Spring(formerly known as TA:Spring)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wereaser, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

How many people here play Spring and under what name?

I'm playing with the name MachineMinded as soon as I finish downloading some maps(speedmetal seems to be the most played map atm). :p

For those who don't know what Spring is: Take a look in here.
    And to get the maps other people are playing: Take a look in here.

I know people have written about this project in several threads, but I thought a thread dedicated for it would be better than a couple of posts in completely unrelated threads. :D

Some pictures of the game in question:
    Big map.
    Watery goodness.
    River battle.
    Ouch.

Game features:
    List of Empires forum goers and their TA: Spring names:
    *Dizzyone - dzzz
    *Wereaser - MachineMinded
    *cpugeek - cpugeek13
    *JJ45 - JJ45
    *Shinzon - Shinzon
    *Empires Noob - The Masta

I'll update this list every now and then. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

doez i ned TA tu pley?

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

been meaning to play but I don't like online RTS games.

I'll stick with TA for now.

4. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Practically you don't need TA to play. All that you need(except for most of the maps and one of the most played mods) comes in the package.

5. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Dee on this one, I mean, I've played with Communities Spring AI before and man... As stupid as you can get, the thing always sends it's commander into my damn base and starts building shit, thus I kill it... Nuclear explosion.... I win... not much of a Challange is you ask me, Oh and by the way, whats the name of that map in the first image?

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you can down,load better AI, like KAI

I play it wereaser, under thew name dzzz
    altho I stopped playing for a month, only 3 more hours left till the highest rank (not that it matters lol)

the new versions seems to be bugged with games with lots of players, which is sad :(

I really love this game, its kinda free. It has ota content, so legally you should own ta to download this, but hey, cavedog went bankrupt, I doubt they could do anything ;p

and that map is called deltasiegeduo, its in a mappack (which wont work now aswell so you'll have to download the different versions individually)

this has to be the best rts ever made, end of story :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

As for AI opponents there's also AAI, it's one of those learning AIs that become quite good after some games(or so I have heard, haven't played against AI yet). KAI seems to be otherwise good, but it it says in it's wiki describtion that it cheats(knows the location of your every unit and building right from the start) and is very unstable. :) I guess I'll have to try fighting some of these AIs at some point.

If more Empires people with intrest play... perhaps we could have a 2vs2 match sometime?

Edit: To play against the AI you need to download the lobby server from the downloads section of the games homepage(It's a small package 77KB in size). To use the lobby server you need Java Runtime Environment(you'll most likely have this already if you happen to play Java games with your browser). Then DL the AI or AIs you want to play against and install them(instructions are in the readme file of the AI). After that just fire up the lobby server from the LAN bat and open up the TA: Spring lobby client. Then connect to localhos and press Ctrl+Shift+H to host a game, after that you'll get a popup where you can setup the game and from there it's only matter of selecting the map and adding the bots in.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  8. Angry

Angry Junior Member

9. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

^_^ ahh finnaly a spring thread.

You cant go wrong with it period. Its has a really sandboxish feel to it, and is tactically complex. Last game I played was like, 3vs3, it ended up being an even macth for a good hour. I got transports to stack 10 nano repair towers in each transport in 10 transports ^_^. Just about 3 seconds for tachyon ahnilliators!!! Ownage ^,^

ps.we lost from bloody nuke spam though >.<

10. dizzyone

lol posting a pic of nuking islands till theres not much left. it was a 2v2v2, i was the only one with anti nukes early on, then later on I ressurected the last guys entire fleet and killed him off with it, and then sent some nukes for fun, my teammate (bottom right) was nuked badly, there wasnt much island left for him to build on XD [​IMG] game took 128 minutes :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  11. picard131

picard131 Member

*mouth gapes open*
    My comp would die. Downloading now.
    Anyway, I think I'll hold off on the apocalyptic-sized RTS's until that TA sequel comes out.

Edit: I downloaded the ten most popular maps, but is that all people play? Do I need others?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  12. dizzyone

the more you play the more maps you're gonna need :) but luckily there is a command that gives you the url to almost every map, you have to type "!search " in the #main channel and a bot will pm you with the links to it.

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

GASP complication

edit: hey, this is pretty fun. ill i do is spend money on making bigger turrets, im up to the quad vulcan plasma gun, and i got 2 adv. kbot rocket volleyers on D. terraforming rox!

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I...
    er...
    eh...
    uhm...
    WHAT?

EDIT:

Oooo. Figured out something evil.

Go to http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm to nab flashget.
    Then, go to http://www.flashgot.net/getit to get the flashgot Firefox extension (allows firefox to send download links to flashget).
    Then, go to http://www.ta-spring.com/maps/ , right click one of the maps, and select "Flashgot All" or whatever. Make sure that when it comes time to set your options for all the file downloads, you're only allowing one ( 1 ) connection per file, instead of the default five ( 5 ). Don't want to flood these nice people.

15. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Niarbeth... Do you know how goddamn much all those maps take? :D Heh. Just checking. Prepare for a hell of big download.

Dizzy, what's that map you were playing?

:D It seems that there are intrested people in here after all. :P I just need to figure all these new units out(there are plenty of more in the XTA alone than what OTA used to have). Then I'm up for a 2vs2 or 2vs2vs2 match. :P

16. picard131

picard131 Member

Damn right I'm interested, I loved TA, and I've been needing my RTS fix for awhile :D

17. dizzyone

I dont really remember the name wereaser :o, but if you really want to know i could look it up in my maps list.

18. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I've tried to get into TA a couple times, but i never have really gotten the hang out it. I guess i'll give it another go...

19. picard131

picard131 Member

Wow...
    I just got smoked. With two battleships and a nuke.
    Btw, Popup turret = best naval def EVAR.

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I think I need to go against one of you guys at some point in a game to get used to it. It seems VERY complicated.