Smokes de novo

Discussion in 'Art' started by Z100000M, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Just so everyone knows, this has not been abandoned, however its impossible to add another weapon to the game without code support thanks to way empires works. So no new smokes untill we can get a new version out.

Also made a vehicle version.

Its all going to collect dust in the meantime. Back to fixing other particles.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I told you it didn't work, but you didn't believe me, why didn't you believe me?

How come you can't just change the smoke grenade to use the particles? Or is it wonky and won't let you do that for some reason? Infantry weapons are one of the things I'm unfamiliar with.

I know for certain it's easy enough to add vehicle weapons though, that's something at least.

3. Z100000M

Every grenade besides HEs seems to be dependant on using code related stuff to work. From what ive seen the best i can do that works with the setup is changing the particle of he grenade, but it would require everyone to download it and we all know thats not going to happen. It would also be a smoke thats deals assloads of damage.

The actual old smoke used by the game is some bullshit. It doesnt even use its assigned particle, which hilariously enough is actually a giant explosion, id assume used to test if the codewerks correctly supress showing it.

If you say vehicle weapons are different then ill take your word for it. I made the thing but honestly didnt test it.

I swear to god i didnt notice this. Duck my life. I spent the whole day looking through the scripts, smashing my head against the desk and calling myself a retard for "obviously" missing something before catface finally told me whats what.

Oh and trying to fiddle with the old smoke grenade in any way leads to a very nice crash so thats a no go. It would spew its pepper gas anyway even if i could force it to emit a particle. Changing the material that gives its current effect also crashed the game on starup. Funtimes.

I also just realised that its got a funny interaction with grens. On one hand, have fun trying to mortar anything through that screen, on the other hand have fun charging into a cookie jar. I swear i want to see a smoke 9 mine so bad.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Z100000M

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

sexy indeed. Still having something weird with grens?

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

tres cool

7. Z100000M

grenades are a no go untill we get new version capability back.
    This however can be used on servers, but still, people would have to download the particle themselves.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That looks amazing, but I still think it's covering too small of an area.

9. Z100000M

I have to say i somewhat agree, but making it much larger kinda makes it look like shit.
    Ill see if i can do anything with that thuogh

10. Z100000M

[YOUTUBE]YCMq7lk9Tyo[/YOUTUBE]

Fucking lol this is not what i expected when trying to make the particles not go under the ground and make the terrain impact the smokes shape.

Of course i forgot to mute the music because it wouldnt be me if i was thorough.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Airstrike marker grenades.

The future is now.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I was totally thinking markers too.

Before I was thinking it doesn't stay quite long enough, though. When you made the APC cover and it blew away after about 4 seconds...that kind of timing seems a bit low. Unless that's just the test settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  13. Z100000M

Why do i keep hitting edit instead of quote.
    ````
    Its set to last 30 seconds, you sure about that?

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Totally not. It just looked like it lasted for 5 seconds in the video :p

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That seems like a really cool effect for a naplam grenade or something, just make it more orangery and reddish. Would look even better, and function a tad better, if it was a cluster grenade, meaning it fired a bunch of grenades with smaller blast radius with a higher projectilespread. That's a bit off topic though, but think about it ok?

Also eurobeats is good shit.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

speaking of airstrikes, back when i first started playing, i thought the scout binocs were for calling airstrikes that the grens use their squad skill for

17. Z100000M

Thanks for this incredible input lamer

In other news, i managed to make the particle bounce off walls so it doesnt magically penetate the walls anymore. It still clips a bit but its either that or the sprites going haywire. The only weird interaction is when there are two walls close to one another, as the particle will care about the closest one and happily push past the other. I hope this will a be a rare occure, itd be a shame to have to axe this effect. I may be able to tweak the effect later on but im happy enough with it as it is.

[YOUTUBE]_fTJfjagMKo[/YOUTUBE]

If there are still any opinions/feedback about the thing please repeat them.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  18. complete_

complete_ lamer

i already said it was cool on the last page. what more do you want

19. Z100000M

Comments on size, colour, duration.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

make it rainbow colored so people walking through it want to puke?