Smokes de novo

Discussion in 'Art' started by Z100000M, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Lol if you want custom coloured ones all you need to do is ask

2. Z100000M

So I tried making vehicles leave gaps in smoke clouds as the pass by

I managed to do that except this is how it seems to work for now.
    [YOUTUBE]v2ns_dHW95w[/YOUTUBE]

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

it should be long enough to attack. 20 secs

there should be a long wait before you can throw another

4. Z100000M

I managed to get a really nice effect going but the whole thing completely goofed out when put anywhere near walls.

I had to try to limit this, but it causes the effect to be less noticable. Oh well, i tried.
    [YOUTUBE]j599RMqyp60[/YOUTUBE]
    Im oging to work on something else for real now, i cant bear to look at this again lol.
    Also fuck being unable to use in-editor game launcher to immediately check the changes, having to waste like 4 minutes loading, going through com time or building the cv to check how a single change affects collision is what made this thing last like 4 days instead of 1.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

so instead of it flying up you pushed it down?

6. Z100000M

No, that was just weird glitchy speed interaction.

In the next but still glitchy version the effect was much better and they flowed to the sides as you drove by. Again, i couldnt keep it this way because any sort of an angle nearby made the tiny sprites spray across the map.

Now the clouds on chassis level still move, but anything near the wheels not so much unless you drive really slowly or multiple times. Shoulve tested this on tanks, but for some odd fucking reason it doesnt affect jeeps or infantry.

The only thing ive not tried is what i assume is (thanks, half assed documentation) a variable that could increase the search radius. Maybe it will work. Probably wont.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  7. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Not sure about particles but for most other content there is a console command to reload everything. Try typing 'find reload' or 'find flush' in console.

8. Z100000M

Well, since the editor is ran by changing the properties of empires, i cant have two run at the same time. I have to close the editor, change properties, launch empires, load a map, wait 60 seconds, do whatever, close empires, change properties again and launch the editor.

Now normally you dont have to do this because you can change view to the game inside the editor. This being empires however none of your binds work and none of the usual auto stuff (choose team, spawn etc) works either.

9. Z100000M

Works a bit better now.

I blame models.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

If you are just testing shit out on a listen server you can put "exec testing"(without the quote marks) in the listen server config right at the end. It will automatically execute the testing cfg which puts wait time to 1 and lets you build vehicles without a vf, among other things. You can also just add whatever commands yourself to the listen server cfg like debug build or increasing research time, or just make a new exec cfg and pop any commands you want in there.

Or just type exec testing right when the game loads, it's up to you on how lazy you want to be.