So I started to play dwarf fortress again.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, Feb 11, 2011.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I already managed to destroy 3 enthusiastic fortresses.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i did play it too recently, i have this really awesome fortres sthat keeps falling into tantrum though thanks to gobbies

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Training soldiers takes for FUCKING EVER

I seriously just dug a big pit, installed a few bridges and hatches and holes in the ceiling to make it escape proof but still accessible, and dumped goblins into it one at a time while my squads were at the bottom just to speed up training a bit.

I've got steel coming out my arse and dozens of masterwork weapons and platemail lying around the fortress but the actual skill to use them is non existent.

Fortunately I also have a legendary mechanic so I just covered the entrance bridge with ☼large serrated steel disc☼ traps.

Sadly the dragon which blew up my bridge didn't turn them into !!☼large serrated steel disc☼!! traps but he did manage to produce a !!urist mc dumbass's partial skeleton!! which has been burning for several months now.

Not only that but I have to drain the goddamn lava moat to fish out all the boiling goblin corpses. It never fucking ends.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

try putting soldiers in a room filled with upright spikes that use wooden training spears, connect them to a lever and put pulling it to repeat

soldiers will be trained with proper armor in a year to very decent skill, or be dead if the armour didnt succeed

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah yeah I know about danger rooms but I really can't be arsed, besides it still wouldn't make them any good at hitting people and all those silver maces the goblins bring every siege still work through armor.

I've had a soldier running around with a broken hand for a few years and wielding both an axe and a shield in one hand because I have zero gypsum on the map and the trade caravan doesn't bring any when I ask.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

danger rooms do train weapons in meele only a bit slower then armor

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not as far as I know, as the dwarf isn't attacking anything.

You swing weapons to train them, you dodge to train dodging, you do stuff in armor to train armor use, you block with shields to train shields.

8. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

Won't they gain skill from blocking the spears with their weapons? If I remember correctly that is what I read about it at least.

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I don't understand the new military screen. I didn't manage to get any soldiers :(

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

il explain in short for you brutos

basically, now soldiers need to have a barracks or they are a militia (they don't train there weapons etc and act like civvies UNTILL you give them an attack order, then they will armour up if available)

basically what you do is this

1. you press "m" for military view, then create a squad with "c" i think it is, and you fill it with people

2. place a bed or an armor/weapon stand in a large room (8*8 blocks is ideal, but larger for more squads) and make (with the "q" selection for building properties) your squads you want to live there have all the settings (z for sleep, t for train i and q for equip) enabled on this barracks
    this will be your dojo, then add some stockpiles of the supplies you want them to wear inside the dojo for convenience (little bit of food and drinks, some armour and mele weapon (standard they wear any armour type and a personal choice mele you can set this in the military tab under uniforms)

3. close all menus, and press "s" in the squad menu, put your squad on training/active

you now have a working military squad

for extra points make them station (move in "s" menu in a room where you throw in gobbos or put in training spears that go up and down over and over for maximised training (since sparring works really slow now)

11. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I tried something like that but well it didn't seem to work. I'll look into it in some weeks if I understand it.

12. Cloud

Cloud Member

Argh, now I need to play DF as well again..

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Is it me or is it much easier in DF2010 to generate goods for sale? I manage to get enough finished goods to buy everything from the first caravan. Afaik in older version it was not so easy.

14. Zeke

Zeke Banned

its super easy and always was... but if you too heavily increase your fort value, then it will just mess ya up.

Wealth triggers Goblin sieges, annoying nobles, megabeasts and immigrants (which needs all logistics sorted etc)

so yea.... dont instantly spam stone crafters spewing out high quality items.... unless you want "fun" and suddently have 50 immigrants arriving followed by a big siege or megabeast while being right in the start.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i always do this, but i should be starting slow lol

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Same here, I usually manage though, I spend a shitload of time making traps too

17. Zeke

Zeke Banned

traps are for wuzzies.

18. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

wats dwarf fortress is it free

19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

omfg it looks worse than minecraft

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

LOOKS yes