Sound card and USB Headset

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Goose, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Goose

Goose Member

I have a really good soundcard and headphones. The only problem is that the mic that came with my headphones just sucks ass. I have these headphones and use this sound card. The sound is incredible, none can match it. This is the issue. Since I have to use another headset just for the mic, I end up having to wear it around my neck and these headphones on my head. This isn't too bad.
    Here is my problem:
    - The sound card I came with as you can see has a specific hd input that the headphones go in. In order to hook it up and use an external mic, I have to use these spliter cables it came with. So I have the card split into the red, green, blue, all colors of the rainbow audio cords. I also have to do that to my razer headset to then hook it up. So I am basically taking something than can plug in directly and adding converters to both ends just so I can manually add a different device for the mic port.

Simple question now. If I get a usb headset am I able to set it so that the headset inputs only the voice and so I can go back to having great sound and a decent mic working.

edit = on board audio on my comp sucks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

USB headset works as a one unit with completely independent drivers, so it doesn't need any soundcard to work and you should be able to use and setup them completely suitable to your needs.

You can use only the headset mic for voice if you set it up correctly, using headset as input and soundcard as output, but I'd recommend buying usb mic only, if you don't have real use for a full headset, though.

3. Goose

Goose Member

Alright just got back form bestbuy (had a gift card), and got one of those $30 usb mics. Major improvement.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

USB headsets.

If you start a game like CS with the headset enabled, then disable the headset and enable the speakers, the game sound will all run through the headset while all other sounds will play through the speakers.

Or something like that. I used to mess with it when listening to music and playing with headset in CS. It's easier to spam music this way too.

5. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

a related question:

my mic sucks. any good cheapies out there? btw my headphosnes are fine its just that i have to yell just to get it loud enough where ppl bitch about my ic being too low. and yes my receive vol is at max.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I've got a usb headset and while it has it's advantages the biggest problem is that I have to toggle between my headset and my speakers, not cool

7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

You want to max your TRANSMIT volume :p

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

that is maxed also.

by receive i meant "what the mic is receiving." i think in weird terms like that :)

9. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

You can activate your on-board soundcard and plug the mic into that (assuming the headset uses a 3.5mm jack). You just have to make sure that the razer soundcard is primary for sound and the on-board primary for recording. You can set this in windows (sounds in the control panel/mixer) pretty easily and any decent game should be able to copy those settings.

USB headsets make dedicated soundcards pointless.