Spawning vehicles crashes hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by TheAmethystDuke, Aug 23, 2009.

1. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

EDIT: the title should be Spawning Vehicles crashes the Game.

Whenever I try to spawn a vehicle with the emp_vehicle_spawner it freezes my game and then crashes to my desktop.

I followed the tutorial on the empires wiki and I even coppied it completly to ensure no errors would occure.

There are no known errors, and there is no brush or entity that could possibly block or intersect with the vehicle or the vehicle spawner.

I double checked everything. Whenever I enter the trigger_multiple and will then send the SpawnVehicle output on entering the game, it simply freezes and crashes. Tried it again with various chassis, armor types, SpawnOn/Off, weapons, cost, made new trigger_multiples, I made a trigger_once, I made various new presets and spawners, I even created a new map.

It won't work, no matter what I do, on the execution of the SpawnVehicle output/input the game freezes and crashes.

EDIT 2: And when crashing to my desktop hammer freezes instantly and I need to reload the map.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i had no problems on provinggrounds. the only thing i forgot at first was to pass the name of the vehicle_preset to the spawner entity in the trigger_once outputs. that made empires crash instantly when i tried to spawn them, but no freezes or messed up hammer afterwards ...

my two spawners are 16units above ground - the presets are somewhere on the side of the map with all the other entities that dont need to be placed somewhere special.
    there are two trigger_once covering each rax that trigger the spawners when the first player of each team spawns.

but well, apart from my entities being slightly above ground, its basically all setup like in the wiki. so maybe its that?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

if your map logic points to an entity that doesn't exist, or try's to change a variable that doesn't exist, or has anything to do with a non existant something, it'll crash.

Double check your spelling and logic.

I think I crashed a couple times when testing a map for cyberkun with tank spawners. It was entity and logic related.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I had a crash to desktop when i tried to use a logic_auto to spawn vehicles in my map. It stopped crashing when i set up a button instead, so it was probably a logic mistake due to spelling or something.

5. Icely

Icely Member

I also had a similar problem when experimenting with the vehicle spawner. I noticed the crashes occurred when attempting to spawn heavy tanks but not lights. Setting all research to completed seamed to fix this for me, but I honestly didn't investigate further once they were working and it may well have been coincidence.

6. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

I just tested it...

I for one, would be very glad that in the next release of empires, spawning vehicles with unresearched tech would not freeze or crash the game. :pathetic:

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

logic_auto did exactly NOTHING for me ... ^^

i like hammer ...

... not :pathetic:

^^

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Use a trigger_multiple, and shit. I have a working example if you need one of a jeep spawner system. You'd only need to change the preset entity.

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Trickster, why don't you draw up a map with the required variables for a simple spawner.

Box, with spawns, working vehicle spawners.

10. Trickster

I could just break out the old emp_winrar vmf, it had jeeps spawning.

And what's odd is, me and CB spent ages trying to work out why it crashed, like an entire fucking day. Then we worked it out, he fixed it, tested it, fixed it some more.

I have no idea why it doesn't work, but it just stopped working, and we had it working perfectly for unresearched stuff.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Make sure that the logic_auto has a delay before triggering the spawning of the vehicles, the entities take a small amount of time to spawn, and logic_auto is one of the first entities to spawn.

12. Trickster

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034763/emp_winrar.rar

Working Jeep spawner system.
    Uses 1x trigger multiple brush, 3 jeep spawner entitys and a jeep preset per side IIRC. Been a while since I took a look.

PS vmf may not compile, I think I made one of the displacements a func_detail by accident.