soo...bf 2142

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grayclay88, Aug 6, 2006.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

people who preordered on EA's downloader got it a day earlier. I'm guessing it was to get people to use their crap.

Anyway, just finished (trying to) play. Couldn't go five minutes without being kicked off the account server :P

2. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

EA is becoming a bit like a monopoly in games publishing. The only big opposite is Ubisoft(of which EA owns 20%). I see a number of problems with EA:

-Firstly they hog a lot of publishers and developers taking competition out of the market and like everyone knows that lack of competition leads to increased prices and lower quality products.

-Secondly they have questionable work practices(overtime without compensation, extreme crunching).

-Thirdly they have an ugly tendency to push out only sure selling gray matter that has little to none innovative ideas in it.

-Fourthly they leech out selling names until they're dry, not thinking about the degrading quality or even plotlines. This results in series like NFS(the first, second and fifth were pretty good, rest... well not so), NHL(new version every goddamn year with only small, usually only graphical, updates), the C&C series( :( I really loved it before Tiberian Sun came out, the point where EA had taken control... Tiberian Sun is probably the buggiest game I can think of in a short period of time. RA2 was a bit of an improvement, but since then the whole series went to hell) and fairly recently the BF series(downhill all the way, if you ask me).

This is just an effect of having too little proper competition. I've been boycotting EA this far, but it seems that I'll have to stop my boycott due to the fact that Valve decided to make a contract with EA for the retail distribution of their games. :( Goddammit.

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Wereaser, there's no freaking need to start another EA-hater thread. It's been done, and it was just a massive flame tank battle.

ANYWAYS, what I was saying about pre-ordering and demos is that in COH if you bought the game, you could participate in the Beta, and I was hoping to get something like that.

I don't see why the people who bought BF2142 couldn't participate in the Beta but the people who had FilePlanet subscriptions could? That's not even consumer-based, that's just .. well, like Wereaser said:

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57636

They still refuse to support widescreen. Why? Because people bitch about WS being an unfair advantage. I'm really......fecking.....SICK of those people. I'll bet some of them have SLI. So, while they are crying about how I would get so see an extra 15 degrees (normal FOV is 90, WS is around 107-108) - you tell me - is that an advantage? I don't think so. Marginal at best.

But like I was saying about SLI - that means people with SLI can turn draw distances higher than some people. Thus, they can see further. But wait, isn't THAT an advantage? So shouldn't all game developers ship games with preset gaphics settings designed around a nVidia GeForce 5200, because, a better videocard costs money, just like a WS monitor does, and that's an advantage people can buy.

I'm sick of EA. I liked BF2, can't say I've played in a bit, but I like it. From what I know, the demo is as buggy as the beta. Thus, I won't touch this game with a 12 foot pole. I think I'll hold onto my money and instead wait for a better softare release - Vista.

5. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Master Bojangl3s, I merely pointed out why I'm not planning on getting the game in question, but if the sheer size of my answer truly disturbs the balance of this thread I shall keep my views to myself as far as this thread goes. :)

6. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

Well, athmospher and effects are absolutly awsome!
    Gameplay is ok.
    I like the new class bounding(assoul-medic,engeniir-AT).
    Vhicles are fun,except of that howercraft tank that can't rotate its cannon.
    Won't buy it tho, since EA will probebly ruin it with a few expansion packs and buggy pathches.

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

the nekomata is the best tank in the game :P

8. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I have a widescreen LCD and I wont be buying bf2142 exactly because of that standpoint.

EA/DiCe's standpoint on widescreen is bullshit. They wont support widescreen (or LCD) resolutions but they will support Creative X-Fi even though only a marginal amount of players has it? Don't those players have an advantage over the others by hearing their sound "more clear" etc? Don't gamers with uberfast laser mice with a gazillion dpi have more advantage? It's more of a "we're too lazy, and we're not gonna bother with it untill it loses us money" kind of thing. I've actually gone ahead and emailed Nvidia to push EA/DiCe into supporting widescreen.

After all, don't EA and Nvidia have an agreement to deliver the best kind of gaming experience under the "the way it's meant to be played" charter?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  9. Chahk

Chahk Member

Pffftt... Omg lol... You've made me spill soda all over my keyboard. Thanks for the laugh, buddy :)

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I think I might buy it. I liked the infantry and ground combat, but really hated those fracking jets that randomly come outta nowhere, and were no fun to fly. Being support and dropping a laser fence, sentry bot, than a sentry turret, sounds fun. Hope they make a infantry only mod T_T. I really dont like vehicles, cuase if someone else decided to take a mech that means they should get 10 more kills than me? WTF?

Think about it, a 16 player map, with 64 infantry=me happy ^_^

11. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I was thinking of saying something along those lines, as well, but I decided it would have just been too cruel.

Well done, sir. :D

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Hey, if microsoft (micro$hit) doesn't mess up on Vista, it'll be something a lot better than XP...I've not touched any Betas, I'm DLing RC1 right now, but from everything I've read, its buggy, yes....but that was months ago....DX10 is a huge improvement, the new audio system looks to be good (streams, FINALLY!)...the 3D desktop seems silly though. That, and its been stated that a simple upgrade from XP to Vista will grant you a performance boost in 3D apps.

As far as the widescreen stuff, yeah - I posted something on the PlanetBF2142 forums...most people posting seemed to hold the same mentality that myself and Letuce stated....but they STILL don't listen. Bunch of idiots. Does the demo even support 5:4 resolutions yet?

13. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

It's plenty of fun if you team up, unless whoever your teamig up with decides to step on your head with a walker :)

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:D Don't tell me you seriously think that upgrading the OS alone will give you more performance? ROFL! Vista is going to be heavy, no matter what you do with it, it will be heavy... I don't need to be a seer to tell you that you'll need more memory and more processing power for the OS alone and that your games won't run faster on Vista than they did on XP. :D Don't believe in marketing BS. :cool:

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Don't tell me you don't understand how 3D and 2D apps work! ROFL! Don't tell me you don't understand how the video hardware works! ROFL! Don't tell me that you think that the driver architecture between Vista and XP is different! ROFL! Don't tell me that I'm an idiot when I do plenty of reading on this. You ever take any serious CS classes? Operating Systems? Compilers? I don't take marketing stuff for granite. I didn't see it in an ad for it either. I saw it in a tech review, wouldn't you believe that? ROFL!

Maybe it has something to do with DX10? You know, that thing that comes with windows that takes commands your game runs, and translates them into commands for the videocard. Ya know? I doubt it'll be the 30-40% they are saying, but I'm pretty sure it'll be there in some capacity.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Have I ever taken any serious Computer Sience classes... :D

Dude, I study computer engineering.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Then you should have a good understanding if you've gone as far as getting into the operating system itself, as well as the hardware level. You should know damn well that a simple driver can affect performance. I don't just mean one driver version over another, but I mean one OS architecture over another. Furthermore, when you get into OpenGL and DX, you should know that you change those, and you can affect performance. Maybe they don't teach that in classes you have taken, as I;ve found most Comp Eng programs to be, well, lacking since they try to cram CS and EE into one major...

My point is that its very possible to increase performance by simply changing operating systems. More so when you talk about going from 32 bit to 64 bit (the differences between XP32 and XP64 in gaming were decent in size, in favor of XP64.)

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The Direct X10 drivers will be more worth to me then any other hoopla junk that they are releasing with it (I dont understand why they spent so much time on some nifty "search" functions... I never use it... I dont loiter all over my HD, its all clean and organzied...)

In any case, Vista will be an improvement no matter what... Disagree? go run windows 95... And tell me about its stability made out of awesome...

19. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

good ole dos.

Somehow my friend has a full version copy of 2142, WTF?!?!

Makes me really whish I was in the beta, where unlocks were actually avaliable.
    Apparently you can mix the classes, so have a sniper engineer and etc >.>, or at least thats what it says for the game info on the main web site and every other site thats selling it. That'll be sweet, I'll get every form of mine avaliable ^,^. Bombaman

20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

For fuck's sake, someone get Niarbeht or PHASER in here. I'm so tired of arguing this. Android, stop being a consumer whore, Vista will suck.

(Best argument from me evar!)