Song for the trailer (Round 2: Classical) Everybody votes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Broccoli, May 6, 2007.

?

Choose the songs you like. You can vote for as many as you like.

Poll closed May 9, 2007.
  1. Action Theme

40.7%
  2. Conspiracy

37.0%
  3. Mili

18.5%
  4. Extraction Point

33.3%
  5. SD2

29.6%
  6. Dawn

11.1%
  7. Demon Awakening

18.5%
  8. Judgement Day

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Okay, here we go again. I want everybody voting this time, there are some great tracks in there. If it's a tie, or if I otherwise feel like it, I reserve the right to go ahead and ignore all feedback, choosing my own favourite :D

Only kidding, but I really do need to get this ball rolling quickly. This poll closes in three days.

All the music can be heard here.

2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Action theme is awesome! :D Plus it's more of a classical and metal mix. It reminds me of Metallica's S&M album. :D

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

conspiracy. Feels more like a desperate struggle thingy and it sounds like it could be from a western :P

Did you make these yourself?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

No, they were all taken from various public domain music sites. Most of them have CC licenses.

My only gripe with 'Action Theme' is that it lacks a climactic finish, but it's something that I'd be prepared to work with. I think any of these would work well (hence my voting for them all).

5. ^Dee^

If it's just a trailer, would licensed music be ok too? (just curious)

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Where can i download these, they're great.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

In the majority of cases, no. I'd have to get permission, and on the timescale I'm working to that probably isn't going to happen. Anyway, it's not necessary given the quantity of free stuff available out there. I don't think CC even requires notifying the artist upon use, provided they are accredited (although I will try to contact whoever wins, they might even turn into a regular player!)

The bottom line is: it would probably be fine, but if some hard-ass decides that they don't like it, then people could end up in trouble. To me it's just not worth the risk.

You can find all the MP3's in the same directory. The names are <artist>-<title>.mp3 (with all spaces removed). There's a playlist.xml file if you're not sure on some of the file names. I'll post up the sites I got them from after the poll has closed.

8. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I think the percentages are mucked up

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

ok i will vote for one of these... and music licences are there for when people try to make money with your music.. which is not the case here.. i highly doubt some guy is gonna be wandering the net looking at video game mod trailers to file lawsuits lol

1. action theme sounds like a crappy midi file too me
    2. cool track.. nice big beat on it
    3. that snare intro sounds off to me
    4. cool agian.. nice beat (almost reminds me of TV theme song)
    5. nash studios coming with heat
    6. too emo
    7. this song also sounds like a midi :(
    8. pretty cool

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Judgement Day is in the lead!

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

is it too late to make suggestions? i just put this in the other thread but i think that that thread outdated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_C7H3ruSh4
    YOU NO WATCHE LE VIDEORA.

-------------
    extraction point totally wins it from me.

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We don't want to put them to sleep with the music.

13. ^Dee^

I would suggest 'Bara no Jubai' if I'm allowed to... Though it may sound a little space explorationy for a certain someone's taste :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgcAfuG_Apc
    youtube of song! =D

ps. I also recommend that film 'Battle Royale.' It's like that 'the condemned' film but not yet-another-ripf-off-of-a-japanese-film :)

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

that movie gives me the willeys.. but yeah i think the new americanbeerwrestlting version is lame

and the 2nd song i like the most.. because its a little bit of newage sounds mixed with old

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Action theme reminds me of operation flashpoint/arma for some reason. Not a bad thing tho. SD2 sounded unreal like. Mili sounded weird to me. The chen ones didn't connect to me.

Anyway, industrial is the classic choice for RTS games.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I won't be accepting any more suggestions, for the sole reason that there has to be a cut-off point. I have to make this decision quite soon, and I know that I have 8 perfectly good tracks here. Not to say that your suggestions aren't any good, they've just come too late. Sorry :P

Judgement Day is in the lead, with more than half the people who voted liking it. I won't say anything else just yet, because I would hate to influence the voting.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Action Theme Action Theme Action Theme Action Theme Action Theme Action Theme Action Theme HOLY SHIT IT IS WIN I can already see exactly how it would look like.

EDIT: Here, try to imagine this as a video (both pictures) and in movement. Listen to Action Theme in the background, start at 01:02. With each repeat of the theme, have a new set of videos play in the same way, and make the videos slide from up top, from the sides, whatever. Kind of like an animated action comic. 01:58 would be perfect for tanks. The last (peaceful) part looks like a good part for comm mode / aftermath of battle.

[​IMG]

If you can't see the imageshack one:
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/Beerdude26/scribble.gif?t=1178555186

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

damn good idea, that might just work...

make it deliberately like a comic... ever seen the film hulk? done a bit like the comic style bits of that, where the screens have big black outlines like a comic panel...

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I can confirm that there may be some split-screen action, provided I can fit it in appropriately. I don't want it to seem out of place, so I'll really have to wait and see, but I would certainly like to include it.

20. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I voted for judgement day, it seemed the best of the bunch (the second one was good too though). which bit of music goes best really depends on the video as the two have to work together?
    I like the (probably over done) way of having a instrumental (e.g. barbers(?) adagio of strings)/choral (either the same one but the choral version, or o'fortuna)/gentle music (like the advert for gears of war with the mad world bit) set to action, fighting etc with very few of the sounds from the fighting in there.

depending how comedy you want it, a light tank chasing a jeep and then being chased by a heavy tank could be jolly (jeep and lt go one way around a corner and then lt reversing / running back again followed by ht). As i say, itd be quite silly