someone said mappers need models

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by cahemdue, Aug 8, 2010.

1. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

I wanted it to look sturdy...

2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

You're going to regret revealing that you're a modeler! REGRET IT!

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Feedback from chris is very similar to being struck in the head with a sledge hammer. it's much more comfortable with some sort of heavy duty well padded helmet or hard hat.

:P

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

but tbh... that sledgehammer is right... you should not put your head in-between a sledgehammer and a random object being sledgehammered

i mean, chris is mean sometimes, or harsh or however you want to call it, but hes right most of the times, exept for color advice... ignore the color advice...

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It'd look more sturdy with a lighter roof, because with a huge roof stuck on a spindly tower it looks top-heavy and unstable.

Sturdy is usually bigger and heavier at the bottom and light/small at the top.

Which is why usually, guard towers rest on concrete blocks set into the ground, have four or more solid steel legs, and then a thin metal framework in the tower itself, and a lightweight tin roof.

That and they are easier to put up that way, you don't need a crane to lift the roof onto it.

Also the legs are odd, they offer more support in one direction, unless you're going to be putting the towers over a straight wall, you should put the legs pointing out in all directions.

And make them bigger.

And add some cross bracing between them, basically build it like a water tower because it's the same basic design.

http://ncwportal.com/media/jpg/photo/2005/grant/2005_george_water_tower

Except you don't need the giant central pipe because it isn't full of water.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

Jeez, it's just a stupid watch tower. You'll complain about my barrels when I make them. They're too round! Don't use so many edges! Oh and it's too flat on the bottom!

Please

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you aren't going to bother making it the best you are able why bother at all?

And since you mention it, yes you should avoid using too many edges in barrels, they're clutter props and so you'll have a lot of them in any given scene, thus you need to make them efficient, people aren't going to be staring at your barrels, make them unintrusive and use lots of them to give the scene complexity rather than making one unneccesarily high poly barrel. I would suggest not making barrels actually because round objects are very inefficient, some sort of squared container would be better because you can use more of them, so design a square barrel and make that instead.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Chris hardly ever provides anything of use, he just wants to point out whatever he can to feel superior. It would seem, though, that with all of his incessant criticism that at some time he would have contributed to the mod with his vast bank of knowledge, but the only thing he ever made was a fancy map that nobody plays anymore for good reason.

so just ignore him

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I point out problems so that you fix then and make whatever it is you're doing better.

I'd much rather not have to, it saves me time and means I get to use good models/maps/particles/whatever all the sooner.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I do the same thing but people usually just say I'm whining or ban me.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, but Chris actually knows what he's talking about in terms of mapping/particles/modelling.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Where did I say anything about mapping/particles/modelling?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You can't be serious right?

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I'm talking about in this thread.

You don't need to know how to make particles to tell that they causing a loss in fps. I suggested adding an official way to turn them off and now that idea is finally being acknowledged.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if your advise is not going to be used by the modeler because you force it on them why bother giving the advice?

then again i do slightly see where its coming from

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You have an odd definition of 'force' if 'explaining carefully' falls under it.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

maybe i am missing subtle contexts here but to me it seems like you are saying "modeler do this" with the whole "and add this and that and that"

im not saying its bad or anything, also i believe you have a point though

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

chris is like simon cowell

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm saying 'to make it better this is what you do'.

If you don't want to make it better that's your issue.