Sourcemod Empires won't run

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lawliet, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

So basically I went back and extracted my old Empires version gcfs in order to record some scrim footage. The only problem is I get this error as soon as I go about running Empires Mod.

setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'C:/Program'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting.

I have already tried everything and went on various forums with answers to this for other games. I can't seem to find the vconfig whatsoever nor the game parameter. If you can help please let me know.

I've moved the gameinfo.txt to various locations in order to see if it would run. No good.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Surround the path with double quotes.
    eg: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Blah Blah Blah"

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So, I'ma need to bump this. I did know the solution at one point but I've long since forgotten it. I need some help fixing this so I can use the SVN version of Empires to actually do some "development". Can anyone help me get my SVN version working again?

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have fixed my install, thus I am now able to test and develop Empires again.

For any others who have this issue:

The problem lies within gameinfo.txt

Code:
    "GameInfo" {
    	game	"Empires SVN"
    	title	"EMPIRES"
    	developer "Empires Mod Team"
    	developer_url "http://www.empiresmod.com"
    	icon "resource/steam_icon"
    	manual	"http://www.empiresmod.com/help"
    	type 	multiplayer_only

FileSystem {
    		SteamAppId				218	// GCF for TF2, required for ep2 sdk
    		ToolsAppId				211		// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

SearchPaths {
    			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
    			Game				Empires
    			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest
    			Game				|all_source_engine_paths|hl2
    		}
    	}
    }

Most of that doesn't matter. If like Lawliet, you're trying to boot an old version of Empires so that you can record old scrims, ignore anything that says SVN in there or whatever. The absolute key part is the area that says:

Code:
    		SteamAppId				218	// GCF for TF2, required for ep2 sdk
    You'll find that the number in your version is more than likely 17740, rather than 218. This is the problem. It's trying to hook into the Empires appID on Steam, which it can't, because it's not Steam Empires. Changing it to 218 will fix this, though you will have issues with Empires not wanting to close. But the game will now boot. Having 17740 will not allow the game to start without a tonne of workarounds.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So fission is already fixed by now, eh? UGL is sufficiently useless? Puppies are soft again? :headshot:

EDIT What's SVN stand for? Is it this?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

SVN stands for Subversion, a method of allowing multiple people to work on the same files simultaneously.

8. ImSpartacus

Collaboration, hooooooooooo!

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yeah, i had much fun when several people in my project group worked on the same SVN file simultaneoulsy... :P

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Shutupshutupshutup I know I haven't bought Recettear

11. ImSpartacus

Do you have to avoid the same parts of the file that your teammates are working on?

Is this sorta thing often implemented like Google Docs where you can see where others are currently editing and avoid that part of the document? Although in Docs, you can get pretty fucking close to each other before shit gets crazy.

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That's the beauty of subversion. Anyone can work on any part of any file. You could have ten people all modifying the same function at the same time. What happens is that when they run the commits, the software checks if the file being commited is directly descended from the currently commited one. If it is, then it simply merges it in. But if it isn't a direct descendent, as in this case, it allows the developers to decide what to do. They can keep one and throw the other, merge them together, do all sorts of things.

13. McGyver

I remember when we had an svn conflict 4 hours before the deadline. We couldn't decide what to merge and instead sent the code via Skype to each other. ^^

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No it's not real time as far as I know, I'm pretty sure it functions more as a private cloud service which you upload/update the files to and then the rest of the users have their SVN clients "revise" their local files to the ones that are supposed to be the updated ones.

I would've thought that you of all people, what with your knowledge about tech and stuff, would have known about SVN. It's a pretty old project management system.

15. McGyver

Yup, defo disappointed by Spartacus. I mean, this guy has a Bachelor in something and doesn't know this!

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

And it's always fun when someone forgets to add a file and instead just commits.

17. ImSpartacus

I don't code, but I knew that coders use all sorts of collaboration stuff. I studied investing, insurance, math and statistics in college, lol.