to actually join the squad. maybe include a timestamp so its only valid for x-seconds (like 20s smthg, idk)
    i dont think many have important features bound to y or n (especially not on english keyboards, we germans have our y where your z is - and vice versa - so for us the key is actually quite usefull for the little finger, but i dont think i have anything there actually)

means on the receipient should be prompted
    "Neoony has requested you join his squad. Press Y to accept or N to deny."
    similarily, in case the squad is locked and you request to join it should read
    "Flasche has requested to join your squad. Press Y to accept or N to deny."

(or whatever formulation would be correct engrish ^^)

3. Neoony

Neoony Member

Sounds good too.
    Both keys are already bound to something though, might be a tiny issue.

Although, if it also mentioned Press C, newbies might learn the key function better.
    It might do both though.

4. flasche

could use F8, F9 i think they are unused and easy to distinguish. or PGUP/PGDOWN, but thats a bit long ...

also what is y?

Neoony likes this.
  5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

You guys do realise I already opened a thread about this, right?

https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/bring-back-the-squad-menu-popup.20065/

all you had to do was scroll down...

If you're gonna do that might as well put it in the F-menu instead.

I was going to add to my thread but I'll do it here instead, please add a button "Join squad" alongside the "form squad" button in the F-menu. It puts you in the first available squad.
    We could also get a "invite to squad" button in the F-menu when looking at someone, so if you're close to someone that's not in your squad you can just do quick-invite/join without having to open any opaque menus. And make it work so you can invite people already in a squad.
    Maybe make it available to squadleader only so you don't get spammed with invites when newbies find out.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  6. flasche

but i haet the f-menu ^^

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

All chat?
    I guess thats because I use QWERTY keyboard/layout.
    ----
    I guess I forgot about that "one line" thread XD
    I actually thought about making a search, but then thought "screw it" xD

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

why would you hate the F-menu it's probably the best feature of this game, not to mention all the buttons in the F-menu are still bindable.

well it's not like there's anything else to put in it, it shouldn't have been removed end of story.
    I'm forced to repeat "Press C join a squad" at the beginning of every single round. so thanks whoever had the brilliant idea to remove it.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Having it in F menu might make it harder to describe into the invite message.
    It should also be as simplest as possible.

Especially when it comes to newbies. Its already hard to make them press C, and not F X X.

But as always, it can ALSO go there.
    If it would be there, it can actually be used in the same position as you "Accept" and "Decline" orders from commander/squad leader. It would just get used only when you get invited.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No not the same position, what if you have both at the same time? make it go on the position of squad powers. so you'd have "create squad" "join squad" "accept invite" "decline invite" and kick commander in the middle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  11. flasche

you give the answer right away. one button > multiple buttons, its just more convenient to avoid the F menu. but i agree its a great feature for starters.

12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Is it? because I find it easier to press multiple "easily accessible" keys than ones on the other side of my keyboard, since I only have so keys on my keyboard I prefer F-menu, but why are we arguing? we can just have both.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I do think it would be neat to have that quick menu thing like in battlefield, like for here you hit and hold f and you have all the options just in a circle around the center and you just click it. Would prefer it to have 2 buttons though, one for quick voice chat things like ammo request and a second one to shove all the squad commands in. Just feels faster to me at least, though this might be because I don't really remember the fmenu beyond air support and squad powers...

But yeah, both the simple y/n button and something in the fmenu would be good.

A-z-K likes this.
  14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Battlefield's menu is slower, if you know the buttons to press F-menu is much better.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

How is battlefields menu slower? You just move the mouse in a tiny bit in any direction and bingo it's done.

16. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

which is slower, and you can miss.

17. flasche

mine has 105 keys, thats more than enough :p

(yes i have no media keys)

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I do think this would be better. They are currently nested just so far as to feel slightly awkward. You get used to it easy enough but that's Bo glowing endorsement.

It would be more intuitive to separate squad leader skills I think