Splinter Cell series (or, why Ubisoft is retarded)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Castrol GTX, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Chaos Theory:

One of the best stealth games ever made. It was one the first games to get 9.9/10 from nearly everyone (now they just do 9/10 for everything). A lot of why I like Chaos theory is sentimental and not critical, like the ambience while the level is loading, etc.

Here's my slideshow/rant showing why the splinter cells after CT are totally bogus and crappy. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how its dark, you can hide, you have goggles that dont look like shit...

Double Agent:

Then it all got retarded. I guess people complained about the storyline in CT being too hard to follow, the graphics being lost on the darkness, and not enough anime drama. So brilliant minds made a bunch of brightass levels in a stealth game, cranked up the graphics and sat back for rave reviews.

[​IMG]

"So I've got to board a ship stuck in ice in the middle of nowhere. Wait, why didn't I just wait 4 fucking hours until the sun went down?"

[​IMG]

"Again, why didn't I just wait 4 fucking hours until the sun went down? durr."

[​IMG]

"olol, its the middle of the day but I'm sneeky. im gonna run around africa during some random tribal warfare shit so that my terrorist boss (a louisiana bum) doesn't suspect me."

Conviction:

Beyond words. Well most, but not 'wtf', 'what are you thinking', and 'what is this, some emo Hitman knockoff?'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Conviction is split into almost sixty 'episodes', each of which take around fifteen minutes to complete"

"You can play for fifteen minutes and go off to eat or..."

Awesome(?)

[​IMG]

2. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I only played Pandora Tomorrow... I never finished it >.>

Conviction looks fun, kinda interested in that whole "another face in the crowd" mechanic.

3. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Dunno, i've enjoyed the series since the first one, and i have high values for any ubisoft game.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I've got both chaos theory and double agent, and chaos theory is so much better.
    The only gripes i've had with chaos theory is that the ai sometimes sees you when you're hugging a wall in the dark and not moving, and the last missions being impossible to get to 100%.
    Somehow they always find a body or see me in the dark, when they're shooting at somebody else.
    Now double agent, that's a different story. After i finished it i almost never played the missions in the HQ, because they suck. Really, only the first mission is worth playing, and the last one on the good ending.

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I have CT and DA. I tried PT when I was ~13, but I sucked at it and it wasn't very n00b friendly.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

In one of the first pictures he sneaks behind someone that looks in a mirror...

7. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

and he's about to get caught. I know that level, they can see in mirrors.

Pandora Tomorrow wasn't the greatest, its really close to the first, but half of it's in the jungle. I don't much like the jungle.

The face in the crowd gameplay is supposed to be Hitman's forte, splinter cell is sneaky, hack your computer, find your secret stuff. All this "you can pick up chairs and shit and throw them!" is like...?

As far as Ubisoft itself, I've seen them pick up Rainbow Six and make Rainbow Six 3, and now Vegas 1&2, then I've seen them take Splinter Cell from 1 & PT to CT (a good thing) then take it to DA and now Conv. So I feel like they're adding more shiney and explosion to get more sales. Then again, GRAW 1 & 2 are good, and other things arent so bad.

8. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I absolutely loved the first three SC games, but I never got around to playing Double Agent.

I too think that having it take place in daylight is questionable, but on the other hand: SC was one of the most awesome looking games of its time, but you spent most of the time playing it in black and white. I can understand why the devs would want to move away from that.

As for Conviction, I wouldn't mind having the good parts from Assassin's Creed put into the next Splinter Cell (which is what it looks like so far) like crowd blending etc.

But I hope they come up with a proper story and don't go with the recent Tom Clancy Game trend of making everything a ripoff of 24, as they did in R6:Vegas, Double Agent, and to some extent in GRAW.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The biggest flaw with DA is how much the trust system affects the game. I found it a real pain in the ass, even on easy where the trust impacts are minimal, to stay in both sides good books. Often, I had to do the objective I didn't want to do so one side wouldn't have its period.

10. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Assasins Creed good stuff? There is really such thing in that .... game?
    *derailmant*
    Never played any SC

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It's very cool the first missions, then it gets repetitive.
    Also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

12. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

the only one i've played is pandora tomorrow.

good game, except for the infuriating stealth missions which were instant faliure or similar if you got spotted.

-------------------
    i just looked at that splinter cell, conviction game. the premise looks brilliant, essentially it's the bourne films as a game. looking at the work in progress trailer though, the execution looks pretty weak.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  13. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I have SC, SC:PT, SC:CT, and SC:DA, and i love them all.

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I can understand everyone who hates it, but I was talking about concepts on a fundamental level. IMO there are so many things in this game that would be awesome if just done right.

The whole "blend in with the crowd" thing is actually pretty cool, so is the "mideval Parkour" stuff, so is the concept "explore the setting, gather info on the target, plan, execute". It's just that the overwhelming amount of bad ideas cancelled out the good ones.

BTW has anyone ever played Hitman? Is it good? Where are the similarities and differences to SC? I only know how not to play it.

15. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Actually that's how I play Hitman: Blood Money :p (Hey all my weapons are fully upgraded so why not use them) .

In Hitman you are given a target, & you have to find a way how to kill him or her, (I'll take first few seconds of the mission in that video for example) you can go gun blazing & kill everyone, or you can find a pack of donuts in the back of a van add sedatives/poison and open the security van, drop the donuts, they'll pick it up, wait til they keel over, go inside & take the security tape & steal one of their outfits.

You don't really hide much in Hitman, & it usually involves killing or knocking out someone & taking their clothes to access new areas & memorizing the target's patterns & actions, as well as studying the environment to find out the appropriate time to take them out, then quickly make your escape when all that is done.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

bad ideas? like the fact that you can "silent kill" 50 people in a row in the middle of a busy street, leaving a pile of bodies behind you, and no one ever notices? I played through it on xbox, I tried assassinating an entire town once. people kept respawning >.<