So, let's talk about ramps.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by PwnedYoAss, May 27, 2017.

1. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I know someone suggested this before, but how about placable ramps? What's the consensus on this. Seems to be it'd be hilarious but, I'm not so sure it'd be great for gameplay.

2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I support this. It allows you to have cool walls AND get out of base!

Lets make combat immobile again!

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I think I was the one who suggested ramps and everyone told me to shut the fuck up.
    I could take or leave them at this point really. Tank combat is so fucked up, its hard to enjoy vehicles.

4. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Well seeing as theyre going for a more "realistic" approach. I doubt they would go for ramps.

Would be fun tho

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here's an example of ramp-wall synergy for you guys : emp_money.

I like the map because it's unique but I oppose ramp-wall synergy.

6. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Elaborate.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You get to send tanks out while having "pretty hard to break" walls.
    This is just so effective that people will do it like, every, single, game, on every single map that has a chokepoint.

8. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Hm. Even there were engineer placable ramps, you'd simply invalidate walls all together. So, let's see where this goes. Would putting constraints on the ramps for angle, size, usability, and other such things do them any good?

So, for example ultra low angle ramps. Only allows for half-health walls or something.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Still. Fully-built, half-built, doesn't matter, it's still an obstacle.

People (with IQ above 70 and not newb) WILL always do that because hey, you just place them on chokepoints and boom, your base is 100% guaranteed safe, why not?

If you wanna block off an entire line, you need to cost something other than 100~200 res, now you cost "your own team can't access freely as well", which looks fine and balanced.

EDIT : Also, just like emp_money, if you leave your base you can't come back, I am seeing a lot of drama from this as well.

10. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Hm, so even if the ramps in question only allow vehicles to ramp over, say non-built walls? That is, we're talking about placing a ramp, behind a wall. What if their health was, the equivalent of a non-built wall fully built?

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This one I didn't even bring up, even though I editted it in, I think this whole synergy is going to be a combination of "people drop ramp-walls everywhere" and "Fucking hell I can't get back to my base for repair, stupid comm".

In short, no, I don't think this is gonna do any good to the gameplay.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

bad idea pya, you can do better than this

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

14. Ranger

Ranger Member

emp_money is a bad exampru. You only get attacks from one direction so it's easy to defend. In dustorm it would be different. But ye, I don't find it a good idea either because it would make empires all about ramps and walls. Even if you give ramps to engineers to give a tool to the invader to enter the enemy base, this will just mean the whole offensive operation will be about tanks protecting the engineers while they build the ramps so that tanks can get over the walls. It's not - UH-mmersive. Why even bother building those ramps? Just kill the walls, but then the defenders have the advantage cause they can roll out tanks.

It's kind of a gameplay-breaking circle. I would rather have gates instead of ramps. And gates could be.. like sabotaged by scouts to remain open or stuff like that. They would be both entry and exit point in the walls and they would keep infantry out. Weakness is scunts. their health could same as walls or higher. in RTS games, the gates are usaully stronger as far as i can remember.

If we bother implementing gates i would appreciate if the wall placement allowed interlocking.

Edit: Mr. X. guh... literally seconds difference

15. Paradox

you derp

the entire thread everyones saying what about chokepoint maps.

16. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

remove chokepoint maps from Empires. I have (mostly).

17. Paradox

Chokepoint maps are fine if you have many choke points and flanking options -> Streets of fire
    Chokepoint maps that are purely cokepoint are fucking shit -> slaughtered, flasche his map duno what its called etc etc

18. MegaMLGgaming

MegaMLGgaming Member

Gates

19. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't see why you felt the need to type that. Okay... I guess..?

Well, you shouldn't worry about chokepoint maps if you are. There's less space so fire can be focused on a few walls, destroying any fortification (and possibly ramps) faster. I don't see ramps being used in really tight chokepoints like S bend. It's suicide. Once you're out there's no return, that's pointless. The wall itself wouldn't last for long anyway.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I actually like choke point maps because its easy as fuck to direct a team to where to go and what to do. There is only one direction I need to worry about and its forward. Where on open maps I need to have seperate squads going in each direction and if a single one cant do thier job we are at a huge disadvantage.

Regarding ramps, make them like 200 per ramp so you cant spam them like you can with walls.
    Maybe put a prop limit on them as well. That way people get thier ramps and don't invalidate walls or spam them.

Last edited: May 27, 2017