So what all you guys ben doing the past few years?

Discussion in 'General' started by Awrethien, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well I use to haunt the forums back when the mod first came to HL2 and played for years but joined the army and forgot about the mod while playing in a real sandbox while trying to keep my head attached. I remembered about the mod this week while talking about favorite games with a friend at work. Honestly was surprised my account was still in the system. Ive see Doc and JustGoFly are still around. What has been going on the past few years and have there been any big changes since 2009? Ever get those aircraft off the ground?

2. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I'd be interested to hear about this as well; I have git log and the forums, but no time to scrounge around and get a full picture.

3. Ranger

Ranger Member

What? I thought it was obvious that aircraft are out of the question, not only at this stage of the game where there's plenty of stuff more important but also because the game provides no aircraft support in its maps. There is a cute aircraft factory building nevertheless - not in game.

Anyway welcome back Awrethien.

4. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Oh definitely, nobody has ever redesigned empires to include aircraft, and it almost certainly won't happen in the near future. But what else? You know, like, maybe we could have a little "history of the mod", as told by not crazy people?

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

aww id like to drown myself in nostalgika, but i fear i fail the "not crazy" requirements :D

6. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea not to much seems to have changed. I played a few games (Screen name DigitalProeliator) and didn't notice much difference except for the lack of random crashes or lockups that I remember having. But most of them where either infantry or Heavy rushes.

Im not to surprised about the aircraft as even at the time that I left it was being highly debated and I thought it was unlikely as the method being tried was very dubious. But then again the credit system of the original Empires was worse so who knows lol. The only thing that stood out to me was the NF had a new shorter barracks.

7. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

I started playing again this week and have noticed a lot of changes. Mainly people aren't only playing money and rainbow road anymore. There's a lot more nicely designed maps being used. Also lots of icon changes make it look nicer.

Mostly I've been playing Project Reality.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Honestly the game ain't bad. Never has been. Everyone always comes back to play because despite things moving on it still has appeal. You can be 10K hours deep and it's still good. The current playerbase will always be split on certain things but the mechanics don't get that old

Neoony likes this.
  9. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Pretty much this, people will always come back eventually.

Speaking of, I moved to England and live nearish to you now. Beer and empires discussion? You need to do a couple years worth of filling in

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have divorced and a new partner, work as a database design administrator now. and hate on teh empurss nebs from time to time

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You moved from Australia to England? Why would anyone do that? Do you want more rain in your life?

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The job where you know that you royally screwed up two years later. You normalize and select keys and stuff?

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

My sister moved to Aus.
    Yeah mate, how close is nearish? I'll ride up to you and we can catch up, I'm still living in the same area.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have 2 underlings that do all that stuff, i just make the design architecture and make the master UML's. also customer interaction.

15. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

For April Fool's add the Aircraft Factory to both teams and then just color red for Northern Faction.

The only thing that can be spawned is flying jeeps, which should still be in the code somewhere. If it isn't, just make it fire a bunch of ent effects.

Then forget to remove it for the next three patches.

16. Nivlystug

Nivlystug Member

There were plans to make aircraft a thing? Bizarre.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

there were plans to implement boats

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I want boats.:(

Good thing I have palmbay. :)

19. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

*takes a bow*

Ever fear the Jekotian battleship

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I remember flying around in a plane of some kind in that large grand canyon map once. Could've been a jeep, i can't recall. Had a nice HUD though.